929 vs 900 RR low end

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 08:59 AM

ProzaK is an unknown quantity at this point
929 vs 900 RR low end

So ive never ridden a 900RR before until this past weekend or should i say done No throttle hand on one..

last bike was an f4i.. made decent low end power.. fine for NTH stunts..

hop on the 929.. the 929 is a bitch to do NTH crap cause it makes NOO power under 3k rpms...

got used to it.. can pull em off ok..

got on the 900 this weekend rockin some no handers..and NTH

HOLY CRAP what a difference.. i was riding them for days...

SO question is.. if i take out the flaps in the 929 exhaust will it make more low end ? or what can i do for more low end power ?

its got a serious dead spot where youd ride NTH and im 2 down 7 up..

WHAT CAN I DOOOOO
Old 08-05-2003, 10:10 AM

David P.O.B. is an unknown quantity at this point
im glad you asked because i am having the same problem.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:13 AM

yambike is an unknown quantity at this point
This is something that bothers me about the 929 too. My gearing is stock front and +5 rear because I still do some cornering. So the slowest I can get is like 15mph with any consistency.
I had a D&D (loud crap) and power commander on there but I took both off and put the stock can back on and the low end seems to be the smoothest so far with this setup (bone stock).
It still has a dead spot between 2K-3K and then it starts to surge at 3.5k. That's what is making it hard to slow them down to like 5mph. It just doesn't run cleanly down low. I'm starting to think that the only way to get really slow is going 1down 10up, but then I'd have to say goodbye to cornering.
Help!!!!

(I bet the the GSXR 1000 is great for slow wheelies. I've seen kids do burnouts so slow on them that you can see the spokes turning. That's torque baby!)
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 AM

is the 954 the same way ???
Old 08-05-2003, 10:46 AM

I've heard that the 954 is a little better than the 929. Rick from PBR was riding my friends 954 up in IL and he didn't want to get off of it. lol. so im guessing its better. I have also heard that the 954 is a lot more solid and stable in slow wheelies.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 AM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
I hate 954's for stunting,.. I feel like they have less low end then the 900 and 929.......

With a stock exhaust and that flap in there you should have PLENTY of low end power on the 929.. Its when you go and put a full exhaust on them that you lose the low end power..... Underzen's had sick power from 0rpm all the way up. He was just one down on it
Old 08-05-2003, 10:51 AM

ftrain is a decent person
Originally posted by ProzaK
is the 954 the same way ???
Not sure but I will let you ride mine to try once she is working again.

As for torque at the low end you need to increase the backpressure. Putting a more restrictive exhaust on will build up backpressure and increase your low-end torque. The draw back is that your top speed is reduced. Back pressure = low-end torque but reduced top speed. Reduced backpressure = increased top speed but reduced low-end torque.

Maybe weld the whistler on the tip to increase backpressure and get your whoo whoo game on.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:04 AM

lmao @ the whistler tip. I got an idea from my contact at M4 and I am getting a shortened pipe, really short pipe, that is suppose to do exactly what nags was describing and help my low end. when i get it done i will post up and let you guys know how it works.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:08 AM

yambike is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by nags
I hate 954's for stunting,.. I feel like they have less low end then the 900 and 929.......

With a stock exhaust and that flap in there you should have PLENTY of low end power on the 929.. Its when you go and put a full exhaust on them that you lose the low end power..... Underzen's had sick power from 0rpm all the way up. He was just one down on it
This makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my bike (maybe the airbox flapper or something). But I've seen a lot of dyno sheets for 929s and they all seem to show a dead spot between 2-3K.

Man this has been bothering me. I'm glad someone brought it up.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:14 AM

yep its really pissing me off too.. i cant belive how much it effects low speed stuff.. ive been doing no handers for a while.. and i did them at least 3 times farther on a 900RR that i wasnt even used to.. only because the power was there... there was soo much more room for error.. on a 929.. u gotta be perfect

if anyone can find a way to get more low end DO TELL

so removing the flaps is bad ? cause it seems like as soon as the flap opens at 3k it gets some nut...
Old 08-05-2003, 12:50 PM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point
i have the same problem with my 929, thinking of going back to stock exhaust, and maybe just shortening up the can a bit.

I'm going to get the thing on the dyno next week to see if it can be improved.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:54 PM

Def let me know what works best...

cause i need more low end BAD
Old 08-05-2003, 07:39 PM

jethro426 is an unknown quantity at this point
my friend rides a stock 929 and when he put a on d&d slip-on he lost low end and it caused a dead spot in the low rpms.

I disconected the exustvalve on my gixxer and it made it run worse under 5k. leave that alone.

I think a power comander might help. or just get a RR cause there the bomb
Old 08-05-2003, 07:42 PM

nags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for repnags User spends way too much time asking for rep
leave the flap with stock headers... the flap creates more back pressure at low rpm's... More back pressure = more power down low.

or just get a 900rr