stator or rectifier

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:19 PM

WILL215 is a decent person
stator or rectifier

first i tried searching my comp is slow will take a month, so im ridin along bike starts to lose power dies battery is dead, not enough juice to crank over, now do you think this is more the stator gone bad or the rectifier? also how do i test the rectifier??
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough
Re: stator or rectifier

sounds like the stator.....
Old 03-10-2010, 10:23 PM

thats what im hopin cause i have an extra one of those
Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

+1 on the stator
Old 03-10-2010, 11:21 PM

psychoJIMstunts is a decent person

regulator rectifier. The stator can send the current to the rectifier, but if it's not converted, the battery will not charge. Also, it will cut out because there is no voltage, and it's not charging the battery. If it was the stator, the bike would start until the battery went dead, but the bike run once started. Good news is, the stator runs directly to the rectifier, so you can test both pretty much by taking off your seat (well, depends on where your rectifier is mounted) and all it takes is borrowing a good multi meter from a friend. Rectifiers are freaking cheap as **** on ebay, or order aftermarket from "Rick's" at your local dealer for less than half the cost of the OEM.

It's hard for the stator to go out, unless it's hit on that side.

Just my two cents.....but what do I know, I only work for Kawasaki.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by psychoJIMstunts
regulator rectifier. The stator can send the current to the rectifier, but if it's not converted, the battery will not charge. Also, it will cut out because there is no voltage, and it's not charging the battery. If it was the stator, the bike would start until the battery went dead, but the bike run once started. Good news is, the stator runs directly to the rectifier, so you can test both pretty much by taking off your seat (well, depends on where your rectifier is mounted) and all it takes is borrowing a good multi meter from a friend. Rectifiers are freaking cheap as **** on ebay, or order aftermarket from "Rick's" at your local dealer for less than half the cost of the OEM.

It's hard for the stator to go out, unless it's hit on that side.

Just my two cents.....but what do I know, I only work for Kawasaki.
i have a multimeter to test it, my rectifier is on the left side of the subframe easy to get to once i take the tail off to test... bike wont crank back over not enough power if i jump it itll run but then die as soon as i take off the jump box... So how do i test cause if the stator is bad it will only read batt voltage, but if the rectifier is bad it will read jus batt voltage, so how do i tell which one?
Old 03-11-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by BrknGsxr
i have a multimeter to test it, my rectifier is on the left side of the subframe easy to get to once i take the tail off to test... bike wont crank back over not enough power if i jump it itll run but then die as soon as i take off the jump box... So how do i test cause if the stator is bad it will only read batt voltage, but if the rectifier is bad it will read jus batt voltage, so how do i tell which one?
What's your bike? PM me and I'll give you my shop number and you can call me tomorrow. If I have the service manual for your bike I can tell you what every reading should be. Voltage coming from the rectifier should be roughly 12.4~13v. I would be lying if I said I know exactly which to read coming from the stator, but it sounds like the rectifier (based on my own experience) Which would be nice if it is, because you can pick up a used rectifier for cheaper than a new stator cover gasket in most cases.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:37 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

i had probs w/ rectifier on my 05 gix and would run the battery down slowly till voltage was too low to crank... rectifier is easier and cheaper to replace...i would try that first. plug a new one in charge the battery and then start it up and test the voleage at your battery, should be a little over 13v
Old 03-11-2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by beardo
i had probs w/ rectifier on my 05 gix and would run the battery down slowly till voltage was too low to crank... rectifier is easier and cheaper to replace...i would try that first. plug a new one in charge the battery and then start it up and test the voleage at your battery, should be a little over 13v
thats the thing i have an extra stator but no rectifier, so i can change the stator out but before i go thru all that i was gonna see how to test it, i know there is a way to check the rectifier by usin an ohm tester but im not sure exactly what wires to check an what the ohms are
Old 03-11-2010, 03:15 AM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

i might have an old rectifier off my 05 600 but i know the plug got melted on it from a bad conection, but it still worked, you can have it if i can find it, just prob have to solder your plug onto it for a permenant repair if you wanted/ needed to keep running it. i think you could prob plug it in the way it is and see if your chargeing tho...lmk...beardo
Old 03-11-2010, 12:21 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

ok, to test the stator unplug it...turn the multi to AC ...jump the bike and let it run from the battery pack..test the stator at the plug..if u got juice ur good and the rectifier is bad...easy as that
Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

the stator is basicly a generator....if the flywheel is spinning fast enough the stator will create electricity...just remember the meter has to be set on AC

the rectifier is a converter and converts AC to DC to charge the battery.. thats it in a nutshell
Old 03-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
the stator is basicly a generator....if the flywheel is spinning fast enough the stator will create electricity...just remember the meter has to be set on ac

the rectifier is a converter and converts ac to dc to charge the battery.. Thats it in a nutshell

+50
Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM

well i took off the tail an unplugged the rectifier today and the plug was melted in the one corner so i think i found the problem
Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM

ok, to test the stator unplug it...turn the multi to AC ...jump the bike and let it run from the battery pack..test the stator at the plug..if u got juice ur good and the rectifier is bad...easy as that
didnt even think to do that sweet thanx
Old 03-11-2010, 01:59 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

the stator is basicly a generator....if the flywheel is spinning fast enough the stator will create electricity...just remember the meter has to be set on AC

the rectifier is a converter and converts AC to DC to charge the battery.. thats it in a nutshell
good info right there!!! also the prob i had on my fixxer..... bad connections create heat, eventually melting the plug..=no chargeing
Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by beardo
good info right there!!! also the prob i had on my fixxer..... bad connections create heat, eventually melting the plug..=no chargeing
yea im hopin thats it, i cleaned up and fixed the connector have the battery on a charger right now gonna test everything shortly...hopefully everything works out and its jus a bad connector