Limited Approach Stoppies

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 03:44 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve
Limited Approach Stoppies

Hi. I'm really obsessed with stoppies. I don't know why. But i've been practicing limited approach and man is it fun. The progress really increases alot that way too. I have "heard" you should be able to double your approach. 150/300 club ya know? But my problem with that is all bikes vary. engine performance, sprocket ratios, tire pressure, brakes, road surface, and wind also vary with 2 same model bikes. My other thing I wanted to discuss is little tricks and teqniques that come into play. Like if you fry your clutch off the line and mash the gas all the way up until the marker you get alot more speed to work with, but at the cost of having to rush launching the stoppie and it can be unpredictable as well as make the tire wash out. But if you get off the gas 15 feet before the marker, then you can have a split second of time you need to get your body position ready and get slightly on the brakes to let the nose sink, and then launch it properly and it results in a much smoother and more controlled stoppie. Not really sure what my question is, just wanna discuss the **** out of limited approach stoppies and for some of the high rollers to chime in. Thanks.

Last edited by Danger_Dave; 05-03-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:05 PM

hyperryder is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Limited Approach Stoppies

I do the same thing. I shut the bike down about 15 feet before the line. I hate snatching a stoppie out of controll. Having that mental focus before you ****** it up helps allot. I figured I can make up for the loss of speed tward the end by going higher resulting in me floating further. I would rather flip at 20mph than right off the brake. That tecniq has worked for me allot.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:19 PM

da Liks is a decent person

i try and get as much speed as i can get and try to go as high as possible as fast as i dare.just not in 1 fast ,motion to bp. i'll snap it up high and then get that extra height about a second later. that way i can easily double my approach. and, being smoooooth on the brake, not going updownupdownupdown just to take a high stoppie picture like some folks do...
Old 05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

short approach i bang it up so fast i almost wet my self....lol long approach i take it a little easier
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM

wheelie_king is a decent person

Im starting to do limited approach also man its fun but also hard... My stoppies sucks so they never come up quick or go staright to BP i always get mad sometimes i wash out. But most of the time it kicks out to the left so i never get to see how far i can make it!

Can some of ya'll post some vids of you all practicing stoppies?
Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Gas'er!!

TEACH C6 will become famous soon enough

pinit till you ****** it, then grab so much brake that you coast for the first bit...maintain bp and you double your distance.

even the f800 can do it!

the faster you pick it up the less speed you scrub...it's all one motion really:coming off throttle and snapping it up
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM

Lyttals is a decent person

Hey wheelie king, if your having trouble with your bike drifting to the left you should grab a gpr stabilizer it will help alot that way you can adjust it to lower and lower settings as you get use to balancing it out.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Lit
I♥MyF4i.

Lit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to behold

I love stoppies, other than right now im stuck at home with a broken collar bone and rash from them. But every session i practice on distance, ill setup about a 150 foot approach. It ends up being the top of first gear at the pick up point, on a good launch i might hear two hits on the limiter. But ive learned if you let off the gas early to get your body adjusted and to ease on the brakes, your not going to go far. It even feels more dangerous to me that way. First off if you let off early your front end will unload and your probably wash the front tire out. Which sometimes ends up looping it out. Second your going to bring the bike up slower this way and your going to scrub off a ton of speed.
So im pretty much wide open throttle till the second im on the brake. Your going to shoot up alot faster this way and you will go further as long as you keep it high. Other than that ive learned its not how high you get its how smooth you are will determined the distance.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lyttals
Hey wheelie king, if your having trouble with your bike drifting to the left you should grab a gpr stabilizer it will help alot that way you can adjust it to lower and lower settings as you get use to balancing it out.
I have a scotts but no mounted on my bike yet im going to wait to put my DB's then install it i just dont know if its gonna fit with DB's.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
Squid Standers. Get Owned

CRA$H AZ is a decent person

i'm very interested in getting everyones opinions on this. all i'm doing is stoppies for a few months since i tore my acl and don't want to have to bail on a wheelie while it's still weak. stoppies feel safer to me

anyways i pull the clutch in about 10-15 feet before pick up too.....i like that time to get set up. to me it feels more controlled "bouncing" the back end up as opposed to using the fork dive from coming up straight off the throttle.

but i get alot of conflicting advice on this.

-grab a handful of brake as soon as you come off the throttle

-learn them in 2nd gear (less engine brake to slow you down in that 10-15 feet before you whip it up)

-do them in 1st gear.....use the fork dive to help bring it up

-some like it high NOW.....other's seem to float it up to bp slower

-compress the forks, then lock it up

-lock it up immediately

-learn short approach low speed first....getting it up high

-learn long approach with more speed.....its up for more time so you can learn to adjust height and steer

or does it all really just come down to personal preference and style? doing what you feel comfortable with?

my problem is even though it feels like its coming up high and fast i'm actually really low at the start of the stoppie and end up scrubbing most of my speed and donkey punch 90ing it at the end.

i have for the most part stopped the back end from stepping out on me most of the time.

btw stock front end, stock master, stock lines, stock fluid, galfer pads, pilot power. no dampner.

Last edited by CRA$H AZ; 05-03-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:21 PM
brabuhburbuh

im on a stock front end with steel lines and renthal ultra lows, no dampner. i have been taking measurements but lol i am not posting them cuz they are not double my approach distance and i am ashamed!
Old 05-03-2009, 09:36 PM
AuthorityStunts

KROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to beholdKROHNSTUNTS is a splendid one to behold

Its weird this thread was the first thing i read when i got back from the spot. I love stoppies. I just got a 636 again (switched from a 600rr) I put some nasty gearing on this thing that will kill you. I am struggling with figuring out the bike its my second day on it.. but stoppies feel great. Today was the first time i have tried to limit my approach. I can say that it really helped me progress fast today. I was using about 100ft approach today and was rolling about 100-110. I have rolled alot farther than that but im still getting used to the new bike. I could tell with a small approach it forces you to get to bp or close faster to still roll far. Im still plowing but im getting a little bp action somtimes lol
Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by CRA$H AZ
i'm very interested in getting everyones opinions on this. all i'm doing is stoppies for a few months since i tore my acl and don't want to have to bail on a wheelie while it's still weak. stoppies feel safer to me
Im in your boat also learning stoppies before wheelies well a little of both
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 PM

stevestunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyttals
idiot...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:04 PM

On the for real note. When you are just learnign stoppies. For get trying limited approach. If you can not even roll a controlled stoppied you will only kill your self trying to. You will have an easyer time learing how to hit bp from a longer approach lets say 300 foot. But honestly forget approach all together when you are just learning them. Just go out and practice gettign used to that sweet spot and how the bike needs to steer. Dont worrie about distance till you are 100% comfortable with the way it feels to be high up in the air on the front wheel.

When the tail is over your head you are at BP

IT IS MUCH EASYER TO LEARN AT FASTER SPEEDS THAN SLOWER SPEEDS!

Last edited by hyperryder; 05-03-2009 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by TEACH C6
pinit till you ****** it, then grab so much brake that you coast for the first bit..
Teach we all know you are not human
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 PM
Lit
I♥MyF4i.

Lit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to beholdLit is a splendid one to behold

I say if your just starting to learn stoppies, try a 100 foot approach. Get two cones, one at the pick-up point and the other at you stopped. Just keep pushing that cone. This way WHEN YOU FLIP you wont be going to fast and wont get hurt too bad. Plus dont worry about height just worry about your form, hieght and distance will come in time.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
brabuhburbuh

Originally Posted by hyperryder
On the for real note. When you are just learnign stoppies. For get trying limited approach. If you can not even roll a controlled stoppied you will only kill your self trying to. You will have an easyer time learing how to hit bp from a longer approach lets say 300 foot. But honestly forget approach all together when you are just learning them. Just go out and practice gettign used to that sweet spot and how the bike needs to steer. Dont worrie about distance till you are 100% comfortable with the way it feels to be high up in the air on the front wheel.

When the tail is over your head you are at BP

IT IS MUCH EASYER TO LEARN AT FASTER SPEEDS THAN SLOWER SPEEDS!
true true. but the way i see it if you are hitting it at the same approach everytime, and measure your distance you can lift it a bit higher each time and roll further and further. i can roll but i need to get better. ever since i had my gixxer i could roll straight and smooth with good body positioning but just not very far. and on this f4i i can do 180's and definitely roll, but need improvement big time. i've been putting in 5 hr sessions. on my fiddy im like a ballistic missle on the front wheel but on this f4i its way scarier. on the fiddy thats how i learned bp. me and my buddy set up soda cans as markers out back of the supermarket and would battle it out. i'd rather crash at 20mph than 50mph. but i see what you mean, by going whatever speed and not worrying about the approach or the rolling distance you can have plenty of momentum to play with and just focus on rolling a silky smooth stoppie. kinda a tough one there. bird in 1 hand 2 in the bush, cant have your cake and eat it too..... that sorta thing

Last edited by Danger_Dave; 05-03-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Danger_Dave
true true. but the way i see it if you are hitting it at the same approach everytime, and measure your distance you can lift it a bit higher each time and roll further and further. i can roll but i need to get better. ever since i had my gixxer i could roll straight and smooth with good body positioning but just not very far. and on this f4i i can do 180's and definitely roll, but need improvement big time. i've been putting in 5 hr sessions. on my fiddy im like a ballistic missle on the front wheel but on this f4i its way scarier. on the fiddy thats how i learned bp. me and my buddy set up soda cans as markers out back of the supermarket and would battle it out. i'd rather crash at 20mph than 50mph. but i see what you mean, by going whatever speed and not worrying about the approach or the rolling distance you can have plenty of momentum to play with and just focus on rolling a silky smooth stoppie. kinda a tough one there. bird in 1 hand 2 in the bush, cant have your cake and eat it too..... that sorta thing
Well **** if you can already roll good. Them its game on with the limited approach stoppies. That is when you know you are in the big leauge. 100 fot aproch rolling 300 is were its at
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 AM
www.GSENick.com

GSE Nick is a decent person

hand full of throttle then ****** the brake and pop it up high right from the start.

Quick Reply: Limited Approach Stoppies