Serious letter regarding our sport's future....

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:52 PM

rainman is an unknown quantity at this point
To clearify:

- Street Freestyle rules (like those of the XSBA) create exciting runs and produce well rounded riders, in the long run, producing better show elements for the spectators. Promoters try adding as many classes as possible to increase entry fees instead of relying on the good quality entertainment that ultimately will sell tickets. If someone comes to an event and watches 40 people do the same wheelies and endos all day, then has to sit through slow wheelie and coasters... chances are, they wont be coming back on Sunday, or any other day.

- However, I believe that they would rather see 40 individual freestyle routines that stress the variation of 5 different wheelies, 5 endos, 5 acrobatic tricks, and 5 burn-outs? In addition are awarded for their trick difficulty, execution, and overall performance (how they linked all of those elements together). Then watch sickest trick. Then a long endo battle. That should take about 5 hours, the maximum amount of time that you can expect someone to stand out in the hot sun, and tollerate the typically poor announcing (me included).

- How long does it take before you change the channel when watching sports? Do you watch the whole baseball game, the whole NASCAR race, the whole SX event? I would rather watch the highlight real, or a homerun derby, the last 20 laps, or just watch the triple jump.

- That is what the 5 minute freestyle class is... highlights. The riders best endos, best wheelies, best acrobatic tricks, and best burn-outs all thrown into one routine, with their own personal style. Some riders can put it all together and provide a good show, others are boring, even though they are doing tough tricks. So what is the key here?

- What makes FMX exciting? The variation right? You never see "superman" competitions, or "healclicker" competitions, you see FREESTYLE competitions that include various tricks and are awarded for their difficulty and execution. In my opinion, that is what brings the spectators, the money, and the promotion of the sport as a whole along with it's athletes.

Rainman
Old 07-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Creater/Founder

shugga will become famous soon enough
Very well said Rainman. Agreed 100%
Old 07-31-2003, 06:10 PM
Regular StuntLifer

WestCoast Films is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree as well....presentation is key

-tyson
WestCoast Filmworks
insanevideos.com
Old 07-31-2003, 06:35 PM
On Probation - Rebel member

420f4i is an unknown quantity at this point
rainman has it figured out. well done. thats exactlly what the people want to see. most americans have the attention span of a 12 year old. it needs to be constant entertainment. keep the slow wheelie contest for the underground shows. main stream needs to be dangerous and exciting