05 636 cam chain loose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:30 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

*trix* is infamous around these parts*trix* is infamous around these parts
Re: 05 636 cam chain loose?

Originally Posted by old man roger
the reason a stock cct makes noise is because it has broken teeth and the spring inside the cct is trying to adjust it but the teeth that normally hold it in place are broke so it just rattles back and forth , loosening the stock cct and then tightening it back down will over adjust the chain and can damage the head ....if it rattles get an ape and forget about all the other crap

I'm gonna film it tomorrow night from a dead start and let you guys hear it to make an assumption on it. Then I will go from there and see what I should do.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:31 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by *trix*
I'm gonna film it tomorrow night from a dead start and let you guys hear it to make an assumption on it. Then I will go from there and see what I should do.
Oh no - more video blogs
Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM

Greg Mcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

trix if you buy it from streentncomp tell them you are a racer and you get 10% off anything.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

Originally Posted by OnEWhEeLNEAL
Oh no - more video blogs
thx
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

hard to tell from a clip but a cct usually will get crazy loud at a certain rpm..between 5 or 6 grand usually ..

the other symptom is like some one else already said if you rev the bike in neutral as the motor idles back down you will usually here what sounds like bb's in a can ..
Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM
NealFoReal

OnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for repOnEWhEeLNEAL User spends way too much time asking for rep

thx
Old 03-18-2009, 11:40 AM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

hard to tell from a clip but a cct usually will get crazy loud at a certain rpm..between 5 or 6 grand usually ..

the other symptom is like some one else already said if you rev the bike in neutral as the motor idles back down you will usually here what sounds like bb's in a can ..

it sounds like a grinding when I first start it and progressivly lightens but the sound is there . also if I mouse trap bad it sounds like the motor locks up and when I restart it sounds like the cam chain hits the cam gears
Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM

JvGSXR750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey man sorry to get off topic but is that the 05 zx6r or the zx6rr and how do you like it aside from the trouble you are having now ? I am thinking about getting a 2005 zx6rr but I have heard mixed reviews. thanks for any info you have.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:46 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

it sounds like a grinding when I first start it and progressivly lightens but the sound is there . also if I mouse trap bad it sounds like the motor locks up and when I restart it sounds like the cam chain hits the cam gears
when you first start the bike and you hear the noise does it make the noise at all rpm's like if you rev the bike up when you first start it does the noise match the rpm's ?

hard to explain what im asking but what i mean is imagine a card in the spokes of a bicycle , if you spin the tire faster the card will make the same clicking noise but the clicks are closer together as the tire spins faster...know what i mean ?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:11 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

when you first start the bike and you hear the noise does it make the noise at all rpm's like if you rev the bike up when you first start it does the noise match the rpm's ?

hard to explain what im asking but what i mean is imagine a card in the spokes of a bicycle , if you spin the tire faster the card will make the same clicking noise but the clicks are closer together as the tire spins faster...know what i mean ?
ok its not like that then its something else I presume.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
also known as OMR

ok its not like that then its something else I presume.
if it's like i discribe in my post above then that sounds like valve noise
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM
also known as OMR

sounds like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ it's more then likely a cct

sounds like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ then it's more then likely needs a valve adjustment
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
MERK STEP UGHHHHHH

sounds like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ it's more then likely a cct

sounds like this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ then it's more then likely needs a valve adjustment
I'll listen tomorrow night and make an assumption and then I'll still video tape it and let everyone here it cause I feel like an idiot right now

Last edited by *trix*; 03-18-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Stunt'n Is A Habit

Jstunna408 is a decent person

im in the same boat i need some help as well i have a zx6r 07 and my bike when i first start it.... It makes a noise near the cct then when it gets about 160 170 degrees it goes away does that sound like a cct problem. I did my valves already put a new cam chain on and still makes the noise until about 160 degrees does this sound like cct problem

This what someone else posted up just wanted to know does this sound right
(Sounds like the CCT or cam chain tensioner. It goes away when warm because everything expands and takes up the slack. Replace the stock cct with a manual one. Kawasaki make a manual but i cant say i like em very much i would go with an APE manual tensioner i'll try to find there site and most bike shops carry them. There really easy to do just remove the old tensioner hold down bolts and remove it, then install the manual one full loose until you have the mounting bolts tight. then use your thumb and index finger as tight as you can go with those two fingers set the locking nut and bam race ready lol. If you have a whining noise under acceleration your to tight but with that method you should be dead on with no tick or slop in the chain. Some people say you can have a cam gear spin when taking the old tensioner out. Thats your call i have done several on bikes and cars as well and thats never happened to me. APE click on Kawasaki scroll all the way down you will see the tensioner)
Old 03-18-2009, 12:55 PM
also known as OMR

i usually adjust mine when the bike is up to normal running temp and i back it out till it rattles then i tighten it down till the noise stops then i give it a rev or two just to see if it rattles and then i give it about a 1/16 th of a turn