rear brake fade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 08:15 PM

9hunit is an unknown quantity at this point
rear brake fade?

i just started getting on the rear brake this weekend, after about ten minutes of repeated first gears on the brake, my pedal disapeared? has anyone had this happen, it went on and off all day it cools and the pedal comes back, i just swaped the whole system to a 929 master and caliper, pedal is alittle lower but maybe this will help. i bled the dam thing ttwice and still no help, somone mentioned i should run dot 5 fluid, is this true any help is apreciated.
Old 07-22-2003, 08:55 PM

Drastic-James is an unknown quantity at this point
Your fluid is getting too hot, try the DOT 5
Old 07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
www.Redline-Xtreme.com

RedlineJimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
First thing don't try Dot 5.

Brake fade is exteremly common for people just learning to 12. My brakes would fade out every damn 20 minutes when I was first learning them. Finally, I realized that you do not need to ride the brake the entire time to slow the bike down. You want to pop it up nice and high....fast. I probably use only 30% of the brake now Vs. the 90% of the time when I was first learning them. You want to gradually "tap" the brake...not ride the brake.

Learning 12's is an annoying process and Brake fade is just one of the hurdles that you have to over come .
Old 07-22-2003, 09:25 PM

9hunit is an unknown quantity at this point
i know what your saying but i noticed taping the brake makes me inconsistant, i noticed constant presure along with steady gas keeps me smoother, i tried less presure and i ended up twitchy, like i said im just learning, i think my brake system isnt the best either im gonna try the 929 calliper and master, it bolted right up. whats the difference between dot 3 and dot 5 though, will this help at all?
Old 07-22-2003, 09:39 PM
BIG T ----D UNIT

rev.9rr is an unknown quantity at this point
the diffrence is the heat it can handle when the fluid is hot enough it will boil wich puts air in the system and air is able to be compressed unlike fluid so you get a soft pedal dot 5 should help make sure to run a lot of fluid through thesystem to get rid of any old fluid and good luck
Old 07-22-2003, 10:59 PM
Is building another f4i

skillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really niceskillz is just really nice
Originally posted by RedlineJimmy
First thing don't try Dot 5.

Brake fade is exteremly common for people just learning to 12. My brakes would fade out every damn 20 minutes when I was first learning them. Finally, I realized that you do not need to ride the brake the entire time to slow the bike down. You want to pop it up nice and high....fast. I probably use only 30% of the brake now Vs. the 90% of the time when I was first learning them. You want to gradually "tap" the brake...not ride the brake.

Learning 12's is an annoying process and Brake fade is just one of the hurdles that you have to over come .
i would have to agree a little less brake and a little less throttle used to have that problem but now i can 12 for hours with no brake fade
Old 07-25-2003, 06:40 PM

miked is an unknown quantity at this point
brake fade

i also ride a 900 with the 929 setup. Are you using stock pads? if not go and get some cause the stock honda ones cant be beat. also i use dot 5.1 synthetic fluid from motorex. anyway with this setup i have never boiled over the brakes even on the highway using the brake for over a mile
Old 07-25-2003, 07:21 PM

sillyg is an unknown quantity at this point
To much brake when i first started 12's I had the same thing happen. Now it never happens.
Old 07-25-2003, 07:28 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
my brakes suck to start with
Old 07-25-2003, 09:13 PM

RichieDubs is an unknown quantity at this point
i bled my brakes, brought the wheelie up higher and faster, and i can go all day.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:09 AM

usualsuspects is an unknown quantity at this point
your break keeps feeling like its going out kuz the pad is to hot. when the pad heats up to much it won't grab the rotor.
Old 07-26-2003, 12:38 AM

allenr1@xtc is an unknown quantity at this point
if you decide to change the fluid you need to drain all the old fluid out because 5.1 is not compatible with the others ( or that is what they say ) i went to 5.1 for consistant endos and liked it
Old 07-26-2003, 11:10 AM
I Have Too Much Free Time

Jay Carnes will become famous soon enough
I hear the brake fade. I do it alot more in sit down 12's, for some reason i ride alot more brake. I crashed sunday cause of it. was draggin the bar in a sit down 12, hit the brake & it wasn't there. oh well, when your bike looks like mine its all good.

But jimmy, i got a question for you about not riding the brake. I ride the brake the enire time. I feel it makes it alot smoother than completely getting on & off the brake. Granted im not on the brake hard, just a small constant drag. Ive tried it w/ alot less brake & it gets jerky.

Ive been trying less brake during ultra slow wheelies, cause im @ the point now where the bikes stalling and I can't make it go slower. I figure less brake, less strain. Slower i can go. Im down to 4-5 mph. But i wanna be creepin where i have to clutch it to keep it running.......... enough of my useless rambling.........