Front suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 AM

jasonpayne123 is a decent person
Front suspension problems

Ok, i feel like a dumbass bc I have given advice on front end suspension and now im at a loss. I used to be able to roll 4-500 ft stoppies all day on my gsxr. here's my problem.

When I try to pull up a stoppie in 2nd the front wheel just slides! slower stoppies slide a little bit but pick up after a bit. But when it comes up it seems like it bounces a little bit before i get it up to bp. Normally I run the adjustments on the top all the way up. Stiff as it goes. but it seems with this bike it doesnt slide as bad when i loosen it up, but now its bottoming out. ive never had to adjust the bottom or the pre-load. I weigh about 150lbs and fairly aggressive with stoppies. And ive already messed with the tire pressure from 40lbs- to 25lbs and its a pilot power. What exactly does every adjustment do and how does ppl run theirs. its an 04 636.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person
Re: Front suspension problems

Old 06-24-2009, 01:18 AM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

I cant roll stopies that long but stiffer suspension means better chance of front wheel lock up. why? because your not transferring the weight smoothly to the front,its a instant transfer instead of the suspention compressing and transsffering the weight over a longer period of time..i dont care what anyone saids but stiffer suspention dose not mean longer stopies..
Old 06-24-2009, 01:19 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by $$$$DINO$$$$
I cant roll stopies that long but stiffer suspension means better chance of front wheel lock up. why? because your not transferring the weight smoothly to the front,its a instant transfer instead of the suspention compressing and transsffering the weight over a longer period of time..i dont care what anyone saids but stiffer suspention dose not mean longer stopies..
it means smoother and better control
Old 06-24-2009, 01:31 AM

well.... not really. you are correct to a point. but the whole weight transfer has alot to it, the back wheel is not going to come up until the front suspension is completely compressed or at the end of its travel, i used to run the gsxr at full setting. my problem is setting up the rebound and pre load.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 AM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

Originally Posted by jasonpayne123
well.... not really. you are correct to a point. but the whole weight transfer has alot to it, the back wheel is not going to come up until the front suspension is completely compressed or at the end of its travel, i used to run the gsxr at full setting. my problem is setting up the rebound and pre load.
maybe you just have to get used to the bike,im not saying you dont want the forks to compress just to compress a little slower so the weight has time to transsffer and tire to stick and not slide..500 is long as ****,you should know whats wrong,thats master level
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 AM

kylenv is a decent person

http://pnwriders.com/mechanical-tech...-question.html

here is some basic info. I think if i read your first post you are adjusting your rebound and not the compression like you think....

Last edited by kylenv; 06-24-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by kylenv
wrong info
i was thinking that did not sound right
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 AM

there i had to check real quick. check that page out.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

:::error:::
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM

maybe you just have to get used to the bike,im not saying you dont want the forks to compress just to compress a little slower so the weight has time to transsffer and tire to stick and not slide..500 is long as ****,you should know whats wrong,thats master level

it just depends who you ride with i guess, i ride with some dudes that can roll. i mean thier no bill d but their pretty good, and every day at the lot i probably practice about 50% of my time at the lot on just stoppies.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:53 AM

not super familiar with the 636. on my 954 you had a nut up top to adjust preload, then the top nut for rebound, then the bottom for compression I am pretty sure at least can't think right now im tired
Old 06-24-2009, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by kylenv
http://pnwriders.com/mechanical-tech...-question.html

here is some basic info. I think if i read your first post you are adjusting your rebound and not the compression like you think....
thats money. thanks bro! exactly what i needed.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 AM

yeah im not giving stoppie advice as I am just finally starting to get them and not that far. but I know i had been adjusting my top nut like it was the end all of suspension tuning only to find out how dumb that was. now I have it dialed in and though i still can't roll it is way easier and my tire never skids out even on some pretty dusty roads.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:43 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

you should be able to pick the back of the bike up with all settings on full stiff , im not saying thats how you should run it but if your technique is good then you should not be skidding a pilot on good pavement ...

i like both rebound and compression set at about 95% and my preload is as stiff as i can get it with out causing the rebound to be effected because the tighter you have your preload the faster the forks will rebound even with the rebound setting on full stiff ..

p.s dialing out the sag from your rear spring can help keep the front tire from skidding
Old 06-24-2009, 09:28 AM
A.M STOPPIE SCHOOL

ROWDY is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
you should be able to pick the back of the bike up with all settings on full stiff , im not saying thats how you should run it but if your technique is good then you should not be skidding a pilot on good pavement ...

i like both rebound and compression set at about 95% and my preload is as stiff as i can get it with out causing the rebound to be effected because the tighter you have your preload the faster the forks will rebound even with the rebound setting on full stiff ..

p.s dialing out the sag from your rear spring can help keep the front tire from skidding
+1
What master do u have on there? Is it an OLD Pilot that maybe the compound has gone away in? Do u just hit the brakes or do u pump them once or twice before pickup? It sounds like ur suspension is way off my friend and by playing with the settings u should accomplish what ur trying to achieve. U want the frontend to compress and at the same time the rear end to unload. (weight transfer) But once u acheive that u want the frontend to rebound very slowly so it doesnt unload the tire... causing lockup and chirping.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger

its a brand new pilot and on a perfect lot. my technique is on point. im just thinking whoever had the bike before throught they would do their own adjustments and screwed it all up. i can set one up from stock but i got another question. how do i set up the preload and where should i set it. and how do i dial out the sag? ive never messed with rear suspension but i noticed last night in a ss i was jumping up and down like i was on a trampoline, ppl were laughing but i wasnt doing it to be funny, i know somethings not right

Last edited by jasonpayne123; 06-24-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

i dunno **** bout stoppies, but i know Payne was killin em OKC weekend
its that kawi giving ya trouble Jason
Old 06-24-2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by 50slut
i dunno **** bout stoppies, but i know Payne was killin em OKC weekend
its that kawi giving ya trouble Jason
haha whassup pimp. yeah who ever had it before me jacked everything up! i need it ready for this weekend. were doing a show at joes crab shack then the street ride. then stunt shows and bike games all day saturday with sunday full of lot riding!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:05 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

dialing out the sag just means tighten the rear spring till there is no sag in the suspension , the suspension will be at the top of it's travel with no one on the bike ..

as for the bounce when you are doing seat standers just set the rear shock settings [compression and rebound ] at full hard , i think you will like your bike alot better after doing this

as far as the preload on the front goes i like mine as tight as i can get it with out effecting the rebound meaning i set it so the bike doesnt pogo on the pick up , i think im at about 50% if memory serves

Quick Reply: Front suspension problems