harbor freight tire changer

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:00 AM

Josh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to beholdJosh911R6 is a splendid one to behold
Re: harbor freight tire changer

much more fun than jumping on the end of the ramp to break the stupid bead.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:51 AM
www.GRAMX.com

Sicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to behold

Old 06-24-2009, 01:08 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JesseJacobs
Why is there still a discussion.... I think this is obviously the way to go...
that looks like that woudl take longer to put all them straps on, then to take 1 minute to spoon the tire on.

Plus them straps aren't going to do **** for poping the bead off, which is the hardest part
Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
the main number 1 technique and tool that shops use that people dont use is SOAP! lots and lots of dish soap and only 1 tire iron. if you try and use 2 of them at once, 1 for prying and 1 for holding the other side of the tire from moving you will destroy the bead and bend the lip of the rim. the series of steel cables that run along the bead can not and will not bend or stretch at all. once youve screwed it up and realize that you can get it done in 10 minutes you will never pay another shop again. also they will not take the time to make sure they dont gauge your rotor, properly torque the axle, and properly clean and adjust the chain. and if you just take the wheel off and bring it down there then you are making them even richer because you did 90% of the work yourself already.
Silicone spray works even better.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Retired

NINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for repNINER User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by Towlieee
that looks like that woudl take longer to put all them straps on, then to take 1 minute to spoon the tire on.

Plus them straps aren't going to do **** for poping the bead off, which is the hardest part
If you put the rim on the ground and silicone spray the beads of the tire you can litterally get the first bead seated on the rim by throwing the tire at the rim at the right angle. Finish the other bead with 2 tire irons.

Prop up the rim with a couplke of 2x4's so the brake rotor doesn't touch the ground.

Break the bead by driving over it.

I have 3 of the large curved tire irons and they work like a dream.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NINER
If you put the rim on the ground and silicone spray the beads of the tire you can litterally get the first bead seated on the rim by throwing the tire at the rim at the right angle. Finish the other bead with 2 tire irons.

Prop up the rim with a couplke of 2x4's so the brake rotor doesn't touch the ground.

Break the bead by driving over it.

I have 3 of the large curved tire irons and they work like a dream.

I do same

drive over it, couple 8" motion pro tire irons, soapy water or windex whatever is closest, takes no time at all.

I can get my tires mounted and balanced free at a friends shop, but it's about 10 minutes from my house..
The time it takes me to drive there and back, I could spoon my tires myself and not hassle him
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 PM

atnuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by *trix*
i used the car method this weekend, I put my rim on the edge of my grass (as to not ruin it) and just drove over the side, and I have low profile rims and it didnt ruin/scratch them at all and it took less then a minute to do. I will never do it any different ever again
bingo! done in 15 minutes
Old 06-25-2009, 12:06 AM
shady since the 80's

Austin913 is a decent person

I've had one for a couple years. it's paid for itself a few times over, and gotten me lots of beer from buddies.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:37 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

first time i tried i used the car running over the tire thing. i suck the tire just kept moving and i was using a honda pilot
Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 AM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

JesseJacobs can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by modularmind
and gotten me lots of beer from buddies.
Word!! I'm gettin one asap!
Old 06-25-2009, 10:07 PM

Tekanomics is a decent person

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rim-S...Q5fAccessories

those any good?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:56 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

^^^ im sure those work quite well. i want to know if a towel or something else lying around will suffice in saving my rim from being scratched by the spoons.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 PM

Tekanomics is a decent person

spoons maybe, tire iron rip em. i tried cutting a plastic milk jug up n using it, no dice either.

i think ima buy a bead breaker and try n keep the sidewall pushed into the "V" of the rim to make it esasier.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:54 AM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RROCCO
^^^ im sure those work quite well. i want to know if a towel or something else lying around will suffice in saving my rim from being scratched by the spoons.
Those nylon rim protectors work great. I use them. As for using a towel or something, it doesn't work. I even tried putting a nice amount of duct tape on the ends of the tire iron along with a towel and it still didn't work out. Not sure if those rim protectors are any good but the ones I got are tough as hell. Called Pro something. Got them at my local bike shop.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:10 AM

blinkybill04 is a decent person

do any of you balance your tires? just wonderin. obviously a lot bike doesnt matter too much- but if its a commuter do you worry bout it?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:50 AM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tirechange

i found this looking around and there seems to be some good ideas there.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:52 AM

SIC J is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blinkybill04
do any of you balance your tires? just wonderin. obviously a lot bike doesnt matter too much- but if its a commuter do you worry bout it?
Never. I think its pointless.

I've seen so many people go to the track and put on brand new tires there and never balance their tires. Then go out and straight kill it.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

balance matters. i can feel the difference while riding. having a heavy spot of a tire spinning round and round aint cool in my book. for the people at the track that dont do it and kill it, good for them. theres also people who jump off niagra falls in a barrell and survive just fine, but that dont mean im gonna do it.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM

CAL-BOY-GIXXER is a decent person

Originally Posted by ToKwik
Spend a little extra money and get a NoMar.

Built better and will actually stand up to regular daily abuse without fail.
How much are those and where do you get'em. will they do quad and dirtbike tires as well?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 PM

Big R 508 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by NINER
Silicone spray works even better.

+++1111 The best magic **** for tires...easy to slide in n bam.

Quick Reply: harbor freight tire changer