What seperates Amateurs from Pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
***tastic

rookie stunter is a decent person
Re: What seperates Amateurs from Pros

Originally Posted by old man roger
i think pro competitor and pro show rider can be two different things ..

if you get paid on a regular basis to do shows then you are a pro show rider and for the sake of this thread and joels question if you have ever qualified at an event like stuntwars or xdl then you are a pro comp rider and shouldnt enter amateur
best answer so far.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

My question is how the **** does a rider become pro? I've always wanted to know.ANYBODY KNOW?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 PM

FIRM_rep_19 is a decent person

i think it has to do alot with connects and sponsors... i see alot of guys on this forum killing it but dont have a single sponsor...so its up for debate i guess
Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM

Nick Apex is a decent person

i think that kind of limits the field because xdl isnt really open for any one to try and qualify
It is open to everyone. If you have no chance to make it and/or you're a safety issue then a rider gets asked to wait and come back to the next one. We've had some wild cards this year from all over. They've all done well.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 PM
DONT READ THIS! Dammit!

BoDuke01 is a decent person

Pole position.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Nick Apex
It is open to everyone. If you have no chance to make it and/or you're a safety issue then a rider gets asked to wait and come back to the next one. We've had some wild cards this year from all over. They've all done well.
i always thought it was more of an invite thing , like you needed some one to vouch for you or some thing like that
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 AM

HighStyles has a spectacular aura aboutHighStyles has a spectacular aura about

i always thought it was more of an invite thing , like you needed some one to vouch for you or some thing like that

Just qualify i believe, we asked about this a few months ago
Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
KILLIN BIKES

JOHNNYSTUNTS is a decent person

ive heard that too, XDL myth

whats XDL stand for?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:20 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by JOHNNYSTUNTS
ive heard that too, XDL myth

whats XDL stand for?
i took an oath not to tell
Old 08-19-2009, 07:23 AM
also known as OMR

ok so heres my next question , when do you qualify for an xdl event ?

sorry for being stupid but i really thought it was invite only
Old 08-19-2009, 07:37 AM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

I think you can qualify at any of them..but it would be smartest to do it at round one so u can actually enter the points race?
Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by frayz
I think you can qualify at any of them..but it would be smartest to do it at round one so u can actually enter the points race?
i want facts !!!! you hear me ? facts
Old 08-19-2009, 07:58 AM

ok so heres my next question , when do you qualify for an xdl event ?
the day before the XDL event
Old 08-19-2009, 08:12 AM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

i want facts !!!! you hear me ? facts
just going off of what i've seen my buddy do. Everyone will look at u funny the first time and you gotta have somebody vouch for u that you wont kill the crowd
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

qualifiers are usually the day before an event, and are sometimes more exciting than the event itself. at least if you're looking for new talent, the qualifiers are where it's at.

If you're thinking about becoming an exhibition rider, I really think if you can't qualify to compete professionally, you probably shouldn't call yourself a pro. exhibition rider. There are a lot of talented amateurs out there, and the ones who practice a lot tend to show substantial improvement every couple of months for about two years, then seem to table off on the massive leaps in control and technical handling, and begin to start developing serious finesse. After that point is a good time to present those skills to the public.

Try not to be impatient, a bunch of underqualified riders seeking endorsements and doing shows are a liability for the whole sport.

develop your skills first, then sell them. not saying you have to be a top placing pro, but if you're not safe or skilled enough to ride with them in a professionally controlled environment, how are you qualified to safely execute tricks before a crowd of people in an often less physically controlled environment?

When the judge pool and overall safety protocol criteria gets firmed up, there may be a reason for someone to offer exhibition pro credentials at an event like XDL. I don't know what it should cost to credential a pro, but the judges and hosts should be compensated for their time in a perfect world.

Just a bunch of opinions, if you don't like them, you can try unreading them. let me know how it works.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:28 AM

you can't say if you don't qualify you can't be considered a pro, there are only so many spots that can be filled....
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM

Huge Matt is a decent person

I'm kinda in the same boat...I can blow the pants off of some of the "pros" I've seen ride at XDL and SW circle combo wise, but I can't drift to save my life. I just haven't been out there practicing it, but when I get it maybe I'll try a pro event. Until then, I'll see the other 10,000 of you in amateur....lol...I think it's really more about how you structure your run and whether or not you can perform it consistently and not stink up an event.

Last edited by Huge Matt; 08-19-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:58 AM
J Blox

Good example is a buddy of mine can destroy all kinds of circle O's and some other pretty fancy tricks but there are quite a few things he doesn't practice and didnt plan a run..he placed in the 50s at stuntwars..
Old 08-19-2009, 12:21 PM

Huge Matt is a decent person

you gotta have the top level acros because that's all the crowd cares about...switchback headstands and christs...
Old 08-19-2009, 12:27 PM

excessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud ofexcessa has much to be proud of

High Styles, you're right the direction I'm indicating isn't really in everyone's best interests, or even do-able right now. but it's in the right direction. I was trying to be general and not speak in absolutes.

there has to be some oversight, or eventually a guy who has power wheelies on lock is going to book a show and kill someone the media cares about.

there are a lot of factors, but hopefully the questions can be addressed and pro cards can start being officially handed out to those riders with the proven skill and dedication not to crash in a way that will endanger anyone else.

that's what I hope for anyhow.

Quick Reply: What seperates Amateurs from Pros