So I get about 16 mpg . . . .any guesses? Help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:51 AM

redhenracing2 is a decent person
Re: So I get about 16 mpg . . . .any guesses? Help?

Originally Posted by f4ibry
does it have full coverage insurance?
if it did I would have pushed it off a bridge a long time ago
Old 06-22-2009, 03:29 AM

Tekanomics is a decent person

if you can, save as a schematic or parts fiche for me and upload it here from photobucket or something. i gotta use phone as a modem for now so it kinda sux, however. it could be vac associated. on my yzf 600r i had a line fall off in the nose from one of the aire 'shoes' in the side n i couldnt go over 50mph seriously, i was trippen out bout to pay $60 jus to have it diagnosed til i took the nose off n found the culprit unhooked. ima keep using numbers for steps helps me keep track of prognosis
1. spark plugs are ok, pull em again though when u got time just to make sure the left one isn't suffering horrible carbon buildup or anything from unburnt fuel.
2. ur wires n coils are good so were ok there, u swaped all that back n forth to make sure things were copesthetic too so thats golden
3. if ur bikes a gs500e its 89-96 then it changed in 97 i think, staright gs500 was only 01/02.
4. when did this start happening/what mod if any did u do before this issue?
5. as i said previously check the rectifier
6. u got new coils but hows the spark plug cap?
7. its great u have compression in mind, people are right, culd b a cause of flooding n fuel waste but not poor spark. do a compression text anyways!
8. it could be as easy as a pinched wire if its been dropped or something
9. i thought u said u swapped left coil to the right n it sparked well, correct?
10. check your grounds
11. if the shops coo n since they failed to diagnose before, if u paid them ask if they can run a multimeter through the electrical for voltage and current flows
12. i think ur bike has an ecu/ecm, a bit smaller then fi bikes, call a shop to find out or check the parts fiche, if so, that could be the bad seed and yes it can cause just 1 of something to crap out.
100. GET FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!

im tired so again READ this crap and try what u can at home, make a list of what you can do and what you cant specifically light electrical as far as grounds, damages to sections of harness anything you can do urself is ur primary turf but dont go pullen **** apart that you dont know, many of us are fuel injected owners so u'll b semi-limited on our resources if u *** up, u gotta question urself n think u can take it apart take pictures so u can ref. how it goes back together. remember, main focus tomorrow is electrical, check plugs, retest coil spark n swap sides n retest again. if thats good start tracing wires on that left side. if the coil side swap doesnt check then a coil or the spark plug cap is bad on the coil (i think u said u tried that though but do it again). then ensue with tracing from the coil to whatever is between that n the ecm or rectifier or anything else electrical. its not too hard of a problem just a bit time consuming but it'll be worth it if u wanna keep the bike so u can start really learning it!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:02 AM

redhenracing2 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Tekanomics
100. GET FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!
ha do you know how much full coverage on a sport bike is for a 17 year old? almost as much as I spend in gas every month
but seriously, thank you for your valuable input. ill get to work in the morning.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

if you pulled one plug wire off and the bikes idle doesnt change then that cylinder is either not getting any spark or not getting any gas or doesnt have compression ...

it may not be getting any spark because of an electrical issue or it's just running so rich that the spark plug cant burn the fuel

it may not have compression because of a burnt valve, cracked ring ,burnt piston or a couple other reasons but like a few people have mentioned do a compression check if for no other reason but to eliminate it as a problem so you can focus your attention elsewhere
Old 06-22-2009, 06:00 AM

crzyaccrd is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, just take the damn thing to the stealership, tell them to check the bike out and save ur self the wasted effort. Ask them for the loaner while they fix it... problem solved. Seriously, the motor might look different than the hondas you work on, but the work the same.....
Old 06-22-2009, 06:04 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by crzyaccrd
Wow, just take the damn thing to the stealership, tell them to check the bike out and save ur self the wasted effort. Ask them for the loaner while they fix it... problem solved. Seriously, the motor might look different than the hondas you work on, but the work the same.....
loaner ? no one around here would give any one a loaner ..lol