EK screw type master link

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 04:55 AM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person
EK screw type master link

I found a link made by EK called a "screw type" master link. They cost about 10-15 bucks, but I think it is well worth it. its a pretty simple concept. here is a helluva write up on them.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/i...showarticle=31

now if you want to read why i went with them, its below, but you probably dont wanna waste your time with all that garbage

So after reading about a million threads on here arguing back and forth between clip and rivet type master links, I had decided to just go with a clip. Then the next day, I got to see a 600rr grenade in front of me because the clip on the chain fell off. I didnt feel like shelling out 100 bucks i dont have for a rivet tool, and i am too stupid to figure out how to safely do the rivet technique without the tool.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:09 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: EK screw type master link

i needed a master link other day, went to the dealership and all they had in stock was the "screw type"... i was sooo leary about putting it on my bike.

BUUUT since it was all they had in stock i put it on. I couldn't even ride my bike. It was in my head that it was not going to hold up. Took it off the next day and put a normal one on. It was pain to get off so im sure they're rated for alot but i just didn't trust it.

maybe on a normal "drive back and forth to work bike" but not a stuntbike.

i'll stick with clip or rivet type.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:49 AM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by StrictlyStunt
i needed a master link other day, went to the dealership and all they had in stock was the "screw type"... i was sooo leary about putting it on my bike.

BUUUT since it was all they had in stock i put it on. I couldn't even ride my bike. It was in my head that it was not going to hold up. Took it off the next day and put a normal one on. It was pain to get off so im sure they're rated for alot but i just didn't trust it.

+1 **** that
Old 03-17-2009, 08:16 AM
www.frontiercycle.com

Originally Posted by StrictlyStunt

eh...i think its durable enough. i decided to dick around with it and just shock it pretty hard. rolling at about 4k in 4th and dropped the clutch full throttle on the rev limiter and nothing broke. im gonna say it will be durable enough for anything i try doing.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

im sure it's just as strong as a regular one as long as it's all together but the part that worries me is what happens if those little orings that are holding it together dry rot and fall off ...

or am i misunderstanding ?

Last edited by old man roger; 03-17-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:45 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I wanna buy one just to test it out
Old 03-17-2009, 10:48 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

i thought the small orings held the plate on and i was like no way i would use that but i think there is a smaller nut you put on after you get it all together...

i just looked at the pictures and didn't read any thing ...lol
Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
www.frontiercycle.com

Originally Posted by old man roger
i thought the small orings held the plate on and i was like no way i would use that but i think there is a smaller nut you put on after you get it all together...

i just looked at the pictures and didn't read any thing ...lol
if you get some time later, go to te link i threw in there...the leftover threads that act as a groove for those o-rings are perfect for a 5/16th nut with 10-32 threads and some threadlock. as for the dry rotting, i dont see that as a problem. well...not if you take care of your chain and keep it lubed and all.

here is a dude with over 8000 on his, and it still looks fine

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24044

im gonna stick with the screw type til it ***** me over. easy as hell to install. dont have to worry about the clip popping off. even if one o-ring pops off, i still have the other o-ring. and i dont have to pay 100 bucks extra just for the tool to do the rivets because im retarded and cant figure out how to do it without the tool.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM

uponone270 is a decent person

were would i get one of these links??????????
Old 03-17-2009, 03:03 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

the screw types are just rivet masters that rivet them self via the screw

at first I though it was one you could take off... But nope its riveted on

If anything just go with riveted or go with clip style, thats my 2 cents
Old 03-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jebova2301
So after reading about a million threads on here arguing back and forth between clip and rivet type master links, I had decided to just go with a clip. Then the next day, I got to see a 600rr grenade in front of me because the clip on the chain fell off. I didnt feel like shelling out 100 bucks i dont have for a rivet tool, and i am too stupid to figure out how to safely do the rivet technique without the tool.
If a clip falls off in one day, you installed it improperly.

A rivet style master link is just as dangerous if not more dangerous when installed improperly...
Old 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
SLOPDIDDY

SLOPDIDDY will become famous soon enough

I think its a cool concept but that **** just looks cheezy to me. it would be great to throw in the bike somewhere for a spare though. just my
Old 03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

Originally Posted by uponone270
were would i get one of these links??????????
at a dealership or online...they stock em at the local dealership for 12 bucks.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by Towlieee
the screw types are just rivet masters that rivet them self via the screw

at first I though it was one you could take off... But nope its riveted on

If anything just go with riveted or go with clip style, thats my 2 cents
i thought the oring held it on , how does it rivet it self ?
Old 03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
www.tobefast.com

YogiR6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by old man roger
i thought the oring held it on , how does it rivet it self ?
The Screws Basically Press it on. Kinda like a Rivet type but different. Its a good concept but I have never had anything go wrong with a clip yet so... im sticking with it for now. Maybe next time I buy a chain I will check this out though. Looks really well designed so Im not to weary about it.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

this thing is crazy, i want 1 just to put in my toolbox

Name:  2007_1108adironacksmap0003.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  57.0 KB
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

I read the threads and looked closely at the pics and I still dont see what holds the plate on. The guy in that one thread bought some nuts to hold his on, but if they werent there i dont see anything.
Did you guys see how he was trying to pry it apart with a #1 flathead? He couldnt even pry the scabs off his dick with a screwdriver that small.

To do rivets, you dont need an expensive tool at all. Big C clamp ($5) and a nut to press the plate on, then 2 big hammers (one behind the chain) to mushroom the end of the pins.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:50 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by YogiR6
The Screws Basically Press it on. Kinda like a Rivet type but different. Its a good concept but I have never had anything go wrong with a clip yet so... im sticking with it for now. Maybe next time I buy a chain I will check this out though. Looks really well designed so Im not to weary about it.
so it's an interference fit not a rivet , i would not trust my life to an interference fit ...the little orings must be a back up and thats because they know the interference fit will fail eventually
Old 03-17-2009, 04:52 PM

brokenstunter is a decent person

Ok, let me chime in hear as I have been rocking these links on 2 different bike's. One bike has had well over 6 months use and I go to the lot 4-5 days a week for 4-5 hours a day if not more.
The other has maybe 3 months use and they have never given me a prob and I RIDE the **** outta my bike's.
OMR, what you do is put it all together then tighten the nuts and they crush the stud/threads into a mushroom head almost just like a rivet. Then all you have to do is sanp off the nuts as they break clean off from where they are tapered. I belive what gets mushroomed is the lower set of threads as it breaks off just above that when all is said and done.
I love these things, easy and fast. Kinda like death speed circs lol
Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM

MIKE_SR is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like stated above...its not different than a press on link. once the plate is pressed on, you break off the excess along with the nuts. Its just like a press on, but without the requirement of special tools.

Quick Reply: EK screw type master link