my bike, its running too hot

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 AM

skoh will become famous soon enough
my bike, its running too hot

I toggled up a switch to keep the fan on at all times, checked the thermostat in boiling water . what next. it's contstantly over heating.. the engine was in a wreck and put into my new bike but looks minty and only has 4000k miles on it.. I can't think of what next to do. temps are 240ish . the only thing I can think of that I didn't do was use distilled water or maybe mixed the two fluids unevenly.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 AM
Administrators

WHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for repWHEELIE User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: my bike, its running too hot

water pump????
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by WHEELIE
water pump????
i dont think it is. bike only has 4000k miles on it and filled up my reservoir
Old 05-12-2009, 09:47 AM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

if the pump is not working the pressure will force coolant into the over flow. check the water puimp.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM

nofearultimate1 is a decent person

rin engine ice or water wetter
Old 05-12-2009, 01:08 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

might have air in the system
Old 05-12-2009, 01:18 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

yeah, I dont think its the pump.......... You probably didnt burp it well enough, I cant think of how the pump would be bad if the motor is in such great shape unless it was switched out on you before you got the motor.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old man roger
might have air in the system
+1

Even if you mixed the coolant bad (say too much antifreeze, or too much water) it shouldn't affect it THAT much
Also, only real benefit of distilled over tap water is distilled doens't have minerals and crap in it that can work to cause build up in your radiator (but that takes months/years)

Take your radiator cap off, and let the bike warm up to 200ish with the cap off, adding water as its needed
Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by Towlieee
+1

Even if you mixed the coolant bad (say too much antifreeze, or too much water) it shouldn't affect it THAT much
Also, only real benefit of distilled over tap water is distilled doens't have minerals and crap in it that can work to cause build up in your radiator (but that takes months/years)

Take your radiator cap off, and let the bike warm up to 200ish with the cap off, adding water as its needed

first i'd like to say thanks to towlie and omr and all the people helping me out here. I did do that however and all I got was a big mess on my floor.. really it was like the day I found out I was lactose intolerant. only everywhere
Old 05-13-2009, 03:12 AM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough

mix more water then coolant do it like 75% water 25% coolant. only thing anti-freez dose is keep it from freezing in the winter. straight water will cool the best just cant let it in over the winter it will ice up on ya....
Old 05-13-2009, 03:20 AM

BadassCBR1000RR is a decent person

Only problem w/ straight water is it boils quickly w/out any antifreeze. Antifreeze also raises the boiling point. 240 sounds way to high if water pump was working at all.... Wrecked motor, maybe somehow damaged the pump, coolant must not be circulating... Goodluck finding the problem
Old 05-13-2009, 03:34 AM

thanks guisze . i'll re do it and start from the water pump. thanks
Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadassCBR1000RR
Only problem w/ straight water is it boils quickly w/out any antifreeze. Antifreeze also raises the boiling point. 240 sounds way to high if water pump was working at all.... Wrecked motor, maybe somehow damaged the pump, coolant must not be circulating... Goodluck finding the problem
while antifreeze does raise the boiling point, it only raises it slightly.

The PRESSURE is what raises the boiling point the most.. Water at 15psi can hit 248f before boiling
Old 05-13-2009, 12:36 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts

if its not the water pump you could have something wrong with the coolant passages in the motor not alowing the water/coolant to flow evenly throughout the motor, meaning after you check the waterpump lol
Old 05-13-2009, 01:06 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i have seen fans stop pushing a lot of air once they get hot ..
Old 05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
houstons tard

white bandito is a decent person

put some run cool in it. that will fix it
Old 05-13-2009, 03:07 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

if you can't get temps down, buy a new radiator...i've had radiators in the past that i boiled over NONSTOP and the inside of the radiator got jacked up....couldn't ever get it to run cool, put a new radiator on and boom badda bing.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM
unemployment anonymous

wheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the rough

You could also try running the the bike without a thermostat it will eliminate the trapped air theories.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
control switcher

Dr_Rip_It will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wheelburns
You could also try running the the bike without a thermostat it will eliminate the trapped air theories.
but taking the thermostat out might be a quick fix. but something else larger might be wrong with the cooling system.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

JesseJacobs can only hope to improve

This thread has alot of good info.... Subscribed... Im trying to get a radiator repaired so this will come in handy....

-Jesse

Quick Reply: my bike, its running too hot