Clutch basket install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 PM

B0arder606 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Clutch basket install?

Originally Posted by Zuki750
It can be done with a breaker bar if you use the transmission and a rod through the rear wheel to hold it. Not sure if that would cause any damage but an impact is definitely the way to get it off.
That can **** up the tranny
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by B0arder606
That can **** up the tranny
Do you know of a tranny that was fucked up or are you just saying that? I can see how it could cause damage but I don't know of one that's ever been damaged that way. Transmission gears are pretty tough.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:09 PM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Did you try adjusting the clutch cable. Maybe the previous owner didnt know how to adjust his cable properly and its slipping a little Stranger things have been known to happen. I would try that first before swapping out the clutch basket. It'll take you 2 minutes to adjust it and see if it helps. Its a long shot but worth the try before swapping **** out.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Zuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant futureZuki750 has a brilliant future

Take out your plates and check your basket. If it's good, put in the plates from the used part and reassemble. You don't need any special tools for that. Do not over tighten the bolts that hold the springs in. There is no point in swapping the basket if you don't need to. Super easy and straight forward.

I always loosen and tighten the spring bolts a little and move around the basket loosening each one a little more than the last until I get close to the end. Then I push in on the cover and remove each bolt all the way. It keeps anything from binding.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zuki750
Do you know of a tranny that was fucked up or are you just saying that? I can see how it could cause damage but I don't know of one that's ever been damaged that way. Transmission gears are pretty tough.
it could bend shift dogs or damage gears or the drive system period

A lot better method would be a strap wrench, or just simply impacting it. No reason to ghetto something like a motor
Old 01-04-2010, 09:45 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

i would have to agree with towilee due to when a gear is selected what attaches it to the output shaft is a collar with dog teeth engaged by the gear selector. put undue stress on this kit and kabootle and to top it off, spin it in the wrong direction and that doesnt sound like a good combination to me. when parking my truck on a hill the first thing i do before leaving it in gear is put it in neutral and push the parking brake and make sure it doesnt move. and with my bike i never leave stress on it either. i park it facing uphill with the transmission in the middle of its range of freeplay. riding my bike and out of nowhere having it slip out of gear on me is not my cup of tea. replacing the clutch discs is not hard at all. the cable pulls a lever which pulls a **** separating the discs from the plates. one set is attached to the input shaft and another attached to the hub or basket and the springs bring them back together when you release the lever. i couldnt see buying a basket off ebay and having no idea the condition of whats inside it. infact, the first thing i would have to do when it arrives is take it apart and verify that!

Last edited by Danger_Dave; 01-04-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:40 PM

roadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to beholdroadsurfr7 is a splendid one to behold

or how about using the right tools? like a home made clutch basket holder? just as good as a store bought tool!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
i couldnt see buying a basket off ebay and having no idea the condition of whats inside it. infact, the first thing i would have to do when it arrives is take it apart and verify that!
+1

Although I am a ebay ***** so I trust ebay too much lol...

But personally, I would remove the plates from the basket on the bike, and inspect that basket, and ALSO remove the plates from the ebay basket and inspect it. The one that looks LESS worn I'd use that with the new clutch plates
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
when parking my truck on a hill the first thing i do before leaving it in gear is put it in neutral and push the parking brake and make sure it doesnt move.
when i park in the driveway facing uphill i always put the car in reverse and then lock the ebrake and put it in park - same thing tho.