F4i Injection Light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:12 PM

torquerollin is a decent person
F4i Injection Light

I just bought an 01 Honda f4i...It has been having a problem with running right for quite a while and the guy didn't want to deal with it anymore. The bike when cold will rev out to redline a couple times no problem. If you keep revving it, the fi light will come on and the bike will backfire when the ignition re-engages. The bike won't die all the way, but if you keep the revs low, you can ride it. He thought it was the wiring harness, so he replaced the whole harness on the bike and converted it to the California wiring and installed an 02 sensor...I have no idea what he was thinking. Anyhow...the more you ride the bike the problem with cutting out and rpm dropping to 0 happens at a lower and lower rpm sometimes even around 3k. I have heard of similar problems, but not quite like this. Normally if it is a connector or something the problem will be close to the same rpm. I am stumped, but starting to think maybe it is cam or crank sensor. Kinda stumped.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person
Re: F4i Injection Light

turn the key on and check to see what code it's flashing,then post that up on here,count the flashes,that gives you what code or codes it's throwing,do it a few times to make sure you get the correct count,I can get ahold of someone that knows all the codes for a f4i.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM

The fi light does not stay on. It just flashes when the bike is running then goes out. I was told the light had to stay on to store codes. I will check when I get home.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM

batemantree is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blee
turn the key on and check to see what code it's flashing,then post that up on here,count the flashes,that gives you what code or codes it's throwing,do it a few times to make sure you get the correct count,I can get ahold of someone that knows all the codes for a f4i.
i have a 03 f4i and my fi light stays on, bike runs fine the light dont flash just stays on any idea?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
sack up or pack up!!!

beardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond reputebeardo has a reputation beyond repute

mybe a fuel pressure issue...i.e.pump or pressure regulator...just a thought
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 PM

8 blinks, and it is throttle position sensor...the previous owner replaced the throttle bodies and the sensor...didn't fix it and he replaced the whole harness...now what?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:39 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

Originally Posted by batemantree
i have a 03 f4i and my fi light stays on, bike runs fine the light dont flash just stays on any idea?
sorry,I got no idea,my buddy has a PDF file with all the codes on it,if it runs good I wouldn't worry bout it,mine runs perfect,when I turn the key on the fi light will stay on for 2 seconds then go off,when I start it and its running the light never comes back on.So i guess thats what you should be shootin for.

(quote)torquerollin
8 blinks, and it is throttle position sensor...the previous owner replaced the throttle bodies and the sensor...didn't fix it and he replaced the whole harness...now what? (quote)

Maybe check the sensor that is on the top/front of the airbox also,just a thought,but try to run some injector cleaner and good gas through her,mine was gettin a lil boggy on me,and it actually worked,now I run the injector cleaner through it every once in a while and haven't had any problems since another good thing for these bikes is the "clean air mod" do a search on it,it's a great and easy mod.prevents oil from gettin into the airbox and gives you stronger pull on idle.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:44 PM

Reckless Josh is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a way to trip the f.i. light get all codes stored in the ecu. Turn the bike to on (engine not running) take a piece of wire and jump the connector at the ecu (only connector at the ecu that has two wire's to it and not plugged into anything) once jumped the flashing will start. Count the number of blinks be careful thou cause if there is other codes it will flash and come to a pause then start flashing again. by jumping the wire it will continue to flash and not stop till the jumper wire is disconnect

repost number of blinks i own a service manual.

but 8 blinks is
loose or poor contact on tp sensor connector
open or short circuit in tp sensor wire
faulty tp sensor

poor engine response when operating the thottle quickly (simulate using numerical values; throttle opens 0 degrees)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Rydn is a decent person

Yea bro, Look under the throttle bodies and change the hole bike out.
Guaranteed fix!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM

Yeah, bike only blinks 8 times. Rode her to work this morning, and did not fault on me once, but I never went over like 5 grand to see if low rpm effected it. When warm though, you cant rev it out, or fi light comes on and rpm drops to zero, and the warmer it gets the worse it gets. I guess start going through the throttle position sensor stuff I guess?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM

Sikgixxer750 is an unknown quantity at this point

0 blinks is open circuit at the power input wire of ecm, faulty bank angle sensor, open circuit in bank angle sensor, faulty engine stop relay, faulty engine stop switch, faulty ignition switch, faulty ECM, blown PGM-FI fuse, blown subfuse.

I had my fi light stay solid and the bike would run perfectly fine. It turned out that my computer was bad but the only thing affected by it was that my tachometer would not work. Bike still ran perfect other than that. It says in the manual that the symptoms of that code would be that the bike wont start but in my case it did. Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM

I think I might be on to something with this damn thing. In the manual, I think the wires going to the tp sensor are swapped. When you guys look at the throttle position sensor as it is plugged in, are the wires starting from the top to bottom, Yellow with red stripe, Red with yellow stripe, and on the bottom Green with orange stripe? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:51 PM

douggiefresh is a decent person

my 05 636 fi light is always on and run fine
Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Yeah mine is not always on. It comes on when backfiring and running like ****, and the only code I am getting is throttle position sensor. I am thinking somehow the wires got switched on the connector. Can anybody confirm the colors of the wires no their tp connector and the order they are in? Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM

Rydn is a decent person

Originally Posted by Sikgixxer750
0 blinks is open circuit at the power input wire of ecm, faulty bank angle sensor, open circuit in bank angle sensor, faulty engine stop relay, faulty engine stop switch, faulty ignition switch, faulty ECM, blown PGM-FI fuse, blown subfuse.

I had my fi light stay solid and the bike would run perfectly fine. It turned out that my computer was bad but the only thing affected by it was that my tachometer would not work. Bike still ran perfect other than that. It says in the manual that the symptoms of that code would be that the bike wont start but in my case it did. Hope that helps.
Ive try to fix his bike for a while now by giving him parts to change out here and there. No one could give me a stright answer as to what made the f.i. light stay on....Thanks for that info bro..I'll try switching those things you mentioned above
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rydn
Yea bro, Look under the throttle bodies and change the hole bike out.
Guaranteed fix!
thats it! im painting it like yours!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sikgixxer750

thanks for the info!
Old 10-01-2009, 08:27 PM

pitpoundfam is a decent person

does anyone know the ignition colors, i know solid red is the battery wire right?