Tire slime

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:54 PM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person
Tire slime

im sure theres a thread out there with this question but the search didnt show much of anything helpful so im going to have to ask................
just got this semi used perelli supercorsa for the frint tire....put it on and was fine........but has a small leak.... it bassically bleeds about 2 lbs or air an hour.....when i put it on i noticed a slight tear along the inside edge but didnt think much of it.......

anyway theres nothing on the outside of the tire so im guessing its from along the edge where the tire meets the rim.......

well its a pretty slow leak so would some tire slime do the trick if its along the rim edge?????
Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Re: Tire slime

in my opinion all that stuff does is make a mess and throw off the balance of the tire. its really just designed to get you home. i would remove the tire from the rim and fix it. if its leaking that much air then u should be able to isolate the leak with soapy water or just pull the bike up to a puddle.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:09 PM
CA STUNTER

yea... i did the spit buble test along the rim edge and isolated it to the bead.......im just curious if

A) the slime will seal a bead or
B) i should just replace the tire b/c of the little tear on the inside edge of the tire.....its a pretty slow leak....i mean it sat like 15 hrs over night and still had ome air in it and i put it at 30 psi last night....

Last edited by big ben; 09-26-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

then inspect the bead and rough it up a little if necessary or rough up the inside of the lip of the rim. if you really must then a SMALL bit of rubber cement on the inside of that lip wouldnt hurt, i've done it to my fiddy.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:18 PM
CA STUNTER

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
then inspect the bead and rough it up a little if necessary or rough up the inside of the lip of the rim. if you really must then a SMALL bit of rubber cement on the inside of that lip wouldnt hurt, i've done it to my fiddy.
rubber cement???? coll i got some....it wont totally screw up anything when i wanna chage tires later though right???
Old 09-26-2009, 11:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

**** tire slime, makes a huge mess, plus I've heard of it causing plugs to 'push' out

If the tire leaks, it was probably a problem with the tire, which is why the person got rid of it. (unless you have a rim problem also)

you could attempt to pull it off and make sure the bead of the rim and the tire itself is really clean

I got a almost new pilot power free from the trash pile at the dealer, couldn't have had many miles on it at all... But it drops from 32psi to about 20psi in 2-3 days
Old 09-27-2009, 02:11 AM
CA STUNTER

well i just took it off and there was a little hole in the tire where a little chunk of cloth (band) was sticking out...i tried pushing it back in but it wont go.....so i guess i just ned to put something around it too fill the gap so it will seat properly right???

any ideas for a filler??
maybe if i just flatten it well and put a little soapy water and pump it to a high psi it wil seat??????? cuz i think with a high enough psi it will flatten it well enough to hold but i could b wrong
Old 09-27-2009, 03:38 AM

99CBRXX is a decent person

go to any local tire shop and get some bead sealer....it's in a can like rubber cement but instead of drying like glue it turns into a rubber patch.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Highstylesfreestyle.com

pimpnslo is a decent person

Slime is pimp!! I tested it at 186mph w/ a nail in my tire. Held up pimp no wobble or anything.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:19 AM
IDLE WHORE

JOHN J has a spectacular aura aboutJOHN J has a spectacular aura about

if its on the bead but some beed sealer from auto parts store.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM

$$mikeyD$$ is a decent person

i use grease around the lip of my tire and it holds the beed real good with no grease my front rim leaks in like 4 spots and is flat in 5 mins but with it im good for 2 or 3 months and then i just grease it back up good to go
Old 09-27-2009, 02:29 PM

WILL215 is a decent person

tire slime is bad for your rims, in the log run it ruins them. jus go to a tire shop an have them put bead sealer on it or if you have the tire patch cement jus use that its the same thing and next time your change your tire you can jus clean it off
Old 09-27-2009, 02:38 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person

Originally Posted by BrknGsxr
tire slime is bad for your rims, in the log run it ruins them. jus go to a tire shop an have them put bead sealer on it or if you have the tire patch cement jus use that its the same thing and next time your change your tire you can jus clean it off
As noted before, bead sealer is the best option. I HATE tire slime, makes a huge mess of my tire machine and tools. Also, you can never get it to balance out.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:53 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

my rims are bent to **** and would leak a few pounds every few days. Now right when I change the tires I throw a little bit of not the green slime but the one that comes in the tall yellow can and that seals it 100%. never heard of bead seal, I might try that next time since the bead is where it leaks
Old 09-27-2009, 04:50 PM

IMR-Merlin is a decent person

http://www.patchrubber.com/tire_repair/16118.html