motorcycle licence in texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 AM

chili88gt is a decent person
Re: motorcycle licence in texas

who said you have to do the class AND drivers ed? I just took the written test and riding test at the sheriff's office on a legit bike and that was it. The bike had to be inspected and registered and we had to provide a car or truck with valid inspection/registration for the instructor to ride in. Never took bike drivers ed or the riding course. But of course, that was like 3 1/2 years ago, so I may be wrong now.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:14 AM

04cbr600rr is a decent person

that what the lady at the dps said when i called she said i have to take drivers ed and the coures but she probley doesnt know what shes talking about
Old 02-14-2010, 12:17 PM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person

ca is w/e bike u want to get, once u finish drivers ed for ur car, u take a written test and u have a permit, only diff is u cant drive on highway, at night or have a pass. had to take a the MSF course to get the liscence. i actually JUST got my car liscence cuz i never needed it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:08 PM

Hazen is a decent person

Every state is different.

I took the course. It's the same price as getting one ticket.

If you can stunt and have a good attitude at the course you will be used as an example of a rider with great bike control.

Besides - It's kinda fun dragging the pegs off the 250 they make you ride.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:16 PM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by Hazen
Every state is different.

I took the course. It's the same price as getting one ticket.

If you can stunt and have a good attitude at the course you will be used as an example of a rider with great bike control.

Besides - It's kinda fun dragging the pegs off the 250 they make you ride.
yea, they threw me on a harley 250 and i was draggin peg. easiest thing ive ever done
Old 02-14-2010, 01:32 PM
use code "handy" 4 magura

stuntsteel is a decent person

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUST GO TAKE THE PERMIT TEST, PASS IT, THEN GO TAKE YOUR LICENSE TEST.

www.stuntsteel.com
www.4acp.com
www.stores.ebay.com/stuntsteel/
“Be A Star” 4 All Cycles Performance
P- 1-484-494-3136
Old 02-14-2010, 02:13 PM

chili88gt is a decent person

last week my friend and I had our fiddys out at the local high school while the bike course was going on. 250 Rebels galore!!!

I think I may invest in the class just for fun....
Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM

roadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to behold

I got busted on my permit at night one time.... it still would have been light out but there was a storm rolling in as we were headed home. Cop pulled us over and made me park my bike at a bar. I had to ride home mandum with my buddy, and then drive him back to ride my bike home, it was not cool! LOL In some states you can take a training course and get your permit at 16 ride it for a year and get your M class when you are 17.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:25 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by !!A2K!!
and with the motorcycle license you dont have to pay renewing fees every year
it's only $3.50 in missouri for a new permit

I'm on my 4th year and like 7th or 8th permit?

I don't have a 100% street legal bike to take the test on, and I don't wake up early so I've never made it down to take the test before 8:30am
Old 02-14-2010, 08:40 PM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by Towlieee
it's only $3.50 in missouri for a new permit

I'm on my 4th year and like 7th or 8th permit?

I don't have a 100% street legal bike to take the test on, and I don't wake up early so I've never made it down to take the test before 8:30am
LOL in CAli a permit lasts a yr and i had clas with a 40 yr old guy who just kept getting it renewed. he had 20 some odd previous permits. and the dmv made him take the course....
Old 02-14-2010, 09:46 PM

so how long would i have to hold the permit for?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:26 PM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by 04cbr600rr
so how long would i have to hold the permit for?
6 months to 1 yr
Old 02-14-2010, 10:41 PM
KO
One Wheel Pimp'n

KO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond repute

As of Sept 1, 2009, you have to take the riders safety course in order to obtain a motorcycle license. no way around it.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 PM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by DJ KO
As of Sept 1, 2009, you have to take the riders safety course in order to obtain a motorcycle license. no way around it.
same in cali, nessesary for ALL riders under 21 who wanna get the liscence, but its an alternative to the DMV test altogether. so even though it was madatory i take it i didnt have to do the DMV test
Old 02-14-2010, 10:48 PM

ok cool i have to have my driving permit for 6 months also sucks but almost done with it
Old 02-14-2010, 10:55 PM
KO
One Wheel Pimp'n

KO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond reputeKO has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big ben
same in cali, nessesary for ALL riders under 21 who wanna get the liscence, but its an alternative to the DMV test altogether. so even though it was madatory i take it i didnt have to do the DMV test
nope, you didn't need to. all you gota do now is take the written test at the dmv after you take the riding course.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:58 PM

cool thats not to bad and dont i have to have to ride with someone over 21 with a motorcycle licence???
Old 02-15-2010, 12:34 AM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by 04cbr600rr
cool thats not to bad and dont i have to have to ride with someone over 21 with a motorcycle licence???
its the opposite here, intil u get ur M1 (6 months after the bike permit)u cant have a pass at all
Old 03-11-2010, 01:15 PM

psychoJIMstunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by chili88gt
who said you have to do the class AND drivers ed? I just took the written test and riding test at the sheriff's office on a legit bike and that was it. The bike had to be inspected and registered and we had to provide a car or truck with valid inspection/registration for the instructor to ride in. Never took bike drivers ed or the riding course. But of course, that was like 3 1/2 years ago, so I may be wrong now.

Nah, as of Sept 1, 2009 in Texas, you have to take the MSF course. No exceptions. They also changed the helmet laws and took away the exemption sticker that they were issuing for license plates. The legislation started after that douchebag cop in Austin got **** faced drunk (had something like a $150 bar tab) and rode off a cliff with his old lady on the back. Neither were wearing gear (Harley Davidson) and both were freaking hammered. Killed him and his chic and then they couldn't find the bodies for three days. Made the Austin PD look like a bunch of ******* idiots, and really pissed off some State Representatives in Austin, so the amendments to Class M certification and helmet laws were rushed through Texas house and senate.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:28 PM

psychoJIMstunts is a decent person

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/motorcycle-license.php

How to Apply (Under 18)
As with the automobile driver license, Texas has a graduated driver license program in place for motorcycle operators.
The very first step to get a Class M motorcycle license if you're under 18 is to obtain an instruction permit. You must be 15 years old to get a permit. Once you have that in hand, you will have to complete a driver education course and a motorcycle safety course. Both of these must be operated by approved providers, and completion forms must be submitted.
You also need your parent's authorization for all of this, so get busy with the chores, don't talk back, and write all those thank-you notes you've owed your grandmother since you were six. Parental permission, once granted, can also be revoked at any time until you're 18, using a handy preprinted form.
Here's how to get a license to ride, all summed up in a useful checklist:
  • Be at least 15 years old. At this point, you will be restricted to 250cc motorcycles. The good news is that on the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M licensed operator, the Texas Driver License Division automatically drops the 250cc restriction from the license. Happy birthday!
  • Supply proof of your Social Security number.
  • Submit verification of attendance and enrollment in school (TEA form GEA-043R93).
  • Obtain a parental authorization signature.
  • Complete the required application forms.
  • Pay the required fees.
  • Pass the written and vision exams. How do you pass the written exams? We strongly recommend devouring the motorcycle manual.
  • Pass the on-road motorcycle riding test.
  • The application must include a photograph and thumbprints.
For the road test, applicants for a motorcycle license must not only provide themselves and the motorcycles, but they must also provide a following vehicle and a licensed driver to operate it so that the examiner can ride as a passenger in the car during the testing. (It's hard to imagine an examiner trying to make notes on a clipboard while operating a motorcycle.)
Top Getting Professional Training

The State of Texas urges all potential motorcycle riders to receive professional training from state-approved instructors. These courses are said to be equivalent to two years of on-the-road experience. They include training on avoiding obstacles, turning safely, and learning street strategies that could save your life in potentially gnarly traffic situations. For full information on these courses, contact the Texas Motorcycle Safety Unit.

Quick Reply: motorcycle licence in texas