Torquing Bolts:

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:14 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Torquing Bolts:

WTF?
why is it so nervewrecking? I take my sweet time and torque all my f4i front rotor bolts in a star pattern and its like they feel are going to strip or snap at any moment. i watch the indicator on my torque wrench go from 14 foot lbs, down to 12.5, and back up to 14 again as i am rotating it clockwise. it makes no sense. the suckers get looser before they get tighter. the specs are 14 foot lbs, and i already broke 1 bolt. took me forever to get it out. and my torque wrench is calibrated to be dead on ***** accurate. i hang a weight on the handle exactly 1 foot away from the head in a vise to test and ensure a correct reading. what is the deal with torque and torque specs? 14 ft lbs is soooo much torque for those little bolts. if you just use a rachet wrench and tighten them to were they are really freaking tight it equals about 8 ft lbs.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Re: Torquing Bolts:

is it possible that using a dab of grease allows you to overtorque?
that is my only other guess where i messed up. the way i see it, it would allow you to apply the proper torque because a dry bolt will bind or have friction and you may undertorque it. i hate using locktite, but that is also a lubricant when in liquid form isnt it? i've read some car forums and people say on head bolts to never ever use locktite or antisieze or anything because it affects torque values.