05 636 cam chain loose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts
05 636 cam chain loose?

I am about 99% sure that my cam chain is loose, I searched and found nothing sooo is the cam chain tensioner on an 05 636 adjustable or is it self adjusting? and how can I get at it to adjust it? is it right under the airbox cause my friend has a 929 erion and thats where his was. I just need some info before I start tearin anything apart. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

Re: 05 636 cam chain loose?

anyone?
Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by *trix*
I am about 99% sure that my cam chain is loose, I searched and found nothing sooo is the cam chain tensioner on an 05 636 adjustable or is it self adjusting? and how can I get at it to adjust it? is it right under the airbox cause my friend has a 929 erion and thats where his was. I just need some info before I start tearin anything apart. Thanks.
Get an ape manual cct. $50 on egay.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:31 AM

04cbr600rr is a decent person

what do you hear if you hear a rattle like a chain that what it is and you are goin to have to go to http://www.streetandcomp.com/ and order a manual cam chain tensinor and it is on the right side of the motor</p>

Last edited by 04cbr600rr; 03-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:33 AM

http://www.streetandcomp.com/
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

anyone else who didnt join a month ago besides for neal cause I just wanna know what the stock one is before I do anything
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by *trix*
anyone else who didnt join a month ago besides for neal cause I just wanna know what the stock one is before I do anything
Im not too good with Kawi's but from what I remember seeing on here, its the same as honda where its not adjustable. There is a way to make a short term adjustment tho but for the long term you should get the ape. I'll do a search and see if I can find what Im talking about for the adjustment.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM

if you hear a rattle on the right side of the motor then it is you cam chain bikes come with a automatic cam chain tensinor and when the start going out then the cam cahin starts to rattle that means you have to buy a aftermarket manual one and it will never go out when you start hearing the chain rattle then tighten it up
Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM
takingitbacktotheoldskool

RROCCO will become famous soon enoughRROCCO will become famous soon enough

i dunno bout the 05 but my 03 is on the right side under the tank if i remember correctly. im pretty sure its self adjusting on both bike though so youll wanna get an ape if its bugging you. im about to do mine, its just getting to damm loud. i used to be able to get it to tighten up by pinning it in first and second so maybe try that and see if it helps.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

It is self adjustable. The stock ones go all the time. Its the same part# as the 03/04 636's. I have owned several of them for 4 years now. I had a few go bad but replaced them with cheap stock ones I found.

The real fix is The ape manual one. The guy above me posted a link to streetncomp in troy NY. Order it from them and they next day ship everything.
Order it today before 12 noon and it will be at your door in 24 hours.

I never bought one of these because I am a slacker lol. But I should buy a few

And yea on the right side of motor under airbox. It is dark brown in color, has 2 8mm hex head bolts on both sides and a 12mm hex head bolt in the middle. Break the 12mm bolt loose first and back it out but not all the way(there is a pushrod and spring behind the bolt) after you back it out and relieve some tension from the chain you then can take the 2 smaller bolts out and remove the whole assembly.

DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER with the tensioner out. Your prolly smart enough to know that

Last edited by Greg Mcglynn; 03-18-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:49 AM
NealFoReal

Heres a good thread:

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/444...ight=cam+chain

There was a more detailed thread with the explanation of why rolling backwards works with adjusting it temporarily but i cant find it but post # 3 & 5

https://www.stuntlife.com/forums/2-s...ight=cam+chain
Old 03-18-2009, 10:57 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

Originally Posted by Greg Mcglynn
It is self adjustable. The stock ones go all the time. Its the same part# as the 03/04 636's. I have owned several of them for 4 years now. I had a few go bad but replaced them with cheap stock ones I found.

The real fix is The ape manual one. The guy above me posted a link to streetncomp in troy NY. Order it from them and they next day ship everything.
Order it today before 12 noon and it will be at your door in 24 hours.

I never bought one of these because I am a slacker lol. But I should buy a few

And yea on the right side of motor under airbox. It is dark brown in color, has 2 8mm hex head bolts on both sides and a 12mm hex head bolt in the middle. Break the 12mm bolt loose first and back it out but not all the way(there is a pushrod and spring behind the bolt) after you back it out and relieve some tension from the chain you then can take the 2 smaller bolts out and remove the whole assembly.

DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER with the tensioner out. Your prolly smart enough to know that
this is perfect thanks alot man and thanks neal for the insight I'm reading the other threads now
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 AM
NealFoReal

No diggy. I dont know what rolling your bike backwards does and why it works but apparently it does as a short term fix. I would definitely go with the ape tho.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
if it goes away when its warm its not your cct, its your valves which is normal for kawis. a cct noise is like when you free rev your engine to like 12k and as it drops in rpm between like 9k and 6k it will rattle/buzz. atleast thats how its been in my experience. i know those 07 zx6r's had some factory problems with their vavle covers or some **** so you might wanna research that. in any case if it is your cct you can try just tightening your stock one. the way to do that is this. theres 2 bolts on the cct. loosen them up like 2 turns real slowly but dont get crazy and listen for the click of the cct letting itself out a notch. once you hear the click then just tighten the bolts back up and it will have self adjusted itself. if that doesnt do the trick then go with an aftermarket one but alot of ppl have good luck with the self adjustment of the stock one.
this was in that other thread that neal posted, I'm posting it here for good reference for later when I get home

Last edited by *trix*; 03-18-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 AM
NealFoReal

Did you read the part about rolling your bike backwards?
Old 03-18-2009, 11:22 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
I would try that first before messing with the cct. Its easier and might work
Old 03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

yes I did
Old 03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

the reason a stock cct makes noise is because it has broken teeth and the spring inside the cct is trying to adjust it but the teeth that normally hold it in place are broke so it just rattles back and forth , loosening the stock cct and then tightening it back down will over adjust the chain and can damage the head ....if it rattles get an ape and forget about all the other crap
Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

I would try that first before messing with the cct. Its easier and might work
I dun think so cause when I mouse trapped the other day I heard the chain in the motor hit the cam gears when I restarted sooo its gotta be dumb loose
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 AM
NealFoReal

Originally Posted by old man roger
the reason a stock cct makes noise is because it has broken teeth and the spring inside the cct is trying to adjust it but the teeth that normally hold it in place are broke so it just rattles back and forth , loosening the stock cct and then tightening it back down will over adjust the chain and can damage the head ....if it rattles get an ape and forget about all the other crap
Word, thats what I think. $50 cheap investment and easy to put on.

Quick Reply: 05 636 cam chain loose?