Circle problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person
Circle problems.

So I have been kicking my practice-schedule into high gear (by my standards). I'm practing about .5-1 hour a night by myself for at least 3-4 nights a week, I know I'm not practicing long, but it gets boring by myself. For as long as I have been trying circles, I have been able to make them turn somewhat, but never really been able to link turns to make a tight group. Basically, what will happen is I will lean into the circle and the bike will start to turn, then one of two things will happen A)The bike will spiral in and down, which happens the least of the two, or B) The bike will come out of the circle and I end up having to hang way off the bike to the inside to keep it from completely high-siding over. I'm doing them to the right with left foot in the seat and right foot on the brake. Sometimes I will get a circle here and there, but I'm still on the inside of the bike and I don't really feel in control. Is this a common problem and what should I be looking to do to prevent it.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Circle problems.

Originally Posted by nickalltogether
So I have been kicking my practice-schedule into high gear (by my standards). I'm practing about .5-1 hour a night by myself for at least 3-4 nights a week, I know I'm not practicing long, but it gets boring by myself. For as long as I have been trying circles, I have been able to make them turn somewhat, but never really been able to link turns to make a tight group. Basically, what will happen is I will lean into the circle and the bike will start to turn, then one of two things will happen A)The bike will spiral in and down, which happens the least of the two, or B) The bike will come out of the circle and I end up having to hang way off the bike to the inside to keep it from completely high-siding over. I'm doing them to the right with left foot in the seat and right foot on the brake. Sometimes I will get a circle here and there, but I'm still on the inside of the bike and I don't really feel in control. Is this a common problem and what should I be looking to do to prevent it.
when the bike tries to spiral in and down you need to keep the wheel up . i know that sounds too simple to be true but it works ..
Old 08-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Yut-ugh.

So basically whatever I'm doing when it starts to lean out of the circle and I'm hanging way to the inside is a fail, and when it starts to spiral down I am actually closer to doing a real circle? It's like my brain never reacts fast enough to catch it when it's spiraling down, but even if I do I feel like it would just toss me out of the circle.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

it's hard when you ride alone , when you ride with people that are better than you they can see you and give you tips ...

my best advise with out ever seeing you ride is just keep the wheel up , even if you come out of the circle and go straight just keep it up and turn in again ...

and it's better to fail to the bar than it is to highside out ...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Yut-ugh.

Yeah ******' A I wish I just had some good people to ride with... until I learn circles, then I just want to ride by myself again . So if anything I should be behind BP instead of right at it or before it?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:58 PM
also known as OMR

Yeah ******' A I wish I just had some good people to ride with... until I learn circles, then I just want to ride by myself again . So if anything I should be behind BP instead of right at it or before it?
ya pretty much
Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Yut-ugh.

**** circles I'm just going to keep doing straight line stuff. I will need a runway to practice on but dammit I will be the nastiest straight-line combo killer ever.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 AM

SmokechecK is a decent person

It is a lot of upper body.... get it to bp and throw the bike in.... and dont be afraid to give it gas. You will highside, you will lowside, you will stall, and then it will just click. Dont quit.... just stick to it.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:52 AM
The Reverend Freestyle

!!A2K!! will become famous soon enough

bump up tire pressure
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

have you wrecked a circle yet?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:12 AM

nolimitriderz is a decent person

If you are dipping in and falling to the low side you are almost there.You can do one of two thingsdo like OMR said and keep the front wheel up in start with big circles for and exammple if there is an island in the middle of a lot try to keep circling around that in till you feel good then move your radius in some maybe by using 2 cones then going to one cone that is the best way to learn.

Or two go practice some more circles and when you think the bike is gonna lowside (spiral down) give it gas(normally more gas then you think you will need. Once you get that down start trying to gas it before you think you need to (before the front tire drops in) and once you gas the first time you normally have to keep pumping the throttle to finish the circle ..

Not sure if this is the right way or if there is a right way but i gave a few pointers to a couple of riders and this always worked.. But never give up and re post with your updates on your new circle game
Old 08-18-2009, 01:39 AM
Bacons Hot, Need a Spot

cjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud of

The tips/advice I got(from SL by posting videos)were 2 main things keep the front high and gas it, other than that seat time to get use to how to react to the new sensations of a circle. My advice is keep your clutch covered and use it. gasing it as the front's getting low will catapult ya, better to 12 out.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 AM

cjones_636 is a decent person

Originally Posted by SmokechecK
It is a lot of upper body.... get it to bp and throw the bike in.... and dont be afraid to give it gas. You will highside, you will lowside, you will stall, and then it will just click. Dont quit.... just stick to it.

Im at pretty much the same stage as nickaltogether. I can recon circle, keep going around a BIG lot until my hands and arms get too tired. im trying to tighten my circles up, seems when i try a small one my front low sides, Or i stall, stalling is like how my circle fails all the time, whats the main cause? too far back with too much brake?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Bacons Hot, Need a Spot

cjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud of

I had the stalling problem in the begining also, I found I stalled more when trying with my idle pretty high. Bike wants to go faster than you feel comfotable going so naturally you hit, ridethe brake and bog and stall. dip it in counter steering helps me and gas it to keep the front high.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 AM

ownage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by old man roger
when the bike tries to spiral in and down you need to keep the wheel up . i know that sounds too simple to be true but it works ..
yep, make sure your rear tire pressure is up, i suggest STARTING at least 20 psi. and once you dip the bike in, get ready to gas it, then catch with the brake, then dip, gas brake, dip gas brake...do it enough and you'll get it down.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 AM

monday518 is just really nicemonday518 is just really nicemonday518 is just really nicemonday518 is just really nicemonday518 is just really nice

I hope your not giving advice based off circles on a 50
Old 08-18-2009, 05:25 AM

ownage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by monday518
I hope your not giving advice based off circles on a 50

nope, but even so once you get circles down on a phifty the concept is the same....my friend kevin (white bandito) rode a phifty for maybe 3-4 months, hopped on his first ever big bike or street bile amd started turning circles on his f4i in two weeks..and now he's pretty
Old 08-18-2009, 07:48 AM
Back to North Carolina...

weirdsteve is a decent person

**** circles I'm just going to keep doing straight line stuff. I will need a runway to practice on but dammit I will be the nastiest straight-line combo killer ever.
come to fayetteville we murder circles here
Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by cjones_636
Im at pretty much the same stage as nickaltogether. I can recon circle, keep going around a BIG lot until my hands and arms get too tired. im trying to tighten my circles up, seems when i try a small one my front low sides, Or i stall, stalling is like how my circle fails all the time, whats the main cause? too far back with too much brake?

Too much brake.... haha. More gas, once the bike gets a lil high and the circle starts to slow down to a crawl, throw the bike back in. It comes with seat time... and getting comfortable like that crazt hawaiian said.... . You will eventually learn to slip the clutch a little and let her fall. Trust me.... it will come. SS circles use even less brake than staggered or FIS. At least from what my sets of bent clipons say...
Old 08-18-2009, 08:17 AM

also.... I run my tire at 34psi..... but 25 is a good starting point. Get used to feeling the bike move a little, it is like dancing! haha

Quick Reply: Circle problems.