question about using 636 master for hand brake.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 AM

rob15us2008 is a decent person
Arrow question about using 636 master for hand brake.

So just want to know your opinion on using a 636 master as the hand brake.. just not trying to spend a lot of money on a good master, and I have a extra one laying around that I could use.

and what else would I need to hook it up... obviously a line.. and a banjo bolt I guess? and whatever it is I need to tap into the rear ...But I'm not sure if it's even worth hooking up to just one caliper or throwing down and getting the dual setup? I did try the search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: question about using 636 master for hand brake.

dont forget a pack of crush washers
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM

FresYES fresh is a decent person

ive got a 636 master and it works great for me, ive never ran any "pro" setup though so i wouldnt know how bad it is compared to some others lol but it deff does the job
Old 10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I Chose to No Longer Post

PazUp is an unknown quantity at this point

The piston size is going to be the killer or D'Kind!
The killer is a hard pedal/soft pedal going to the grip.
The kind you need is to feel that lever work for you is put it on, bleed it with the old crush washers.

You find out the master fails in either direction, listen to Mike. And the deal with the crushers are direction. The flats of the washer crush to the aluminum. The round sides hit the banjos. Whichever way you need to remember.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MikeM
dont forget a pack of crush washers
ive seen people talk about them, not sure exactly what those do or how to use them with the master.. guess I'll look into it, thanks.

Originally Posted by FresYES fresh
ive got a 636 master and it works great for me, ive never ran any "pro" setup though so i wouldnt know how bad it is compared to some others lol but it deff does the job
alright. so how did you hook it up? what all do I need..

Originally Posted by PazUp
The piston size is going to be the killer or D'Kind!
The killer is a hard pedal/soft pedal going to the grip.
The kind you need is to feel that lever work for you is put it on, bleed it with the old crush washers.

You find out the master fails in either direction, listen to Mike. And the deal with the crushers are direction. The flats of the washer crush to the aluminum. The round sides hit the banjos. Whichever way you need to remember.
what?!?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Just got a line, ran it to the rear. I bought a master that had a FullThrottle adapter on it,(im pretty sure you can buy JUST the adapters online).
As for the rear master since its a 636 master as well, i just made a bracket out of 1/4" flatsteel, and drilled holes into it, mounted the master on there, then mounted that onto my rearset, its pretty ghetto haha but it works as if it were made for my bike.
If you can find an adapter for your bike then you wont have to do all that, i was just using a different rear master too.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Moral of the story
The front master you have, a line, and an adapter on the rear master and you should be set
Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FresYES fresh
Just got a line, ran it to the rear. I bought a master that had a FullThrottle adapter on it,(im pretty sure you can buy JUST the adapters online).
As for the rear master since its a 636 master as well, i just made a bracket out of 1/4" flatsteel, and drilled holes into it, mounted the master on there, then mounted that onto my rearset, its pretty ghetto haha but it works as if it were made for my bike.
If you can find an adapter for your bike then you wont have to do all that, i was just using a different rear master too.
alright cool .. anyone sure how long of a line i'll need to set up the single caliper? and does anyone know what exactly i need to tap into the rear master.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
highchair coaster burnout

jcf4i is a decent person

u need a full throttle adaptor for your bike, and a 60" line or there about... thats it. Those masters are a little stiff when hooked to a single piston caliper, but when u hook them to a 4piston they soften up and are nice. Ive got mine hooked to two 4pistons linked, its so soft, if u grabed my hb youd think it had air in the lines, but i can lock the tire with my pinky... and its got TONS of play. Ive ridden a few brembos, and im sure ill catch hell for sayin this but the 16X18's just arent for me(ie they suck). They have a square lever, which i cant figure out the reason for that, and they need to constantly be rebuilt cuz theyre blown out... Ive ridden f4i's back to back with the single 4piston hb, one with a nissin 3/4(636master), and one with a brembo 16X18, and ill take the nissin all day... now a magura may be a different story...
Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by jcf4i
u need a full throttle adaptor for your bike, and a 60" line or there about... thats it. Those masters are a little stiff when hooked to a single piston caliper, but when u hook them to a 4piston they soften up and are nice. Ive got mine hooked to two 4pistons linked, its so soft, if u grabed my hb youd think it had air in the lines, but i can lock the tire with my pinky... and its got TONS of play. Ive ridden a few brembos, and im sure ill catch hell for sayin this but the 16X18's just arent for me(ie they suck). They have a square lever, which i cant figure out the reason for that, and they need to constantly be rebuilt cuz theyre blown out... Ive ridden f4i's back to back with the single 4piston hb, one with a nissin 3/4(636master), and one with a brembo 16X18, and ill take the nissin all day... now a magura may be a different story...
so i could just go buy the dual caliper setup at hohey with the 4 piston adaptor and the line for $250 and just use my stock 636 master? I think I'd rather do that because the single caliper kit without a master is $120 over at full throttle... so I'd rather just spend the little bit extra and get the HHD.. should I run with that?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:52 PM

dachurl is a decent person

I jsut use the stock single piston caliper and I actuallyhave an f4i master that works just fine and I use the cheap adapter instead of the full-throttle and my hand brake is generic also and it works bad-***!! jsut make sure ALL the air bubble are COMPLEtely out!-
Old 10-19-2009, 11:08 PM
highchair coaster burnout

jcf4i is a decent person

Originally Posted by dachurl
I jsut use the stock single piston caliper and I actuallyhave an f4i master that works just fine and I use the cheap adapter instead of the full-throttle and my hand brake is generic also and it works bad-***!! jsut make sure ALL the air bubble are COMPLEtely out!-
not tryin to be a dick here but i can tell u from where im sittin it dont work badass... anyways, it depends on your preference really, some guys dont like 4piston footbrakes, i do. I would get the fti dual quad, then u can decide to run them on separate systems, or buy an adaptor later and link on the HB... thats the best choice IMO..
Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 PM

dachurl is a decent person

your sittin in a different spot- cause it is badass for the price!

Last edited by dachurl; 10-19-2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:57 PM

so what does everyone think, should i run the stock 636 front master for my hand brake.. and just run the hhd dual caliper kit with the 4 piston... trying to figure out if i should do that so i can go ahead and order the kit..

it comes with the line. the dual caliper bracket and 4 piston adapter.. and i have the reservoir already.. just wondering if there's anything else i need. thankss
Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 PM
Soup Mafia

Ethiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to beholdEthiopian is a splendid one to behold

is it the 03-04 636 master 0r 05-06? the 03-04 is a pain to bleed and hard to ge a good clutch/ handbrake fitment, its really stiff but powerful, the 05-06 is just like any radial gsxr master, reall stiff and not much feel, i have a 05-06 and i bleed a air bubble in it just so it would get some feel lol. i rather have my old 1000rr master(alot more feel) over a zx6r master anyday. either way get a 4 piston caliper setup. i run the fullthrottle dual 4 piston and love it.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ethiopian
is it the 03-04 636 master 0r 05-06? the 03-04 is a pain to bleed and hard to ge a good clutch/ handbrake fitment, its really stiff but powerful, the 05-06 is just like any radial gsxr master, reall stiff and not much feel, i have a 05-06 and i bleed a air bubble in it just so it would get some feel lol. i rather have my old 1000rr master(alot more feel) over a zx6r master anyday. either way get a 4 piston caliper setup. i run the fullthrottle dual 4 piston and love it.
yeah i'm talking about a 03/04 master... just wanted to use it since i have a extra one laying around.. and don't have alot of cash to get a good master just yet...