f4i kill switch not killing engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

ny450 is a decent person
f4i kill switch not killing engine

bike starts and runs fine, but yesterday while practicing i hit the kill switch and it BARELY killed the bike...made it idle very low until it died...any time i tried after that, the kill switch doesnt turn the engine off. i took the kill/starter housing off, 2 wires white/black and all black come off the kill switch. the white/black looked loose so i pulled it off to re-solder. when the wire was off, bike wouldnt start. with it re-soldered the problem is the same. runs fine, but wont kill.

any ideas what to check next? harness by the forks looks fine, maybe a relay in the tail section? 2 wires touching somewhere?...if so, which wires would it be? i want the kill switch to work...im learning circles and am crashing alott lol.

help would be awsome
thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: f4i kill switch not killing engine

Does turning the key off work?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Topek is a decent person

My 4 wheeler did that the kill switch went bad replaced it and it worked
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM

ny450 is a decent person

yes turning the key off works
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

ny450 is a decent person

just checked engine shut off relay on subframe..looks fine, nothing at any of the harness connections look out of the ordinary...i find it weird that the kill switch would go bad? maybe try re-soldering the 2 wires from the switch again? i only did the white/black wire...maybe the all black one is stretched too..gotta go buy my own soldering iron, sick of borrowing friends
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by ny450
just checked engine shut off relay on subframe..looks fine, nothing at any of the harness connections look out of the ordinary...i find it weird that the kill switch would go bad? maybe try re-soldering the 2 wires from the switch again? i only did the white/black wire...maybe the all black one is stretched too..gotta go buy my own soldering iron, sick of borrowing friends
if you have a friend with an f4i, try his kill switch
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

usually when the killswitch goes, the bike will not start at all, so i'm perplexed...i know i use too big words
Old 07-13-2010, 02:49 PM

ny450 is a decent person

yeah thats what i was thinking...im going to resolder the 2 wires to the switch tonight and if that doesnt do it, ill be perplexed with you...i mean it wont kill me to rock it key-only...wont have to worry about mid-wheelie kill switch hits to flip over bars lol. i just prefer to have it

Last edited by ny450; 07-13-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:54 PM
bp chaser

downstream of the kill switch is the starter button, and then the relay. is your starter button wiring bad? The headlight control circuit goes through the starter button, if thats wired wrong it could keep sending power to relays
Old 07-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I'd just splice the wires on the MAIN HARNESS so the kill switch doesn't work, then just use the key for stunting

Serve two purposes, one you wont hit the switch on accident and crash.. Two, I get to laugh and give the finger to anyone who trys to kill my bike while riding down the road
Old 07-13-2010, 03:59 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I'd just splice the wires on the MAIN HARNESS so the kill switch doesn't work, then just use the key for stunting

Serve two purposes, one you wont hit the switch on accident and crash.. Two, I get to laugh and give the finger to anyone who trys to kill my bike while riding down the road

thats so fun
Old 07-13-2010, 04:06 PM

ny450 is a decent person

Originally Posted by MikeM
downstream of the kill switch is the starter button, and then the relay. is your starter button wiring bad? The headlight control circuit goes through the starter button, if thats wired wrong it could keep sending power to relays
thanks alot mike ill definitly check that out..the whole signal/hi lo/horn harness is bypassed and the headlight is just wired to an on/off switch so its possible somethings bad there...the only weird thing is i've had the same wiring since i got it and never had the problem. if i cant figure it out, ill just take towliee's suggestion...not gonna be too much fun trying to grab the key when the bike is on the cage spinning in circles though loll
Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts

not gonna be too much fun trying to grab the key when the bike is on the cage spinning in circles though loll
I have my killswitch hidden behind my plastics and last year my airbox mod fell off the back of my airbox and lodged itself behind the throttle body sticking it at WOT and it was revlimiter circling in one spot it was the scariest thing ever to jump on the bike pull in the clutch and turn the bike off in one shot. the point of my story was to say that I need to relocate my killswitch to somewhere operatable lol
Old 07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
bp chaser

thanks alot mike ill definitly check that out..the whole signal/hi lo/horn harness is bypassed and the headlight is just wired to an on/off switch so its possible somethings bad there...the only weird thing is i've had the same wiring since i got it and never had the problem. if i cant figure it out, ill just take towliee's suggestion...not gonna be too much fun trying to grab the key when the bike is on the cage spinning in circles though loll
nothing on the left side controls are related to the operation of the motor, except the clutch switch, but thats not the problem here. do you have your wiring exposed enough that you could unplug the right side controls from the main harness while the bike is running? that would be a good test
Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I guess it just depends on how high your idle is and what your gearing is, plus what cage you have.. But really I have no problem catching my bike when its on the ground spinning

I usually just grab for the clutch, then pick the bike up with it still running
Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM

ny450 is a decent person

Originally Posted by MikeM
nothing on the left side controls are related to the operation of the motor, except the clutch switch, but thats not the problem here. do you have your wiring exposed enough that you could unplug the right side controls from the main harness while the bike is running? that would be a good test
yep that shouldnt be a problem..when unplugging the clip from the harness while running, what should i be expecting? if the bike dies, that would mean its something wrong between there and the switch correct? (most likely meaning the switch is shot?)
Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM

KennyCBR600F3 is an unknown quantity at this point

does your bike sit outside in nasty weather sometimes or in a moist garage? i have seen many many times where the contacts on the switch side of the housing will get corroded and it will then trace itself through the wire causing high resistance... i would try to pinpiont your problem with a multimeter and a wiring diagram for your bike... so you dont go replacing a bunch of parts that dont need replaced... imo
Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM
bp chaser

yep that shouldnt be a problem..when unplugging the clip from the harness while running, what should i be expecting? if the bike dies, that would mean its something wrong between there and the switch correct? (most likely meaning the switch is shot?)
the engine should die when you unplug it. if it dies, the problem is related to one of those switches in there. if it doesnt die, the problem is elsewhere
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM

ny450 is a decent person

bike dies when right side harness is unplugged...resoldered both kill wires, same problem. didnt notice any other bad wiring within the starter or headlights really..maybe the killswitch is shot.

i was thinking maybe try to figure out a dirtbike killswitch somewhere, but thats when i get the time...as of now the bike rides so im happy haha
Old 07-14-2010, 05:18 PM

Hazen is a decent person

Soldiering wires to a bad switch does nothing.

Do you have a multi-meter?

Put it on Ohms and test for resistance. One reading should be something very low, and the other reading should read OFL, or open.

Quick Reply: f4i kill switch not killing engine