Would stiffer springs help the let down on wheelies?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 02:54 AM

mroneeyedboh is a decent person
Would stiffer springs help the let down on wheelies?

I bought my RR with a set of springs that the owner never installed. They are 10rate springs and are meant for like 200lbs rider. I'm at 170 now, but with me learning wheelies and ****, the front end always doesnt come down as it should. WOuld a heavier stiffer spring ease the slam of bike?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 AM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of
Re: Would stiffer springs help the let down on wheelies?

Throttle control would ease the slam a lot
Old 08-07-2009, 03:08 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

If you do wheelies with no gloves you get better throttle control - lesson one - yut ughhhhhh
Old 08-07-2009, 03:12 AM

mroneeyedboh is a decent person

hahaha/\

no I was wondering for now. I just started in this and I've been messing around.Just doesnt sound good when letting that throttle chop. haha. Or do you think by the time I get throttle control down it should be alright?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:22 AM
N2O
Never 2 old 2 die!

N2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh
I bought my RR with a set of springs that the owner never installed. They are 10rate springs and are meant for like 200lbs rider. I'm at 170 now, but with me learning wheelies and ****, the front end always doesnt come down as it should. WOuld a heavier stiffer spring ease the slam of bike?
Stiffer springs will not help you, it would jus make your putdown harsher.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:30 AM
www.stuntbikestore.com

SBS Pez is a decent person

Yes it does help. I had my forks done half a year into stunting my GSXR600 and It helps in many ways. as long as you have the damping done.
Im 240 lb so I have to have crossers done( resprong) when I get them, any way so I tried my stunter and the same thing happened. Better steering a lot less bottoming out and no seals going

Just saying as Ive had it done(before and after) lots of people will say no but have never done it which is typical of internet heros

Pez
Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 AM

TOP_DAWG is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it would help for mouse traps to a point. it would be easier on your seals and the forks in general but its not gonna make the landing softer by anymeans if anything it will make it harder but the spring itself will take more of the abuse and will ease the abuse on your oil/valves.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:54 PM
***tastic

rookie stunter is a decent person

it would help if have it set up for your weight. it helps way more than people think it does
Old 08-07-2009, 02:10 PM
N2O
Never 2 old 2 die!

N2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud ofN2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SBS Pez
Yes it does help. I had my forks done half a year into stunting my GSXR600 and It helps in many ways. as long as you have the damping done.
Im 240 lb so I have to have crossers done( resprong) when I get them, any way so I tried my stunter and the same thing happened. Better steering a lot less bottoming out and no seals going

Just saying as Ive had it done(before and after) lots of people will say no but have never done it which is typical of internet heros

Pez
GONG!!....it helped you because your 240! prob 250 with gear on.
It will not help a rider that is 170-180 to put springs in for a guy/girl 200+ but you can replace the stock progressive springs with flat rate springs that are dialed for your exact weight, this does help.
in regards to the valving wearing out or the oil wearing out, this does not happen...the oil gets dirty from the bushings wearing and teflon particles breaking down getting into the valving but a change of oil and bushings, cleaning out valving will fix that.
Have the dampening done? you mean set the sag? this does help but only if you have your spring rate close..will not do shiz if you weigh 170 and have a spring rate for a 200+ weight guy/girl
peace from the internet hero........

Last edited by N2O; 08-07-2009 at 02:15 PM.