Staggered 1st gear Clutch ups on a 6RR with -1/+1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Never Good Enuff

chipottley is a decent person
Question Staggered 1st gear Clutch ups on a 6RR with -1/+1

So I'm working on launching slow, 1st gear staggered clutch ups on my '05 600RR and since my gearing is only -1/+1 I'm finding out real quick that this set up is not very user friendly (no torque + tall-er gearing = pain in ***).

I know the RR's are the hardest to do this on, but does Anybody have any tips or tricks to launching it up to BP smoothly/right away with this set up?

I searched but couldn't find anything about this topic.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 PM

DoodleF4i can only hope to improve
Re: Staggered 1st gear Clutch ups on a 6RR with -1/+1

put both of ya feet on da ground,and rev that badboy up all the way..jerk ya right hard real hard like til that thing be goin wananananananan then let go of the clutches and jerk up on the handle bars at the same time..good luck dats how i catwalk my rr.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Incredible shrinking man

blee is a decent person

crankin up your idle will help once your at bp,it makes it less choppy cause the high idle makes the bike want to stay up(if your doin it right)sorry but the only advice I got is to keep practicin.you'll get it.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:48 PM
***tastic

rookie stunter is a decent person

gotta get it up immediately, ive ridden a few 600rr's i always thought they were pretty good in 1st gear.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:55 PM

stunin636 is a decent person

Originally Posted by blee
crankin up your idle will help once your at bp,it makes it less choppy cause the high idle makes the bike want to stay up(if your doin it right)sorry but the only advice I got is to keep practicin.you'll get it.

where you usually keep your idle for slow bp?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:59 PM

salaminfred is a decent person

im running -1 and stock in the back and i can bring it up to balance point rolling at idle. everything stock. i kinda feel like im almost at twelve sometimes.

hearing the exhaust scrape scared the **** out of me the last time when i looped it.

i just cant hold it there too long. haha. my rear brake control sucks. i dont know what rpm i rev it up to but its not that much. i just listen to the sound. gonna install my handbrake so i have an emergency brake i can grab until my foot gets dialed in. haha
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 PM

B0arder606 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salaminfred
gonna install my handbrake so i have an emergency brake i can grab until my foot gets dialed in. haha

Thats gonna work
Old 07-10-2009, 11:42 PM
caballero del diablo

deanknight636 is a decent person

AAAAAAAHHHHHH **** i just looped like a mother about 40 minutes ago. no jacket no gloves, just my helmet. slammed the exhaust into the street front end came down so fast i launched into the air over the bars straight in front of my bike which was slideing down the road directly behind me.... lol luckily i had enough since to flip in the air and watch where the bike was so i was able to jump outta the way. dont know what happened...complacency i guess. just wasn't respecting that **** and twisted it up lol. bike is good i got some shitty road rash. nothin even worth postin i just had to vent HAHAHHA.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Never Good Enuff

Originally Posted by DoodleF4i
put both of ya feet on da ground,and rev that badboy up all the way..jerk ya right hard real hard like til that thing be goin wananananananan then let go of the clutches and jerk up on the handle bars at the same time..good luck dats how i catwalk my rr.
Are you serious or ****** w/me? 'cause I know that can be done, but not @ full throttle.

Originally Posted by blee4033257

I already ran the idle up. I'm not worried about keepin it there, just gettin it there smoothly. these RR's have so little torque/tall gearing and such a redicculously high BP that it makes it awkward.

Originally Posted by rookie stunter4033282
gotta get it up immediately, ive ridden a few 600rr's i always thought they were pretty good in 1st gear.

How fast are you goin when you bring it up quick like that?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 AM
caballero del diablo

deanknight636 is a decent person

about 0 nukka just twist it up drop the clutch when you get scared hit the back break....just make sure you dont do like i posted above lol. then repeat until u dont hit the brakes to hard and you stop gettin scared
Old 07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
***tastic

rookie stunter is a decent person

pretty slow just barely rolling
Old 07-11-2009, 12:30 AM

600_rr is an unknown quantity at this point

You just got to quit making excuses. RR's have a very strong idle and are very smooth bikes once you get used to them. You just need to practice more. You don't need more gearing, more handbrake, just more practice. Place the idle around 2.5-3k to learn and work on being smooth with the brake. That's it. I have a video on youtube with -1 +1 when I was learning for proof.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by 600_rr
You just got to quit making excuses. RR's have a very strong idle and are very smooth bikes once you get used to them. You just need to practice more. You don't need more gearing, more handbrake, just more practice. Place the idle around 2.5-3k to learn and work on being smooth with the brake. That's it. I have a video on youtube with -1 +1 when I was learning for proof.
+1 practice practice practice. go a little at a time and you will have it...........make sure you have good rear brakes pads
Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
CA STUNTER

big ben is a decent person

idle will defineiatly help, , but youll get used to the 1st gear buck, its fun in ss, like it drops out of your feet, dont do staggered though on stock gearing in 1st...i learned the hard way......
Old 07-11-2009, 01:42 AM
life is good......BRAAAP!

-nelson will become famous soon enough

You have to clutch it up man, seriously... turn your idle up to around three grand. Try from basicly a dead stop, I suggest left foot on the ground , sitting still with first gear engaged and with clutch fully pulled in. Make sure your right foot is covering the RB, slip the clutch and blip the throttle at the same time. Keep practicing this until you can consistently get it straight to BP, which will be when your front forks are level/horizontal with the ground. You will most likely clutch it past the point or way below it, just be sure to tap the RB, and blip the throttle...It will come natural, basicly a reflex, if you clutch straight up fast to balance point you will naturally catch idle..

The first time I hit balance point and caught idle though I was staggered, on a 99 zx9 with a 73 tooth sprocket..good luck man..just keep riding
Old 07-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

practice
Old 07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Never Good Enuff

Yeah, I figured this^^

I just needed to hear it from someone else on a RR. Thanks man. you got a link to that video?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:19 AM
STILL ON PROBATION!

WolfmanJack is a decent person

+1. . .I still have trouble find BP in first, but clutching it up in second (which will be harder for you as I am running -1 +5) is much smoother and makes it easier to control. Aside from that it's just seat time dude, like he said, it takes getting used to.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:32 AM

da Liks is a decent person

Originally Posted by big ben
idle will defineiatly help, , but youll get used to the 1st gear buck, its fun in ss, like it drops out of your feet, dont do staggered though on stock gearing in 1st...i learned the hard way......
that makes no sense at all. why not??
Old 07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
KILLIN BIKES

JOHNNYSTUNTS is a decent person

wheelies are a myth

Quick Reply: Staggered 1st gear Clutch ups on a 6RR with -1/+1