Sick Side Mount Clipons Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM

Twite is an unknown quantity at this point
Sick Side Mount Clipons Review

Bike: 2008 Triumph Daytona 675
Clip-ons: 50mm SI side mount
Accessories: Magura radial hand brake, MSR easy pull clutch perch/lever, 2003 NON radial front brake master (gay, I know), stock brake lines, stock clutch and throttle cables.

Although I am a SI rider, I will do my best to give an unbiased opinion on these clip-ons.

The 2 previous set ups on the bike were full fairing with stock clip-ons, and streetfighter with flipped 636 clip-ons.

The best fit for the side-mount clip-ons was under the triple in the "stock" position. I did not have to cut the fairing or windscreen (not pictured). I did not need to relocate my throttle/clutch cables.
There is no binding of the cables/brake lines and none of the levers hit the fairing.
The clip-ons are quite long. Coming from DB bars it was comfortable to have that much leverage. If you like the narrow feel of stock, there is plenty of room to cut them down.
If I wanted to trim my upper fairing, I'm sure I could sweep them out much more, perhaps even run them on top of the triple.

Problems: None radial master cylinders are a poor fit. They hit the clip-on mount body. However radial masters fit very well, with minimal clearance issues. (if you aren't running radial masters, please step out of the dark ages) Also, if I were to run these on top of the triple I think my cables and brake lines may be too short.

Compared to the other two clip-on setups I had on this bike I prefer the side-mounts. They have more leverage and clear the fairing the best.

Name:  Clip-onsTopView.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  RightClip-on.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  50.2 KB

Name:  LeftClip-on.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  LeftClip-onSide.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  47.6 KB

Name:  RightClip-onSide.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sick Side Mount Clipons Review

They look long as hell. Do they touch the ground when the bike is dropped?
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM
sickinnovations.com

PUNKON1WHEEL is a decent person

" if I were to run these on top of the triple I think my cables and brake lines may be too short. "

Thanks buddy, I wanted to get some feedback on them.

I have them on top of triple on my 04 636 and all the cables and hoses are plenty long enough with no binding. The cables on the triumph must be a bit shorter. I talked to Niles last night. He has the side mount 7 degree's and he rerouted his clutch cable to go over the top of the cage motor mount versus under. Mine was already routed over. Other than that, no fitment issues at all.

we can cut the tubes shorter if people prefer, but we figured we would leave them long so people cut cut them down to the prefered length if they didnt like the full length.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 PM
sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by SIC J
They look long as hell. Do they touch the ground when the bike is dropped?
Theyre actually the same length as the vortex, woodcraft, ect. Being side mount adds about 2-3in per side of length. Simply cut the tubes down, or we can cut them to each customers prefered length.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PUNKON1WHEEL
Theyre actually the same length as the vortex, woodcraft, ect. Being side mount adds about 2-3in per side of length. Simply cut the tubes down, or we can cut them to each customers prefered length.
Yeah after I posted I was thinking that. Figured it was the same tubes as the other ones but being mounted on the side rather then the front would make them seem a lot longer.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
I

boyke is a decent person

i like how they look.

how is it swtichin from db bars to these??

whats the final price? i seen 100 at 1st the another thread said 175????

i have an 03-04 636
Old 12-23-2009, 02:29 PM
sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by boyke
i like how they look.

how is it swtichin from db bars to these??

whats the final price? i seen 100 at 1st the another thread said 175????

i have an 03-04 636
159.99 , but now until 12-31-09 were running 20% off on anything over 100.00.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:22 PM

I put in a full riding day today and I LOVE the full length. The extra leverage makes stoppies quite stable and they don't hit the ground when the bike lays over.
It's a good in between width between DB and stock clip ons.

Also remember, the Triumph is much narrower than other bikes, they look wider than they are.

Last edited by Twite; 12-23-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:28 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

how does rider position feel with having them inline with the fork tubes? i have noticed with stock clipons or freestyle ingenuity clipons its like i'm hunched over too much, and with db bars they feel too close to my chest and i cant extend my arms as much as i like during spreaders etc. do you feel a difference with having them parallel?
Old 12-23-2009, 06:39 PM

PeterNoggin is a decent person

Originally Posted by PUNKON1WHEEL
159.99 , but now until 12-31-09 were running 20% off on anything over 100.00.
so with the discount then adding 8% i guess on tax we look 140 then add shipping right?

so altogether looking at spending 155

**** i might be looking into it to much
Old 12-23-2009, 06:50 PM

Scotty7one7 is a decent person

After reading this, I'm gonna make time tomorrow to put mine on. Been too busy and the snow screwed me
Old 12-24-2009, 10:14 AM
sickinnovations.com

Originally Posted by DSGSXR600
so with the discount then adding 8% i guess on tax we look 140 then add shipping right?

so altogether looking at spending 155

**** i might be looking into it to much

No sales tax unless your in indiana. 159.99 minus 20% then add shipping.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
how does rider position feel with having them inline with the fork tubes? i have noticed with stock clipons or freestyle ingenuity clipons its like i'm hunched over too much, and with db bars they feel too close to my chest and i cant extend my arms as much as i like during spreaders etc. do you feel a difference with having them parallel?
They are not as convenient as a street fightered front mount clip-on on top of the triple.
They are more hunched over than DB bars, but not as hunched as stock. They are further away than DB bars too.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM

so i havent got to ride with mine yet but i did install them,,, hes what ive come up with so far on the 636 just on installation

i have a magaura, msr clutch, radial 06 master for front brakes and a hohey tripple on a 04 636

first off i had to cut one inch off the tubes and slide them in as far as they go...still longer then stock clipons though which is nice.
they clipons are top notch first class product

i had to cut them down one inch becuz i kept the stock throttle cables in the stock location...(under frame on clutch side of bike)
i had to reroute my stock brake line to accomodate the higher rise of the clipons and how far they stick out,,,but i like how wide they are..

clutch cable is kinda tight at full lock to the left but i can deal with it.

i think with longer lines id keep them full lenghth...luckily for me i got some lockhart phillips clipon tubes for 1.99 at a yamaha dealer today so i experimented with them first (cutting down and positioning)

so far im happy...u just gotta take ur time routing everything if ur running on top and have all stock lines...i prolly could reroute my throttle cables like people do for dirtbars but im kinda lazy at the moment...

still great product...good company to deal with...ill ride with them as they sit now on sunday...hopefully i can get some braided longer brake lines and maybe some motion pro extended throttle lines from bill at full throttle...would def make install alot easier just waiting for pictures to upload..will post in a few...if anyone has better expeirience with routing cables and stuff to make this a little easier please let people know

if ur running them under the tripple everything should be prime time..i was just trying to get a higher feeling of clipons and im happy with the way they are..they are 7 degree by the way..
Old 12-24-2009, 11:54 PM

here are some pics on my 636...sorry if the pics come out super big..one more thing...becuz i run the hohey i had to switch sides so i could get access to the pinch bolts on the clipons...only downfall is the engraved sick logo is upside down to me now =)...pionted to where i mean in the 4th picture i think...AND DONT MIND MY BIKE,,,ITS A WORK IN PROGRESS
Name:  DSC00167-1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  188.2 KB
Name:  DSC00168.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  167.9 KB
Name:  DSC00169.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  158.2 KB
Name:  DSC00170.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  130.1 KB
Name:  DSC00171.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  148.4 KB
Name:  DSC00173.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  169.3 KB
Name:  DSC00181.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  149.8 KB
Name:  DSC00176.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  158.0 KB

Last edited by Scotty7one7; 12-25-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by kah707
so i havent got to ride with mine yet but i did install them,,, hes what ive come up with so far on the 636 just on installation

i have a magaura, msr clutch, radial 06 master for front brakes and a hohey tripple on a 04 636

first off i had to cut one inch off the tubes and slide them in as far as they go...still longer then stock clipons though which is nice.
they clipons are top notch first class product

i had to cut them down one inch becuz i kept the stock throttle cables in the stock location...(under frame on clutch side of bike)
i had to reroute my stock brake line to accomodate the higher rise of the clipons and how far they stick out,,,but i like how wide they are..

clutch cable is kinda tight at full lock to the left but i can deal with it.

i think with longer lines id keep them full lenghth...luckily for me i got some lockhart phillips clipon tubes for 1.99 at a yamaha dealer today so i experimented with them first (cutting down and positioning)

so far im happy...u just gotta take ur time routing everything if ur running on top and have all stock lines...i prolly could reroute my throttle cables like people do for dirtbars but im kinda lazy at the moment...

still great product...good company to deal with...ill ride with them as they sit now on sunday...hopefully i can get some braided longer brake lines and maybe some motion pro extended throttle lines from bill at full throttle...would def make install alot easier just waiting for pictures to upload..will post in a few...if anyone has better expeirience with routing cables and stuff to make this a little easier please let people know

if ur running them under the tripple everything should be prime time..i was just trying to get a higher feeling of clipons and im happy with the way they are..they are 7 degree by the way..
Looks real good with the Hohey triple. I like your gauge cluster mount too!

Try running the throttle cables on top of the frame out from under the gas tank.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:40 AM

MarcoL. is an unknown quantity at this point

really nice setup. I like these clipons. They look pretty good, have a nice length and coolest thing is that you donīt have to cut off the fairings. nice.
where to get them? (sorry for not beeing informed) hahahah :-)d
Greetz M.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Twite
Looks real good with the Hohey triple. I like your gauge cluster mount too!

Try running the throttle cables on top of the frame out from under the gas tank.
thanks...my buddy did that with his dirt bars and the big risers to accomodate 06 forks...i was just being lazy..i will try that on saturday...but i do really need better brake lines..im still running stock lines and they are short and crappy lol...thanks for the compliment on the gauge cluster...this bike is getting painted and powdercoated in january
Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by MarcoL.
really nice setup. I like these clipons. They look pretty good, have a nice length and coolest thing is that you donīt have to cut off the fairings. nice.
where to get them? (sorry for not beeing informed) hahahah :-)d
Greetz M.
www.sickinnovations.com
Old 12-25-2009, 12:19 PM

MarcoL. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kah707
..thanks buddy!

Quick Reply: Sick Side Mount Clipons Review