ACL and MCL torn. Any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm in love with a lot

PancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of light
ACL and MCL torn. Any insight?

Mousetrapped and my immediate reaction was to put my right foot down as it felt like it was snapping me in that direction. As soon as I made contact, I tore both ligaments. They are both Stage three or third degree injuries. I am scheduled for an MCL/ACL reconstruction where they will use a hamstring graft to replace my torn ligaments.

Question is, have any of you guys had this surgery? If so, have you had success getting back on the bike with a trustworthy, stable knee, and how long into your recovery did you feel comfortable jumping back on it?
Old 08-12-2009, 12:57 PM

larryjoe6485 is a decent person
Re: ACL and MCL torn. Any insight?

bro u got a long road but u can do it its gonna hurt like hell for a gud bit and if u ever stran it its really gonna hurt ur lookn at like a year before it will be back to where it dont bother u real bad
Old 08-12-2009, 01:11 PM

PeterNoggin is a decent person

I tore mine from football and never got surgery and still going good but my boy had his done and came out pretty good you can get two types one from a cadaver or from the back of the leg and they both come out pretty good but coming from a personal trainer i would go with the cadaver instead of the removal of a muscle fiber or something in the back of the leg because if you ever want to run or anything you take the risk of maybe tearin the hamstring

but also remember this whenever you get done with surgery you will start feeling better around the 4-6 month mark the ligament is at its weakest point so be careful of not retearing that...........but if I remember I think edub did his too

so work of advice be easy and also pick up weight training and do alot of isolation type movements to rebuild the quad to stabilize the knee

if you need some ideas pm me

holla
Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ZANNMANN can only hope to improve

i had surgery in 03 full reconstructive ... it took me like 3 months til i was on a bike and in the gym and like 6 months till i was moving o.k. then i was back at it scrapin hc and jumpin around and ****. then in 06 i blew that **** appart again. havnt had surgery and its looses as a gooses def have to wear a knee brace and its pretty much all good. get surgery and get back on the bike. stuntriding aint goin nowhere itll still be here after your healed. so do it!!!
-zannmann
Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by ZANNMANN
def have to wear a knee brace and its pretty much all good.
+100000000000
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm in love with a lot

PancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of lightPancakePete is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DSGSXR600
I tore mine from football and never got surgery and still going good but my boy had his done and came out pretty good you can get two types one from a cadaver or from the back of the leg and they both come out pretty good but coming from a personal trainer i would go with the cadaver instead of the removal of a muscle fiber or something in the back of the leg because if you ever want to run or anything you take the risk of maybe tearin the hamstring

but also remember this whenever you get done with surgery you will start feeling better around the 4-6 month mark the ligament is at its weakest point so be careful of not retearing that...........but if I remember I think edub did his too

so work of advice be easy and also pick up weight training and do alot of isolation type movements to rebuild the quad to stabilize the knee

if you need some ideas pm me

holla
Yeah, the doc told me that the graft site would heal more slowly than my knee, but the bastard never said nothing about permanent weakness in my ham. I'll run that by him. Preeshiate the info very much.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm in love with a lot

Originally Posted by ZANNMANN
i had surgery in 03 full reconstructive ... it took me like 3 months til i was on a bike and in the gym and like 6 months till i was moving o.k. then i was back at it scrapin hc and jumpin around and ****. then in 06 i blew that **** appart again. havnt had surgery and its looses as a gooses def have to wear a knee brace and its pretty much all good. get surgery and get back on the bike. stuntriding aint goin nowhere itll still be here after your healed. so do it!!!
-zannmann
Did you have the hamstring or patella graft? The doc said the ham requires more down time to properly heal, but said it was way stronger than the patella could ever be. Thank you for the insight.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:03 PM
SquidWheelies.com

SquidWheelies is an unknown quantity at this point

hit up my bro t-ice. hes had surgeries on both knees and he rocks the cti2 braces
Old 08-12-2009, 03:10 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

that sucks, muscle injuries are the worst,Id rather break a bone anyday.for the PT, swimming helps alot w/out adding much stress
Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

Ryan Moore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Civilly Disobey
Did you have the hamstring or patella graft? The doc said the ham requires more down time to properly heal, but said it was way stronger than the patella could ever be. Thank you for the insight.
Thats weird, my doctor said the exact opposite of that. He said the partella is the way to go becuase he uses a piece of bone with it also, it acltualy revascularizes and turns into a solid ligament, but the healing time is longer due to the piece of bone being removed from the knee cap. I went with the petalla graft, twice now, LOL. one on each knee. This last one I did cartalige too, it took me a year of physical therapy before I was 110 percent.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person

i dont mean to thread jack but does an injury like that every truly heal?? like would you be any more/less subseptable (i know it aint spelled right) to hurting it again after the surgury? or would it be back to like it never happened?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by big ben
i dont mean to thread jack but does an injury like that every truly heal?? like would you be any more/less subseptable (i know it aint spelled right) to hurting it again after the surgury? or would it be back to like it never happened?
just depends on the persons body and rehab but once the knee is fix the body tries to compensate for it but it is known that people tear or have problems with the other knees
Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 PM

hew93 is a decent person

i had the same thing done as you in highschool from racing motocross. it took me about 6 months to get back on a bike and yea it will be strong as it was as long as you baby it and nurse it back the right way. the graft heals slower yes and mine is a lil bit weaker. i had my shoulder done about two years ago too and it never will be the same again it hurts everyday when i wake up lol. but you will be fine man just be good to your knee and you will be ite. just use the pain pills alot lol good luck bro
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 AM

nolimitriderz is a decent person

Pete Just remeber they always make better replacement parts better then the factory ones.. Good times tonight bro TIll the next
Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

ZANNMANN can only hope to improve

i had the hamstring graft and to be honest,my ham still bothers me when i stretch at the gym,and when i do legs i can feel the spot they grafted from. now remember i had my surgery in 03,docs have stepped up their sports medicine game since then. if i were you id see a sports team docotr who specifies in athletes. and ask for a cadaver ligament. youll be back up and running much faster. but like the other dude said if you baby it and nurse it back slowly it will basically be as good as new with a lil less range of motion. **** will b tough and it def hurts but youll be alright man.
-zannmann
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 AM

jono mono is a decent person

I am scheduled for an MCL/ACL reconstruction where they will use a hamstring graft to replace my torn ligaments.
isnt it pretty hard to bust your mcl?? sounds like you did a real number on ya knee!!
Old 08-13-2009, 06:07 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

just dont skimp on the PT!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm in love with a lot

Originally Posted by nolimitriderz
Pete Just remeber they always make better replacement parts better then the factory ones.. Good times tonight bro TIll the next
Yeah, so I've heard. Think I'm gonna go with the 4-piston HoHey graft. Hope you didn't finish all those Heineys by yourself. Thanks for all the advice from everyone
Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
The 09 Takeover

JSkillz23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mousetrapped and my immediate reaction was to put my right foot down as it felt like it was snapping me in that direction. As soon as I made contact, I tore both ligaments. They are both Stage three or third degree injuries. I am scheduled for an MCL/ACL reconstruction where they will use a hamstring graft to replace my torn ligaments.

Question is, have any of you guys had this surgery? If so, have you had success getting back on the bike with a trustworthy, stable knee, and how long into your recovery did you feel comfortable jumping back on it?

Sorry to hear about what happened man. And i can tell you i know 100% about how you feel. I have torn the ACL in my left knee and ACL and MCL in my right knee. I just had reconstructive surgery on my right knee in April and am walking and riding normal, but with caution.

The surgery isn't that bad, i was only in the hospital for 1 night and 2 days. I didn't have the hamstring one, i had the patella graft, which is taking the new ligaments off your knee cap to shin.

I heard the hamstring one heals faster then my surgery i had. Well according to physical therapist. Thats another thing, you will be in Physical Therapy for a long time... Heal Up Bro. I feel your pain.

Name:  5371_133519075820_623205820_3627814.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  25.1 KB

Name:  5371_133519080820_623205820_3627815.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  Knee3.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  17.7 KB
Old 08-13-2009, 09:34 AM
The 09 Takeover

JSkillz23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ryan Moore
Thats weird, my doctor said the exact opposite of that. He said the partella is the way to go becuase he uses a piece of bone with it also, it acltualy revascularizes and turns into a solid ligament, but the healing time is longer due to the piece of bone being removed from the knee cap. I went with the petalla graft, twice now, LOL. one on each knee. This last one I did cartalige too, it took me a year of physical therapy before I was 110 percent.

I was told that the hamstring is for people that aren't very "athletic" but it heals faster.

Quick Reply: ACL and MCL torn. Any insight?