My ATown Cage review

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep
My ATown Cage review

I made a deal with slidewayz to help him ship a bike he was buying from my area and in turn I would get a free ATown Cage. I figured that was a good deal since my current SI cage was beat to ****. In the long run dealing with the headache I had to deal with it really wasnt a good deal for me as I had to do a shitload more than I was told I would have to do but in the end I got the cage with a set of sliders and was happy.

The cage was beefy - probably too beefy. Overall it seemed as if it would do the job and work extremely well. IMO now that Ive ran the cage and so have a few friends, it's definitely overkill. I hate saying this cause Atown seemed like a really cool dude but it is what it is at the end of the day. I put a new tire on and went whipping into an O. The cage was tight as it was just put on. Since I wasnt used to the tire I pancaked the bike on the left side. I grabbed the cage to see if it was loose which it wasnt and then I got back up and did the same thing so essentially 2 pancakes in a row with a tight cage. I started getting used to the tire and didnt pancake my bike after that and didnt pancake the **** or really drop it hard for about a month when my friend says your frame is cracked. Indeed it was and I knew exactly when it was from. Here's a pic of the crack. It didnt start out so big but it eventually spread into the gusset. Prior to spreading into the gusset it did crack straight through though.

Name:  DSC00891.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  123.4 KB

Besides my cage issues I know my friend Tone who is learning has had some cage issues of his own. He's went through 1 of each side of his ATown cage. His first was bent like shown in the picture below. The cage then broke at the weld which is shown in the following pic. ATown was kind enough to send him a new side for his cage at that point which was cool but he then broke the weld in the same exact spot on that new side.

And here's video of Tone's drop that broke his cage the 2nd time around. Granted there were a few hard drops in there but when I had my SI cage I used to pancake my bike a million times more than that and didnt have the cage breaking frames and cages that easy. On a side note, for those of you who havent already checked it out - check out www.stuntbums.com for the most up to date info on the stunting world lol. Instructional videos on things we all need to know if we dont know and just an all around good site. Now that XDL LA is over the stuntbums will be recording full time and there's a lot more to come.

http://www.stuntbums.com/Blog/tone-learns-idle-part-1

I have one more friend who had a problem with the weld breaking in the same spot that Tone broke his and he just welded it on his own. That broke after 2 or 3 pancake drops. From what Tone told me this is a common occurrence recently according to ATown. Dont quote me on that cause I'm going off of 3rd party information. Besides all that on the F4i the cage was a shin buster and I bruised my shins plenty which kinda sucked. So IMO only while I think the cage is extremely strong, I do think you could wind up destroying your frame which destroying an F4i frame is not an easy task. Anyways, just posting up my review which Ive been putting off for a while. Hope no one gets mad at me for this review but if you do so be it. This is my honest review. I was pissed as hell when I realized my frame was cracked from 2 pancake drops

I guess let the hate begin
Old 06-25-2010, 04:18 AM
www.myspace.com/impaktech

Dick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud ofDick Loogie Stunts has much to be proud of
Re: My ATown Cage review

good review IMO
Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Dick Loogie Stunts
good review IMO
haha. knew you'd chime in soon lol.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:01 AM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

no hate my friend but i do wish you would of contacted me first and let me try to make it right. there has been a few issues on the newer F4i cages do to they were being welded at the spacer in the slider tube. i seen how other cage company's welded the spacers and did the same to save time. well i guess that was not a good idea sence they use 1/4in spacers and i use 1/2 and i was not getting the same penetration they were. i realized this after a friend of mine had this happen then it happened to tone. i thought it might be a freek thing but then it happened to my cage so i quickly started a new process to fix this problem and now it is solved. there was bound to be a issue somewhere down the road it couldn't be perfect off the bat.

Plus this would be considered a broken weld so it is covered under warranty!
Old 06-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Certified

Bray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant future

**** me, i just got an Atown cage.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bray
when did you or it
Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM

MERKK is a decent person

Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Certified

Bray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant futureBray has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
when did you or it
I got it about 2 months ago... i think its the new design... i havent rode with it yet though
Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

I got it about 2 months ago... i think its the new design... i havent rode with it yet though
if its not used send it back and ill replace it with a new one. if its used and if you are worried send it back and i can make the appropriate mods and send it back. or you can just keep your eye on it and if this happens i can fix it?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Certified

if its not used send it back and ill replace it with a new one. if its used and if you are worried send it back and i can make the appropriate mods and send it back. or you can just keep your eye on it and if this happens i can fix it?
PM sent.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
iridear6 is a homo

aut117 is a decent person

never had any probs from anything i have got from atown...theres problems with all cages and in my opinion he makes the best cage out there, and for those that are having problems it sounds like he is more than willing to help you out
Old 06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
NealFoReal

no hate my friend but i do wish you would of contacted me first and let me try to make it right. there has been a few issues on the newer F4i cages do to they were being welded at the spacer in the slider tube. i seen how other cage company's welded the spacers and did the same to save time. well i guess that was not a good idea sence they use 1/4in spacers and i use 1/2 and i was not getting the same penetration they were. i realized this after a friend of mine had this happen then it happened to tone. i thought it might be a freek thing but then it happened to my cage so i quickly started a new process to fix this problem and now it is solved. there was bound to be a issue somewhere down the road it couldn't be perfect off the bat.

Plus this would be considered a broken weld so it is covered under warranty!
Honestly it was just a review - no hate intended on my end and no reason to contact you. I know tone has been in contact with you but I sold my bike with a cracked frame coz I was too lazy to take the **** apart to get welded and it was time for a change anyway. I mean would you have got me a new frame if I called - then yeah I shoulda contacted you if so lol. Hopefully some of these things can be worked out coz it could be a baller cage. I just think it's too strong and you've already worked out the weld issue so you should be good money. I would just pull the back of the cage in a little so you dont bust your shins on it coz I've rode other bikes with ATC's and you dont bust shins.

Just posting up a review coz I have had a bunch of people ask me whats up with the cage so just one squids opinion on the cage just like I posted my review on SI.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 AM
Certified

Reviews are the new hotness.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:55 AM

Turtle will become famous soon enoughTurtle will become famous soon enough

Reviews are the new hotness.
don't be a squid and you wont brake it....homo
Old 06-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Certified

Originally Posted by Turtle
don't be a squid and you wont brake it....homo
oh is that it? In that case i could of saved $ and ran no cage
Old 06-25-2010, 12:40 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

lol

you wont break it if you run sliders........just saying it will keep the impakt off of thee motor mount only like that 30 dollars for sliders or 400 for a frame up to you
Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

Originally Posted by aut117
never had any probs from anything i have got from atown...theres problems with all cages and in my opinion he makes the best cage out there, and for those that are having problems it sounds like he is more than willing to help you out

yes sir got a new phone today call me i dont have your number
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Zippy Tie Rider

Tone The Natural is just really niceTone The Natural is just really niceTone The Natural is just really niceTone The Natural is just really niceTone The Natural is just really nice

Originally Posted by slidewayz89
lol

you wont break it if you run sliders........just saying it will keep the impakt off of thee motor mount only like that 30 dollars for sliders or 400 for a frame up to you
Neal was running sliders. If you look at the video where I broke my cage for the second time I was running sliders too.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:57 PM

ryans900 is a decent person

ive ran atown since i started never anyother cage so i dont have much hate for othere i know friends with si and 905 even fi and ill tell you one thing i used to crash at least 60 times a day learning circles and these wernt no drops.....str8 up yard sales and hard highside pancakes never buted **** ive never had to replace a handlebar a footpeg nothing (fi cages break this **** constantly) and ive thrown my bike everyway u can possibly throw a bike now onto the subject i was the first atown cage to have this happen like 3 months ago he fixed it for me then started to design the cages better so now i believe they are weld and plug welded all around the slider tube so they aint gunna break anymore on to the shin issue i can say ive hit my shins no riding just like hoping to save it from crashin but never while riding (good ) LOL thats my 2 o and someone who say there to strong is wrong i bent mine when handstall went wrong and it hit a loading dock haha what do i know im just a squid...

Last edited by ryans900; 06-25-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by slidewayz89
lol

lol I ran sliders. I had them cut from delrin I got so got nothing to do with the sliders. Matter of fact, the sliders busted off from the 2 pancake drops that broke the frame Thats when I hit u up and asked you for a set.

Quick Reply: My ATown Cage review