crash cage

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 12:54 AM

Wheelie Boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Test 1: park a 12, and kick dat **** over...
Old 08-06-2003, 11:21 AM

gsxrtigger is an unknown quantity at this point
Heres my facts.....I got a 905 cage on my GSXR 750 and crashed it three times this past week. The first time, nothing happened cuz it just slid on its side. The second time, I broke a clutch handle, my choke switch, mirror stay, and made a crack alittle bigger on my right side upper case(it was already cracked so it just got worse). The third time, the whole handle bar broke on the left side cuz I didnt replace the mirror stay. Each crash did not cost more then 50 bucks. First crash - $0. Second crash - $75. Third crash - $35. So, from those last experiences my Racing 905 cage saved me alot of money. Just to note, those crashes were all done doing 12 o'clocks at anywhere from 10mph to 25mph.

I never used a FI cage, but I've seen them in action. My buddy has one and the first two times he crashed with his, it wasnt a good time. He broke his engine case one time and bent his subframe another. I also saw Darius at WBBF Round 3 do a 180 endo and dropped the bike on its side from almost 12 position and it broke his engine case too. That was not at any speed neither. So to me that FI cage would not look like it would hold up at a faster rate of speed.

But to insure that both cages get proper criticism, a crash test would be a great idea. Maybe we could even do it with a crowd like at a major event(WBBF) so people could put some bets down. Or even get more volunteers to do some crashes. I'm down as hell for some crashes.

Hope to crash soon or atleast see them live. PEACE
Old 08-06-2003, 11:45 AM
Regular StuntLifer

JPFREESTYLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by SIC GSXR
Hi, I am Nate from S.I.C RIDERS in San Diego...www.sicriders.com .
We are sponsored by racing905. I must first say that even though I've heard negative things about the F.I. cage, I am not here to bad talk anyone and feel that it is not very professional or appropriate for others to do so here, especially when they have not even tried other brands to have a basis from which to judge.

Big props to Kyle Woods for being the man.

That having been said, let me tell you what I do know...

The cage that I have from racing905 is made of chromoly, which is both lighter and many times stronger than steel. It is what sand rails (dune buggys) and "real" roll cages are made from.

I have personally crashed my bike at 50-60+mph after hitting the 12 o'clock bar due to a mistakenly engaged throttle-lock(junk!)
Needless to say, the bike flipped several times and hit VERY hard on the cage, resulting in less than $300 in damage and a still fully functional bike that I am still riding. The 12 o'clock bar was made of steel and bent severly and was replaced, but the cage is still in use today.

I know for sure that the bike would have been a total if not for racing905!

I am glad that Kyle put it out there to perform tests for it will only further both companies and our sport. Aaron (owner of racing905) is definitely willing to donate to this test and is excited for everyone to see the results.
What kind of bikes do they have cages for? How much do they go for?
Old 08-06-2003, 12:06 PM

David P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
hey kyle. give me a call.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:11 PM
On Probation - Rebel member

420f4i is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by italy929rr
What kind of bikes do they have cages for? How much do they go for?
i think youre in so cal right? they will custom make a cage for your bike. does not matter what year of make or model. they will pik your bike up at your door & bring it back a couple days later. a very good service for around 250. thats how much they hooked me up for but i got mine done with 4 other people.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:36 PM

Swedie is an unknown quantity at this point
They do make them custom to each bike so you can have it to your personal preference...or to your bodywork if it is different.

If you have a pretty stock bike that is newer or common, they do have access to bikes from a local dealer and many friends from which a generic cage can be made if you did not want to bring your bike to them.

They will work with you...I don't know that they could personally pick up everyones bike from their door, but who could?

Just give Aaron a call @ 619-210-4777 or go to racing905.com
Old 08-06-2003, 04:14 PM

yeah they obviously wont pik up ur bike if your not in the area. i live almost 2 & 1/2 hrs away & they met me 40 min from my house. but if ur around san diego they will pik it up if u call & talk to aaron
Old 08-06-2003, 05:17 PM

BTB Preston is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by gsxrtigger
I also saw Darius at WBBF Round 3 do a 180 endo and dropped the bike on its side from almost 12 position and it broke his engine case too. That was not at any speed neither.
Correction needed here. While Darius usually sports the cage on his bike, he only had the sliders on at the WBBF 3 event. You can look at the pictures from the event and clearly see that he did not have the cage part on the bike during the comp.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:41 PM

jethro426 is an unknown quantity at this point
this is a good thing to have companies competing over the consumers. this will only lead to a better product at a cheaper price.
From freinds experience the FI cage is made out of a thinner steel and it dose bend under load. But if the cage doesnt give the frame will ,so it is a trade off.
I am getting a cage made from a local welder for 150$. It is a heavier gage steel than the FI and has sliders on the end. We will see if it holds up.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:20 PM

DREWdmi is an unknown quantity at this point
I just bought one and its holding up great
Old 08-06-2003, 06:45 PM

wp42098 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just got a fi cage and so far all i got is a scratched mirror and a crack in my fairing no complaints here
Old 08-06-2003, 08:22 PM

Ed LegionST is a decent person
i built my own cages and scrape bars plus a few for friends of mine i attach them to the shock mount instead of the subframe some people like it better that way i live in new jersey my email is edmurowski@yahoo.com if you would like me to build something for your bike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	28644  
Old 08-06-2003, 09:08 PM

mikelocal12 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think FI has some new fierce competion. The 905 cages are very beefy. I think someone should take the FI cage and the 905 and battle it out. Just keep on dropping the bikes see how much damage is done and see which cage comes out on top.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:58 AM

GSE_Anthony is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by eddie1000
i built my own cages and scrape bars plus a few for friends of mine i attach them to the shock mount instead of the subframe some people like it better that way i live in new jersey my email is edmurowski@yahoo.com if you would like me to build something for your bike

You got mail!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:30 AM

gmantci is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by SIC GSXR
Hi, I am Nate from S.I.C RIDERS in San Diego...www.sicriders.com .
We are sponsored by racing905. I must first say that even though I've heard negative things about the F.I. cage, I am not here to bad talk anyone and feel that it is not very professional or appropriate for others to do so here, especially when they have not even tried other brands to have a basis from which to judge.

Big props to Kyle Woods for being the man.

That having been said, let me tell you what I do know...

The cage that I have from racing905 is made of chromoly, which is both lighter and many times stronger than steel. It is what sand rails (dune buggys) and "real" roll cages are made from.

I have personally crashed my bike at 50-60+mph after hitting the 12 o'clock bar due to a mistakenly engaged throttle-lock(junk!)
Needless to say, the bike flipped several times and hit VERY hard on the cage, resulting in less than $300 in damage and a still fully functional bike that I am still riding. The 12 o'clock bar was made of steel and bent severly and was replaced, but the cage is still in use today.

I know for sure that the bike would have been a total if not for racing905!

I am glad that Kyle put it out there to perform tests for it will only further both companies and our sport. Aaron (owner of racing905) is definitely willing to donate to this test and is excited for everyone to see the results.
For what it's worth......

I'm just a guy familiar with metals. I sell fasteners and "per print" components. I am not a stunter nor do I have a "crash cage" attached to my bike. I've been reading this thread and want to squash a common misconception. Chrome Molybdenum (4130 steel) a.k.a. "chromoly" is not any "lighter" than common cold drawn steel tubing.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:48 PM

Ed LegionST is a decent person
Originally posted by gmantci
For what it's worth......

I'm just a guy familiar with metals. I sell fasteners and "per print" components. I am not a stunter nor do I have a "crash cage" attached to my bike. I've been reading this thread and want to squash a common misconception. Chrome Molybdenum (4130 steel) a.k.a. "chromoly" is not any "lighter" than common cold drawn steel tubing.
its not lighter but it is stronger so you can use less material so it will be lighter its strength to wait ratio is higher
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 PM
P.O.B. Rider and F.I. Owner

TIM @ P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
cages

First, if you are not a paid advertiser on this sight like we are, you're stealing. Lets address the issue of chrome moly... Yes it's stronger and you can run thinner tubing to make the cage lighter but then you sacrifice how much you can hit the ground without grinding through the cage, not to mention the increased cost of production. Also, when you custom build a cage or any other item there is no repeatability in production so the whole item has to be replaced when it is damaged. The fact that every part of the FI cage is replaceable from loop to bolts saves time and money. We are testing a moly cage right now to see if it is too strong and damages the bike before the cage flexes and does it's job. The wall thickness will still be the same thick tube for longevity and wear so the cage will still weigh 10 pounds. The FI cage is designed so that when the bike contacts the ground it has three contact points, the cage and the tires. This helps keep us from breaking clutch levers, handle bars, pegs. Also, if you did not get away from the bike it is less likely to crush your leg because the bike is suspended by the cage and sliders (which has replaceable Delron tips). The cage is easily removed and installed so if you want to drag knee you can just run the extended slider from the cage and still be protected. Remember, that the cage, just like the bike, has to be maintained because of what we put them through. This includes checking the bolts to make sure they are tight because loose bolts have been linked to cage failure. A quick background... I have built countless race car chassis, dune buggies, motorcycles, and have been in the automation industry for the last seven years. I put substantial amounts of research and time into what's needed, wanted and and don't just throw something together. Some people don't know, but I am Tim Barnes from Point Of Balance and I compete all over the nation and crash just as much as anyone. I feel like I have a fair amount of insight as to what works and what we need, not to mention the feed back I get from fellow riders to help make the necessary changes for optimum performance. I have had the foresight to file for the patents on cages. Since there has never been anything like it, the idea is considered unique and is covered for twenty years. Legally, you should not attempt to manufacture and sell cages for street bikes. To the comment of fierce competition, I am 36 with a wife and 4 kids and I am one of the 4 people in the US that can park a high chair with no thumb break. I do not register fear. I have been married too long.lol
Old 08-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Regular StuntLifer

Swurve is an unknown quantity at this point
DO you have a video on your site of you parkin a highchair 12..that i want to see...I'm not doubting you, i just really want to see that
Old 08-08-2003, 02:12 PM

David P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
we have video, but its not uploaded on the site yet. our site is under construction, but i am sure that there will be video just as soon as our web guy gets it together.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:33 PM

so ur sayin if someone builds a cage of any kind its illegal. that sounds like a monopoly to me? i actually have a fi cage on my f4i. so im not knockin ur product. its a great cage. but there are also cages that work just as good. and with my 905 cage, it doesnt scrape in the canyons so i dont even have to *** with takin the cage off. sure my fairings might get scratched if i go down but the cage will not cause me to go down. also how is lettin people know they have a second choice for cages stealin. this forum is open to the public and its whole purpose is to help better the community. last time i checked monopolies were illegal so wut wrong with lettin people know they have a second option. and if the metal is stronger it will take longer to grind through. oh and i paid 250 and got my **** installed and painted. a very good deal. www.racing905.com or u can get fi here at stunlife. both very good products!

Quick Reply: crash cage