cages

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 PM

pancake is a decent person
cages

so i finally got fed up with my FI cage flexing and bending or breaking bolts and my clutch cover so now i just put on a cag that OMR made. was just wondering if its possible for a cage to be too strong
Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 PM

636squid is a decent person
Re: cages

I've heard that the Tygersharks are cracking frames but don't know if thats true, I feel there is too string because something has to give and fi the cage is to strong then the frame gives. SI cages are pimp and I've heard good things about Atown as well.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM

pancake is a decent person

FI cages are anything but strong. i have cracked both my stator cover and clutch cover with that cage from it flexing. i just hope this cage that roger built isnt too strong
Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Up0n0ne is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think OMR uses chromoly, which I believe chromoly is to strong and will break motor mounts. My understanding is the part of F.I.'s cage that is chromoly is the slider part where the loop connects to, and I have heard of them breaking mounts.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Yut-ugh.

nickalltogether is a decent person

Originally Posted by pancake
FI cages are anything but strong. i have cracked both my stator cover and clutch cover with that cage from it flexing. i just hope this cage that roger built isnt too strong
he meant to say if, but accidentally typed it backwards and said fi instead. I don't think it's possible for a cage to be too strong, if it's built properly it will distribute the force correctly... If it's built incorrectly then the whole hit is absorbed by the frame.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Cincykillz is a decent person

it doesnt matter what its made out of wether its chomoly or steel both are stronger than aluminum bikes can only take so much abuse before it gives and i try to drop my bike as least as possible but i dont think it would really matter if a cage is to strong i think a good idea would be .25 or .5 aluminum spacers between the cage and the frame but thats just my .02
Old 06-08-2009, 10:02 PM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

A-Town all the way
Old 06-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

It can't be 'too strong' it can just be improperly built

IE too strong at certain points, not strong enough at certain points, bad impact points
Old 06-08-2009, 10:58 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS.COM

squidlyr6 is a decent person

A-towN son! Best investment ever!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 PM

ownage is an unknown quantity at this point

never had a problem out of FI cage on my f4i...on my gsxr it broke the all thread thing quiet often...but by the way a CAGE like all things needs maintanence, and you should replace the hoop after a few HARD crashes, but they work great for me and super easy to work on
Old 06-08-2009, 11:11 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

atown = new hotness....everything else = old and busted
Old 06-09-2009, 12:50 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ownage
never had a problem out of FI cage on my f4i...on my gsxr it broke the all thread thing quiet often...but by the way a CAGE like all things needs maintanence, and you should replace the hoop after a few HARD crashes, but they work great for me and super easy to work on
the hoop is the strongest part, it shouldn't need replaced

The rest of the cage is whats garbage, shitty design, works on basic drops, just don't drop your **** hard
Old 06-09-2009, 12:57 AM
myspace.com/atowncustoms

slidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really niceslidewayz89 is just really nice

**** FI --it is worthless to someone who is not a pro....lol
A-town is a tank and will never need replace for nothing...i have dropped my bike harder than ever with it and just had to adjust my clip-ons and fiberglass my rear fairing.lol
Old 06-09-2009, 12:59 AM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

FI = peace of **** the ******* thing made my bike leak oil...
Old 06-09-2009, 01:02 AM

SON DOOBY is a decent person

Originally Posted by Up0n0ne
I don't think OMR uses chromoly, which I believe chromoly is to strong and will break motor mounts. My understanding is the part of F.I.'s cage that is chromoly is the slider part where the loop connects to, and I have heard of them breaking mounts.

i believe its actually milled out bar stock .... not molly...but bar stock is f -en strong
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cincykillz
it doesnt matter what its made out of wether its chomoly or steel both are stronger than aluminum bikes can only take so much abuse before it gives and i try to drop my bike as least as possible but i dont think it would really matter if a cage is to strong i think a good idea would be .25 or .5 aluminum spacers between the cage and the frame but thats just my .02

this guy is the smartest non cage builder alive... frames will break no matter what.... plus its also how you crashed... i use alum spacers if the frame countersinks.. but i have considered putting them on all mounts underneath the cages. that really would help A LOT! .. but that means new jigs for everything!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:15 AM

$$$$DINO$$$$ is a decent person

i been thinking we need a new cage with something softer on the sides.. something like a spring where the slider goes to observe the impact when the bike hits the ground..
Old 06-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by $$$$DINO$$$$
i been thinking we need a new cage with something softer on the sides.. something like a spring where the slider goes to observe the impact when the bike hits the ground..
Eh even with a spring, it doesn't do much

my 150 pound *** can LEAN into a tygershark cage and compress it fully...

Any halfway decent cage, A-town, impatek, SI, tygershark will ALL provide ample protection

If you need any more protection, get a f4i, or give up stunt riding

Honestly, all the pro's you see today, learned on worse cages then the current cages you can get.. They weren't learning on space age spring slider technology They LEARNED on FI and 905!!!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Eh even with a spring, it doesn't do much

my 150 pound *** can LEAN into a tygershark cage and compress it fully...

Any halfway decent cage, A-town, impatek, SI, tygershark will ALL provide ample protection

If you need any more protection, get a f4i, or give up stunt riding

Honestly, all the pro's you see today, learned on worse cages then the current cages you can get.. They weren't learning on space age spring slider technology They LEARNED on FI and 905!!!!!
i learned on 905 .. about 8 sets of them ..t his was wayyy back in the day of course lol
Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Someone Teach Me!

Maztamynd is a decent person

I've seen A-town Crash Cages mentioned alot but I cant find a site or any information on them. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Quick Reply: cages