2007-2008 ZX6 recalls

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 03:58 PM

psychoJIMstunts is a decent person
2007-2008 ZX6 recalls

Heads up on the Valve Cover Gasket recalls. If you haven't had this done (and many of you are rocking used ZX6's) there is a recall for the valve cover gasket through Kawasaki. You can run your VIN through your local dealer and they can tell you if it's been done, if not they will do it for free. Now here's the the two heads up to look out for..... first, since they are going to have the head off, you might as well get the valve adjustment (which is normally 6hrs labor....most places will do it for 2-3hrs since they are getting paid already for the valve cover gasket)....

Now the problem (and we just ran into this, the past few days). Make sure you take it to a good dealer. Guy brings in his bike last Thursday for the valve adjustment (which he ran about 6,000 miles over adjustment intervals) and had already had the gasket recall done, the cam shaft holders had been over-torqued and were cracked. He didn't get the extended warranty when he bought the bike, so it wasn't covered.... We are getting Kawasaki to cover this anyway on good faith, but for those of you with the ZX6's in these model years, make sure to check this out. Obviously I recommend the warranty if you can swing it.... (if this guy were to get turned down by Kawasaki, the job is well over $1000 to fix, the 4-year unlimited mileage warranty is only $670).

Hope I've helped someone, be sure to look out for this if you are also buying a 2007-2008 ZX6
Old 03-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Someone Teach Me!

Maztamynd is a decent person
Re: 2007-2008 ZX6 recalls

Is there a time limit to apply for this warranty? My 1 year warranty just ended last week on my 08..
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

this has been on here a million times
Old 03-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Someone Teach Me!

Has it? Then would you know the answer to the question? I'm not on here alot. So maybe I missed it. Unless you're talking about the gasket recall.. yeah I'm sure most people have seen or heard of that. I've had that done and all up to date on my services. I take mine to the dealer I bought it from. Only Kawi dealer in town. I'm sure they do a decent job, but you can never know for sure I guess, though I've never had any problems.. Just curious about still being able to buy the extended warranty or not.

Last edited by Maztamynd; 03-21-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:13 PM

KANE>NIN is a decent person

Originally Posted by Maztamynd
Has it? Then would you know the answer to the question? I'm not on here alot. So maybe I missed it. Unless you're talking about the gasket recall.. yeah I'm sure most people have seen or heard of that. I've had that done and all up to date on my services. I take mine to the dealer I bought it from. Only Kawi dealer in town. I'm sure they do a decent job, but you can never know for sure I guess, though I've never had any problems.. Just curious about still being able to buy the extended warranty or not.
**** warranties
Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM
The Reverend Freestyle

warranty doesnt matter at all.....its a recall. as long as you have proof you are the owner of the bike they will do it
Old 03-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Someone Teach Me!

I know with the recall.. I've had that done. Not worried about it. I was reffering to just extending it in general, if there was a deadline or not. Just in case something stupid happens like Jim was referring too with the cam shaft holders getting overtorqued and cracked.. Or anything else random that can happen. I still make payments on my bike.. Don't wanna be stuck with it broken down because I'm out of warranty when I didnt have to be.. Just a precautionary measure.. Why not..
Old 03-22-2010, 03:29 PM

KennyCBR600F3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by psychoJIMstunts
Heads up on the Valve Cover Gasket recalls. If you haven't had this done (and many of you are rocking used ZX6's) there is a recall for the valve cover gasket through Kawasaki. You can run your VIN through your local dealer and they can tell you if it's been done, if not they will do it for free. Now here's the the two heads up to look out for..... first, since they are going to have the head off, you might as well get the valve adjustment (which is normally 6hrs labor....most places will do it for 2-3hrs since they are getting paid already for the valve cover gasket)....

Now the problem (and we just ran into this, the past few days). Make sure you take it to a good dealer. Guy brings in his bike last Thursday for the valve adjustment (which he ran about 6,000 miles over adjustment intervals) and had already had the gasket recall done, the cam shaft holders had been over-torqued and were cracked. He didn't get the extended warranty when he bought the bike, so it wasn't covered.... We are getting Kawasaki to cover this anyway on good faith, but for those of you with the ZX6's in these model years, make sure to check this out. Obviously I recommend the warranty if you can swing it.... (if this guy were to get turned down by Kawasaki, the job is well over $1000 to fix, the 4-year unlimited mileage warranty is only $670).

Hope I've helped someone, be sure to look out for this if you are also buying a 2007-2008 ZX6
they dont take the head off to do the recall... all they do is take the valve cover off n replace the gasket... its not the head gasket replacement... its just the rubber valve cover gasket... i had this done on mine while my bike was at powder getting done... i just took the motor to them.. so that tech made money off me... even though warranty doesnt pay dick... he still made money..
Old 03-22-2010, 04:40 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

Originally Posted by Maztamynd
I know with the recall.. I've had that done. Not worried about it. I was reffering to just extending it in general, if there was a deadline or not. Just in case something stupid happens like Jim was referring too with the cam shaft holders getting overtorqued and cracked.. Or anything else random that can happen. I still make payments on my bike.. Don't wanna be stuck with it broken down because I'm out of warranty when I didnt have to be.. Just a precautionary measure.. Why not..
I wouldnt worry about that.....super salesman doesnt know eveything like he thinks. if they **** up your motor you take it back to em and shove it up there *** or take it to court.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM

KennyCBR600F3 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya if the so called "tech" that worked on it tightened bolts too tight on the cam holders then someone needs to put a small torque wrench in his hands and make him only use that to torque cam holder bolts down... cuz they arent that tight to where hulk needs to be called in to torque them down... probably 8 foot lbs max on those