Big Sprocket + Long Distance = ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:53 PM
The Jew!

A-BX will become famous soon enoughA-BX will become famous soon enough
Big Sprocket + Long Distance = ?

I had a question about riding for a long distance with a big sprocket. I have an 01 F4i with a 60 tooth sprocket. Most of my riding is done in the lot and on the streets, but I was wondering if, and how bad it is for the engine when you take a long ride on the highway for over 40 miles straight?

I'm going to be without a car for a few days and its 45 miles to work each way for me. I have never rode my bike for a long distance because its always been unnecessary and I always thought that the bigger sprocket is bad for the engine on long distances. I'm not a mechanic and don't know that much besides minor mechanical fixes i.e. brakes, oil change, minor sh*t etc so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:00 PM

chpsk8er630 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Big Sprocket + Long Distance = ?

It's fine. Ppl that are on a race track ride close to the rev limiter for long periods of time. I take my bike on long rides all the time when I have the chance to a couple hundred miles at a time. It's perfectly fine. That's what the bike is made to do.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
myspace.com/dustindstunts

secret weapon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by A-BX
I had a question about riding for a long distance with a big sprocket. I have an 01 F4i with a 60 tooth sprocket. Most of my riding is done in the lot and on the streets, but I was wondering if, and how bad it is for the engine when you take a long ride on the highway for over 40 miles straight?

I'm going to be without a car for a few days and its 45 miles to work each way for me. I have never rode my bike for a long distance because its always been unnecessary and I always thought that the bigger sprocket is bad for the engine on long distances. I'm not a mechanic and don't know that much besides minor mechanical fixes i.e. brakes, oil change, minor sh*t etc so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
i know someone blew a perfect f4i motor up like this.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:04 PM

5starstunta is a decent person

Just keep it in a high gear and don't revv it out past 7k
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

you will hate it
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scott3824
you will hate it
yep
Old 04-15-2009, 03:06 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future3824 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 5starstunta
Just keep it in a high gear and don't revv it out past 7k
really genius? +14 gearing and keep it under 7k huh, what is he suppose to do 50 mph on the highway?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM

ShaneGSXR21 is a decent person

I took a spur off the moment trip to the beach last year and said **** changin my sprockets.... I rode 6hrs with -1 +10, that was 6hrs averaging 10k+ rpm... bike took it like a champ, and i still do 2-3 hr rides with guys on twisites and **** like that all the time, holds up fine....

an oil starved wheelie is harder on ur **** than running a high rpm IMO
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM

ShaneGSXR21 is a decent person

Originally Posted by scott3824
you will hate it
+1, crank up the Ipod man its gonna drone like a ***** *****
Old 04-15-2009, 03:11 PM
The Jew!

I know I hate it when I only have to ride the highway for a little while to meet up with people to pratice and thats usually for 10 miles max. So I can only imagine how annoying its going to be for 40+ miles espically with my loud *** canister muffler.

I was just more curious with something like Secret Weapon said I dont want to blow my motor. Ill deal with the noise and other uncomforts, but not a blown engine that would ****** suck!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

I ride reguarly 150 miles one way with a 60t on my f4i

sits at around 9k rpm on hte highway, but not that different then 6.5k with stock gearing

It doesn't bother me.. then again my car also has super short gearing, redllines in 5th at 115mph, so it sits around 4k on the highway so I'm used to it

btw 34k miles on my f4i motor...

9k isn't going to blow your motor, your motor is designed to run at that. Racers keep their bike over 12k ENTIRE RACES

edit: I always wear my headphones though also on any long rides, wether its on a stock bike or a geared bike..
I got some sick earbuds that form to my ear, they act as ear plugs even with the mp3 player turned off

Last edited by Towlieee; 04-15-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:16 PM
5 star

tavis10r is an unknown quantity at this point

gotta 64 tooth on mine and just tried to ignore the wine...bike actually held up good for long distances..I am glad i didn't have the guages on, i really didn't want to know what rpm i was in.......f4i's have great motors, in my opinion..i just try n stay in a high gear at all times.. even when the speed limit say's 35 ....hope she holds for the bmore trip!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:20 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by secret weapon
i know someone blew a perfect f4i motor up like this.
did they?

Or did they not maintain it properly? REGULAR oil changes?
Old 04-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Tomball_D is an unknown quantity at this point

That sound is gonna drive you crazy, I'm sure you have the old sprocket and chain, why not swap it for a week.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by towlieee
did they?

Or did they not maintain it properly? Regular oil changes?
+1
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by MotoPhotoMan
That sound is gonna drive you crazy, I'm sure you have the old sprocket and chain, why not swap it for a week.
Honestly, on the highway, I hear wind noise WAY more then my motor

In town, its all motor noise.. Once I hit 85mph on the freeway, its just all wind noise, I hardly can even hear the motor purring
Old 04-15-2009, 03:35 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I got some sick earbuds that form to my ear, they act as ear plugs even with the mp3 player turned off
where did you get those buds and what kind are they?

if you can go to work by the way of back roads thats what i would do
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM
The Jew!

So mechanically anyone that has a big sprocket on thier bike should be fine on a long ride as long as they've taken care of it with regular oil changes etc (which I have), and dont red line it in 5th the whole ride? Besides that if your motor blows its just bad luck or the bike wasnt taken care of
Old 04-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Dat_Boi is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
I hardly can even hear the motor purring

My **** f**k'n screams. 7k 8k its scary loud. Muffler was cut wayyyyyy to short on mine.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:48 PM
J Blox

frayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura aboutfrayz has a spectacular aura about

i had an 01 f4i with a 60t. drove it from lakeland to tampa a couple times.

Quick Reply: Big Sprocket + Long Distance = ?