stupid 636. help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:32 PM

yak600 is an unknown quantity at this point
stupid 636. help please

searching SL and SR for help. 03 636 with 12k miles. bike started clanking under a load yesterday. you could hear it and feel it in the pegs. at first i thought the front sprocket was worn and the chain was jumpin. so today i took the cover off and watched it while trying to do a burnout. sprocket or chain didn't jump. and now i cant get it into second. first, nuetral and more neutral. i dont know bent shift fork? internal issues. how much of a pain to open tranny
Old 08-02-2010, 09:49 PM
handicrippled

swampy is a decent person
Re: stupid 636. help please

the tranny its self can be a pain in the *** but if ya rip the motor out, flip it and remove the oil pan you can take a look inside to see wats goin on in the tranny. but the tranny itself you gotta rip the motor completely apart and split the case, which at all possible i would try to avoid cuz that could end up being expensive. like i said i would just drop the motor, flip it, take the oil pan off, and take a look to see wats wrong. the shift forks and drum are right there to look at along with the tranny gears.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 AM

thanks for the input. at this point dont have much of a choice.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM

richd3000 is a decent person

Please keep this thread updated with what u do or need to do. I also have a 04 636 with tranny problems and have not tore it apart yet. Mine slips outa second into neutral right at the rev limiter. I was told that u can pull radiator, header pipe, then oil pan to see ur forks n drums with out droping the motor. Then I was told if u pull clutch basket, u can replace the drum and forks with out droping motor. They say once u removed the shafts and drum n forks u get a clear view of the tranny gears. U will need to rotate motor over to see all around em. But yeah I was told u can do all that with out droping the motor. And if gears are bad I believe u can flip motor over and split botom with out having to take head or cylinders off at all. I'm sure ul have to pull clutch basket n flywheel tho.. Hope this helps. Keep this updated please!!!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:39 PM
handicrippled

yes you could do it with out dropping the motor but its just easier to do it so you can flip the motor
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 PM

ordered a spanner clutch tool from rockymountain atv. was the cheapest i could find around unless someone knows otherwise. gonna try checkin it without droppin motor.only problem is 3 forks and drum are 265-300 dollars. i had a guy email me with an engine for sale for $350. tryin to see if he still has it. another guy has one for 800. so do i replace the forks and drum and hope the dogs arent messed up or just get another engine and then fix this one once its out
Old 08-04-2010, 09:29 AM

itkonlyyou213 is a decent person

Hello! The burning hot summer arrived, this is the demonstration stature good season,
the retreat winter sincere appearance, lets lithe, the individuality, the fashion,
the sex appeal, mature you start from here! Has a good news to tell everybody: Recently,
every bought full 200 US dollars in this company, then has the present to see off,
Vietnam which buys delivers are more, please do not miss this good opportunity!!!

===== http://www.bizboysell.com ====

Air jordan(1-24)shoes $33

Handbags(Coach l v f e n d i d&g) $35

Tshirts (ed hardy,lacoste) $16

Jean(True Religion,ed hardy,coogi) $30

Sunglasses(Oakey,coach,gucci,A r m a i n i) $16

New era cap $15

Bikini (Ed hardy) $25

FREE sHIPPING

====== http://www.bizboysell.com ====

▍ ★∴
   ....▍▍....█▍ ☆ ★∵ ..../
   ◥█▅▅██▅▅██▅▅▅▅▅███◤
   .◥███████████████◤
 ~~~~◥█████████████◤~~~~
Old 08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
handicrippled

go on ebay, you probly could find some shift forks and drum for hell of a lot cheaper. about 2 years ago me and my buddy replaced his and he found them on there for something like 50 bucks. but its never bad to have a spare motor lying around either. it all depends on how much your wanting to spend
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 AM

ya.nothing on ebay right now. might just have to find someone that goods a good discount on kawi oem parts.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by richd3000
Please keep this thread updated with what u do or need to do. I also have a 04 636 with tranny problems and have not tore it apart yet. Mine slips outa second into neutral right at the rev limiter. I was told that u can pull radiator, header pipe, then oil pan to see ur forks n drums with out droping the motor. Then I was told if u pull clutch basket, u can replace the drum and forks with out droping motor. They say once u removed the shafts and drum n forks u get a clear view of the tranny gears. U will need to rotate motor over to see all around em. But yeah I was told u can do all that with out droping the motor. And if gears are bad I believe u can flip motor over and split botom with out having to take head or cylinders off at all. I'm sure ul have to pull clutch basket n flywheel tho.. Hope this helps. Keep this updated please!!!
I ended up getting an 04 motor with 2k miles for $800. engine is very easy to take it out put it. it went well for my first time. if you take oil pan off you can get the drum and forks out once you got the clutch basket off. but if the dogs(the knotches that lock gears together) are worn on the gears you wont be able to see them unless you actually take them out. you will only be able to see the teeth of the gears through the oil pan. if you need a manual for it let me know.