How to register a bike - I am foreigner

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Jarpen is a decent person
How to register a bike - I am foreigner

I moved this topic from open discussion as nobody looks there...

Hi lads, I am from Poland and I work at the summer camp here. I wanna buy a bike but have a problem. I found a one, but the guy is saying (confirmed in PENDOT) he cannot sell me the bike until I'll be able to register title on my name. I cannot do so because I dont have PA drivers licence. So maybe transfer my Polish licence to PA one? Not a chance- my visa has to be valid at least one year (it's for 4 months). What can I do? He said maybe try in a different state, the law is different. I found out. In NJ I can register the bike on my own name without us drivers licence, it's a bit more expensive BUT... I have to be US resident.
SO tell me now- is it absolutely necessary to have the title on my name to be formal owner and drive it legally? Can I just buy a bike, leave it on seller's name and pay the insurance? I'll be here 2 more months and I wanna ship the bike to Poland then. Help me please I wanna ride a bike so desperatly

BTW: where elsce can I look for a bike than ebay.com or craiglist.org? the prices over there are just sick...
I checked kawiforums.com as well but lots of ads are far away from me (18469)
Hands please please please

Jarpen
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM

Topek is a decent person
Re: How to register a bike - I am foreigner

All I can say is call pendot
Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 PM

yea but tell me guys how would it work for you. like if you are buying a bike from someone, you are paying in cash... and what next. the seller is signing off the title and it goes with a bike to you, yes? you have to go with it to "someplace" to register the title on your name. BUT- Can you just have this title signed off by seller, ride a bike and have the insurance for the plates which are already on the bike?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Topek is a decent person

In PA you need the title noterised aka stamped by the pendot station. So you and the seller go to the pendot station and he signs the title over to you there
Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 PM

back to topic (still w/o a bike)
so I've got to go with the fella to pendot- so... I cannot buy a bike in the middle of nowhere at 3 am- true or false?
BTW, lads in Geico are saying I need PA drivers licence haha or they're giving me 30 days to bring a new one....
Have anyone tried to insure a bike for previous owner's plates?? And God damn if my body rides a bike I cant get the insurance for his bike?
American Dream for f... sake....
Old 07-17-2010, 09:56 PM

projekt_eden is a decent person

Brother, having grown up in Pennsylvania I'll tell you that they have some of the most restrictive regulations.

To get a state license you must prove residencey. To prove residency you need to have a combination of paycheck stubs with your address on it, or utilities i.e. gas bill, electric bill, cable bill, with your name and address on it. Things like that show them you are actually living in the state you say you're living in, at the address you give them.

After you prove residency you can just go to your dmv (department of motor vehicles) and take your permit test which is a written test only. After you get your permitt you can then go back and take your drivers test, which will be the actual driving with an official who passes or fails you.

This is a lot of running around and it's time consuming, perhaps another option is for you to check into getting an "international" drivers license with your Polish license.

Basically its like this...

1. you have to prove residency to get a permit
2. you have to get a permit to get a license
3. you need a license to get insurance
4. you need insurance to get a bike registered and tagged in PA

Let us know if you need any more help
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Topek is a decent person

Take a trip to Florida I just registered my bike in Florida and I live in PA and still have my ny drivers licence
Old 07-17-2010, 10:56 PM

Topek is a decent person

In Florida you don't need bike insurence
Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pszddd
welcome to: http://www.shoesforking.com
The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike,jordan,prada, also including the jeans,shirts,bags,hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment.,after the payment, can ship within short time.

kill yourself.