help removing r6 fork seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:21 PM

letsgon1 is a decent person
help removing r6 fork seals

hey guys im workin on a buddies 03 r6 ..im tryin to replace fork seals and need some advice..ive got everything apart forks off bike down to the clip that holds seal in ...shouldnt the sivler tube pull out off the other part??? plz help ..
Old 05-09-2009, 01:42 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light
Re: help removing r6 fork seals

You gotta remove the allen head bolt in the BOTTOM of the forks, to remove the cartridge inside

And once the clip is removed up by the seal, you just YANK the fork lower and upper from eachohter a couple times, and that pops the seal out.

btw this is in wrong section

edit: if this is your first fork job, make sure to inspect the bushings! If they are worn REPLACE them, or you are wasting your time, and your seals will blow out again quick.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:16 PM

letsgon1 is a decent person

thanks man .we got em done and no leaks !! oh and sorry bout incorrect post
Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 AM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

How did you install the new seals?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by YSRRider
How did you install the new seals?
IDK how he does it

but personally I use a piece of pvc, that is the cloest to fitting I can get

The current piece of pvc I have, fits inverted forks perfectly.. But for my f4i forks, I cut slits in the end of the pvc, and I use a hose clamp to squeeze the pvc together to fit the diameter of my forks
Old 05-10-2009, 12:39 AM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

Originally Posted by Towlieee
IDK how he does it

but personally I use a piece of pvc, that is the cloest to fitting I can get

The current piece of pvc I have, fits inverted forks perfectly.. But for my f4i forks, I cut slits in the end of the pvc, and I use a hose clamp to squeeze the pvc together to fit the diameter of my forks

thats basically what I did! I took a piece of 2"? PVC, cut it into 2 halvs, heated with a blow torch to get the right curve, sanded all edges down nicely and then zip tied it together around the forks.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by YSRRider
thats basically what I did! I took a piece of 2"? PVC, cut it into 2 halvs, heated with a blow torch to get the right curve, sanded all edges down nicely and then zip tied it together around the forks.
haha sounds like you spent more time then me

I only have ONe piece of pvc i've used for all fork seals
but I need to purchase a couple more, and melt/shape them for each type of forks

Mine have sharp edges and ****, but still do the job just fine. Any bike I replaced the bushings AND seals have already lasted well over 6 months
However my bike blew its first set of seals out in a month,due to BAD bushings.. Just replaced the bushings and seals again about 2 weeks ago, hope they last at LEAST a year.. If so I'll be happy!