Did I blow my clutch? Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 01:41 PM

Black03R1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did I blow my clutch? Please help!!

I took my bike out this afternoon for a quick warm up because I was going to be riding some more later and wanted to shake some rust off of myself.

Everything is going good, then after about 30 minutes I let a wheelie down, turn around to do another one and the bike doesnt wanna go anywhere. Felt like I was in neutral.

The bike ONLY moves on idle when its turned up. No matter what gear I put it in, it wont go anywhere with throttle, it just revs up. The wierd part is, if its in 1st or 2nd gear or whichever and just idling along, i can pull the brake in and stop it WITHOUT pulling the clutch in and in WONT stall out. When I let off the brake it just creeps along again on idle. WTF is going on?

Nothing out of the ordinary happened when I was riding. It just did this on its own

Last edited by Black03R1; 06-07-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: Did I blow my clutch? Please help!!

do you have play in your cable ? if the cable is too tight the clutch will slip and cause it to burn up prematurely
Old 06-07-2009, 01:55 PM

I just went outside to check it, the 10 min cool down helped. I put it in gear and it moved with gas. took it down the road and it starts slipping hard about half way into each gear. The lever doesnt have much play. the adjustments are turned all the way in. no matter what way i adjust them it doesnt seem to make much difference. Im just suprised this happened all at once like this and didnt start showing signs little by little..
Old 06-07-2009, 02:14 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

if you turn the adjuster either way and dont notice a difference, then you probably don't understand how to adjust the clutch

you need freeplay, where the lever can move freely WITHOUT pulling the clutch arm by the motor

if your clutch doesnt have freeplay, it's just like driving a car down the road with your foot halfway pressed on the clutch.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

JesseJacobs can only hope to improve

My GSXR did the same thing a while back... It did it out of nowhere as well and I had to replace the clutch plates... It was weird cause when I got into the plates, they weren't broken in one section, I would take off 1 and 1 would be broken then the next 2 would be fine then another would be broken, and so on... But yeah, sounds like you broke some clutch plates.... Sucks.. But it's a pretty easy fix, just make sure you put the plates in the right way... They rotate as you put em in....
Old 06-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Hate the smell of TPD

Dan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the roughDan_DGAF666 is a jewel in the rough

yea you might have broke a clutch plate or two, i broke about 4 out of 9 clutch plates on my yzf once, and the plates only had about 500 miles on them. DP clutch kits suck, ran barnett plates since i got a deal on them and never had that problem again
Old 06-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

oem plates and fibers are where its at

I've only had a few clutches apart, but never seen broke clutch plates/fibers

on a side note, 34k+ on my f4i's stock clutch
Old 06-07-2009, 03:06 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

my guess is broken clutch discs or the outer pressure plate could be cracked and taking spring tension off the plates. dont run it, take it apart. last October my basket exploded, I had broken plates and the flying debris cut the wire to my pulse generator which I thought was the problem because the bike just shut off. I also suggest taking the oil pan off and thoroughly cleaning it out, there are spots where debris can collect and wont drain out with the oil. to do this you need to unbolt the radiator, dont disconnect hoses, and then you need to unbolt the header. KROIL the hell out of the bolts and let them sit while you wrench on other areas of the bike. clean the oil pan with brake cleaner, diesel or kerosene... a little petrol if that is all you have, blow it out well with air and reinstall with yamabond/hondabond. you will have to scrape the gasket surfaces a little. This all would be the proper way to fix your problem and is cheap insurance that you don't develop a problem later so don't cry about it and just do it!

hope you get it all solved, good luck.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:09 PM

YSR hit the nail on the head!! Very well said brozif!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
Well that's good to hear!! Hope mine will match that!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

+1 stock clutch, they last the longest and you dont need a more grabby clutch... pointless! consider new clutch springs while you are in there, that will give you the most life out of your new clutch and inspect all parts well before putting back together such as your clutch basket!

torque spec for the center nut on the basket is 94 foot pounds
torque spec for the springs/pressure plate are 9 foot pounds for this you will need a torque wrench that goes down that low. If you reassemble and dont properly torque them, I hope you break them all off for being a retard!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:18 PM

LOL I guess I'm a retard cause I didn't use a torque wrench when I put mine back together :-/ never had a problem, but I was probably lucky and you should listen to the king up here cause you should definitely torque em to spec...
Old 06-07-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by JesseJacobs
LOL I guess I'm a retard cause I didn't use a torque wrench when I put mine back together :-/ never had a problem, but I was probably lucky and you should listen to the king up here cause you should definitely torque em to spec...
haha you are lucky

that aluminum basket is very easy to break, not such a problem on sport bieks where you almost never change the clutch
but on quads/dirt bikes where you change the clutch yearly, if you overtorque it a few time's you'll break the basket
Old 06-07-2009, 06:36 PM

Well looks like I'll be replacing the clutch then. I never did one on a street bike. Guess nows a good time to learn. I just wana get this over and done and back to business I barely get to ride the bike as it is.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:40 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

30k on my 06 636 stock clutch

good luck with the changing of the clutch

Last edited by DIRTYJEFF636s; 06-07-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Black03R1
Well looks like I'll be replacing the clutch then. I never did one on a street bike. Guess nows a good time to learn. I just wana get this over and done and back to business I barely get to ride the bike as it is.
it's easy as hell to do
Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM

stuntready87 is a decent person

I had the same problem w/ my Buell....but then again, its to be expected..lol.

One of the things that really sucked was that to adjust it, you have to remove the casing on the primary to adjust the clutch...why'd they have to make things so difficult??

But yea, hope you get it fixed soon. Happy riding..
Old 06-07-2009, 07:35 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Black03R1
dont worry about it being really hard. i had to swap the clutch on my 03 r6. it was cake...and that is coming from a guy who could kill himself just trying to turn a screw. im not at all mechanically inclined, and i had no problem. the only thing i would suggest is to try to find a walkthrough online. also, make sure you put the steels/fibers in there in the right order. for me, i went to www.tobefast.com to get my clutch. they sold the entire thing as a kit, and all i had to do was soak the fibers for about an hour. and the other thing is you might want to replace the springs like YSR said. i went with the ebc springs that are a bit stiffer than stock. the stealership had a half price sale on all things EBC. got a whole new set of springs for like 6 bucks
Old 06-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Well, I like hearing thats its an easy job. I'll post back up if I have any questions.

Time to poke around for a good deal on a stock clutch kit.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by black03r1
well, i like hearing thats its an easy job.

Quick Reply: Did I blow my clutch? Please help!!