How to what clutch assembly you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:12 PM

DCP-TED is an unknown quantity at this point
How to what clutch assembly you have?

My clutch is on or off, alot of experienced riders have verified this. How can I tell if I have replaced plates and springs, or if there stock. What are the differences? I took a pic but I cant see anything that would let me tell. Anyone?

Old 10-19-2009, 05:18 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: How to what clutch assembly you have?

some times if your clutch fibers are not well oiled the clutch will be very twitchy , lay the bike on it's side for a while so the clutch will be soaked in oil , pull the clutch lever in and out a few times to separate the fibers and then see if it's any better ...

dont have the bike running while doing this
Old 10-19-2009, 05:20 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

or since you have the cover off you could just take the fibers out and soak them in oil for a while
Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Thanks Rog tried that, not a difference, um are race clutches different in a big way? I measured one of the springs at 1 3/4 if that even helps... A new clutch set up would be harder than a worn down one right?
Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Talen
Thanks Rog tried that, not a difference, um are race clutches different in a big way? I measured one of the springs at 1 3/4 if that even helps... A new clutch set up would be harder than a worn down one right?
i cant remember how long my stock springs are but i think they are longer then 1 3/4 long , the shorter the spring the harder they will be usually so you may just have race springs
Old 10-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Hazen is a decent person

A new disc set is under $100.

Just swap it out, you're already 1/2 done.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Hazen
A new disc set is under $100.

Just swap it out, you're already 1/2 done.
if he has stiffer springs the new one will act the same as the old one
Old 10-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Well shop manual said service limit is 1 7/8 inches? Big enough difference?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:03 PM
also known as OMR

Well shop manual said service limit is 1 7/8 inches? Big enough difference?
no probably not , i was just thinking maybe you had stiffer springs , does the clutch pull really hard ?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM

it pulls super hard, i mean the slip distance is almost nothing. Engage or disengage.... thats it.

Full length ez-pull (not cut) cable outside forks, etc etc etc know all the basics....but check this pic of the clutch center I just took, there are massive spring grooves in it, some pretty deep. Shouldnt those posts be smooth?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
also known as OMR

eh thats nothing i think you just have super stiff springs
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM

cjones_636 is a decent person

does it feel like the clutch has a hard time disengaging? There is a piece that sits between the clutch outer and shaft and on my old f4i it had seized to the bearing in the clutch outer. It got sticky like it wouldnt disengage then eventually was completely stuck engaged.

The piece i was referring to is a sprocket that i think drives the oil pump. the part # 15131-MAS-003 there's a piece called the clutch guide that it sits on, and the clutch outer rides on that. If its seizing, it could be sticking in either the engaged or disengaged position, causing what you describe?

Last edited by cjones_636; 10-19-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:02 PM

cjones_636 is a decent person

those grooves are nothing mine were way worse.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
eh thats nothing i think you just have super stiff springs
I think you may be on the money Roger. Ill get a new stock set then, see what that does. Thanks Rog!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 PM
also known as OMR

I think you may be on the money Roger. Ill get a new stock set then, see what that does. Thanks Rog!
make sure they are oem , some shops will automatically get you stiffer springs even if you dont ask for them
Old 10-19-2009, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjones_636
does it feel like the clutch has a hard time disengaging? There is a piece that sits between the clutch outer and shaft and on my old f4i it had seized to the bearing in the clutch outer. It got sticky like it wouldnt disengage then eventually was completely stuck engaged.

Nope no hard time, just instant.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM
also known as OMR

talen do you weld ? i ask because you could make the clutch release arm longer ..

that may fix all your problems and if you have a welder you could do it in 5 minutes instead of waiting for new springs , just a thought
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
talen do you weld ? i ask because you could make the clutch release arm longer ..

that may fix all your problems and if you have a welder you could do it in 5 minutes instead of waiting for new springs , just a thought
yeah I can do that mod but I was holding off because some were saying the clutch travel messes things up? Wheres a good place to get the oem springs anyway?

Last edited by DCP-TED; 10-19-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:31 PM
also known as OMR

yeah I can do that mod but I was holding off because some were saying the clutch travel messes things up? Wheres a good place to get the oem springs anyway?
i have a few dealers around me so i usually go there but i think sketchy can get ya oem parts online
Old 10-19-2009, 08:27 PM

crashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura aboutcrashtest 750 has a spectacular aura about

could have the clutch stack wrong. if you have the smaller fiber on the inside of the basket instead of the outside it will make it harder to slip.

Quick Reply: How to what clutch assembly you have?