powdercoat wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:25 PM
motarded

jordanv3122 is a decent person
Re: powdercoat wheels

i just want white wheels and prefer to sandblast and powdercoat them rather than sand and paint. i may just have them sandblasted and paint them myself when i paint the bike. unless i can get a good deal on powdercoating im not payin over a hundred per wheel lol
Old 06-20-2009, 04:30 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

E-Loc540 is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres my buddy out of Fredericksburg, VA. He just finished my badass supermoto. Dude has sick coating skills and does things that many powdercoaters cant even believe is pcoat. Imma try to put up a pic of a gas tank he did for a V-Rod, it will blow you away.
http://www.myspace.com/showoffms
Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM
motarded

whats the big disadvantage to painting and clearing wheels? does it really not hold up well? im not rattlecanning anything its good dupont automotive paint i just always heard powdercoat is much better for wheels?
Old 06-20-2009, 06:40 PM
motarded

http://media.photobucket.com/image/c...RMULCHROM4.jpg heres the color fellas. its crystal red metallic lits on 08-09 corvette c6. thats for the bike. the wheels gota be white or gold.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

not even a question....the gold would look amazing with that color. white on the other hand, meh, not so much.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 PM
motarded

see i was stuck between gold and white. i have gold forks and front and rear calipers so i guess gold would be nice as long as it somewhat matches the forks and calipers. ill do my pegs and sprocket gold also
Old 06-20-2009, 09:16 PM

kylenv is a decent person

Originally Posted by E-Loc540
Heres my buddy out of Fredericksburg, VA. He just finished my badass supermoto. Dude has sick coating skills and does things that many powdercoaters cant even believe is pcoat. Imma try to put up a pic of a gas tank he did for a V-Rod, it will blow you away.
http://www.myspace.com/showoffms
that is some sick *** work! the 636 frame in red and black looks crazy
Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 PM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

it would prolly look similar to this.

i would pc the passenger pegs and rearsets the same flat color as the frame and just do the heel guard in gold as well as the sprocket. could do the stator engine covers in gold too.

Last edited by RROCCO; 06-20-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 AM
motarded

that looks awesome. only found a couple bikes that look like what i want

Last edited by jordanv3122; 06-21-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 AM

kylenv is a decent person

Originally Posted by RROCCO
it would prolly look similar to this.

i would pc the passenger pegs and rearsets the same flat color as the frame and just do the heel guard in gold as well as the sprocket. could do the stator engine covers in gold too.

go to the myspace link and click on bikes... he has a 636 frame that was polished then powder coated half black then half the same red as this bikes fairings...it is pretty ******* pimp..
Old 06-21-2009, 02:40 AM

ownage is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YSRRider
you cant do a quality job with a craftsman gun. the wheels need to be sand blasted at low pressure 40-60psi with 80 mesh or finer aluminum oxide, NOT GLASS BEAD! Glass bead does not bring you down to "virgin metal" Glass bead will take the surface and fold it down into itself so any contamination like dirt and oils is pushed into the metal and will come back to the surface during the bake. Is $80/wheel just coating and then blasting is separate? there is no way I will coat a wheel for $80 unless its for a friend. I thoroughly blast everything, chemically treat the metal for better adhesion and to wash the metal (rinse away dust) and then I prebake the rims. Once they come out of the oven the first time, I mask all the critical surfaces, masking the rims when they are hot allows the masking to stretch into corners better. There is a bit of labor involved in rims to do them right and make them look like they were done professionally and not done in someones basement with a craftsman gun.

this is what a professional job looks like.....
yep but my friend has a $900 gun so you dont have to fluff the powder and stuff he turned a sea land container into a propane oven...it's pimp and he does kick *** work,..does business with local chopper shops..
Old 06-21-2009, 12:37 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Originally Posted by kylenv
that is some sick *** work! the 636 frame in red and black looks crazy

thanks for the props man, imma try to get some pics of a gastank he did....
Old 06-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Almost Don't Count

bulgarianMike is a decent person

you cant do a quality job with a craftsman gun. the wheels need to be sand blasted at low pressure 40-60psi with 80 mesh or finer aluminum oxide, NOT GLASS BEAD! Glass bead does not bring you down to "virgin metal" Glass bead will take the surface and fold it down into itself so any contamination like dirt and oils is pushed into the metal and will come back to the surface during the bake. Is $80/wheel just coating and then blasting is separate? there is no way I will coat a wheel for $80 unless its for a friend. I thoroughly blast everything, chemically treat the metal for better adhesion and to wash the metal (rinse away dust) and then I prebake the rims. Once they come out of the oven the first time, I mask all the critical surfaces, masking the rims when they are hot allows the masking to stretch into corners better. There is a bit of labor involved in rims to do them right and make them look like they were done professionally and not done in someones basement with a craftsman gun.

this is what a professional job looks like.....
okkk i paid like 150for my gun and a few bucks for the powder andmy wheels look just as professional as yours i would have to say and i did then in my garage which is 5ft away from my basement. if you take your time and do them it will come out just as good
Old 06-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

you can't tell ysr about powder coating, unless it costs $80/hr it's not good work
Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

My friend had both his bikes powder coated, spent $1000 on his 600rr getting it done candy, it looked DOPE! But that was for a daily driver, not a full on stunt bike.

His stunt bike though, took it to a local sand blaster, $200 for the entire job. Sure it isn't as good of quality as the $1000 job, but its 1/5th the price, and it still looks damn good.
These pictures don't really do it justice as his bike hasn't been washed in a long time. Also that orange paint job, FREE! Just had to buy the paint and his friend did it

edit I'm embarrassed posting them pictures as my example. Didn't realize all the dirt and scuffs on it, went out and looked at it again, dirt and **** EVERYWHERE

Last edited by Towlieee; 06-21-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM
www.GRAMX.com

Sicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to beholdSicc0 is a splendid one to behold

dude if its a stunt bike just get some spray cans of engine enamel and spray the wheels yourself, it'll cost u like $20 my friend did that and it sticks, def not a pro job but who sees detail when ur wheels are spinning? lol
Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM
motarded

front wheel isnt spinning when you are doing circles or slow wheelies lol. im making the paint look good i fusor (2 part epoxy) repaired my side plastics and my front fender and hugger are perfect the tank is dented and has a few dents that shouldnt be there but im leaving them alone. im taking my time and making the bodywork look good so i just want the wheels to look good too. i still think i might just paint them though it seems like it may be easier than powdercoat. ill just have to keep them clean i guess and keep brake dust off them as much as i can
Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
540 BOYZ SUMO STUNTER

Heres the gastank my buddy did. This is powdercoat not paint.
(Advanced Coating Solutions. previously Showoff Motorsports-Fredericksburg, Va)

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/E-Loc/Downloads/ACS2.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ACS2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	226919  
Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

Originally Posted by RollinRedneck
I paid 80 bucks for powder coat saftey orange with clear coat

I can see why, dude didnt even mask off the brake rotor surfaces, those are machined from the factory for a reason.

Originally Posted by ownage
yep but my friend has a $900 gun so you dont have to fluff the powder and stuff he turned a sea land container into a propane oven...it's pimp and he does kick *** work,..does business with local chopper shops..

a $900 gun is nothing. A professional powder coating gun costs about $4000+, there is one out that cost over $12,000. Color changes by just pressing a button on the gun... its wicked but too much gun for a shop that is not spraying on a continuous conveyor line.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 AM

ownage is an unknown quantity at this point

I can see why, dude didnt even mask off the brake rotor surfaces, those are machined from the factory for a reason.

a $900 gun is nothing. A professional powder coating gun costs about $4000+, there is one out that cost over $12,000. Color changes by just pressing a button on the gun... its wicked but too much gun for a shop that is not spraying on a continuous conveyor line.
that gun is bad *** and they dont need to push a button to change colors...it's just as simple to swap the hoppers it's cool for there little shop and they do big money things all the time....all word of mouth

Quick Reply: powdercoat wheels