EK screw type master link

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: EK screw type master link

Originally Posted by brokenstunter
Ok, let me chime in hear as I have been rocking these links on 2 different bike's. One bike has had well over 6 months use and I go to the lot 4-5 days a week for 4-5 hours a day if not more.
The other has maybe 3 months use and they have never given me a prob and I RIDE the **** outta my bike's.
OMR, what you do is put it all together then tighten the nuts and they crush the stud/threads into a mushroom head almost just like a rivet. Then all you have to do is sanp off the nuts as they break clean off from where they are tapered. I belive what gets mushroomed is the lower set of threads as it breaks off just above that when all is said and done.
I love these things, easy and fast. Kinda like death speed circs lol
well that sounds a lot safer

what are the small set of orings in the picture for ?
Old 03-17-2009, 05:01 PM
unemployment anonymous

wheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the rough

so its basically a rivet type but uses the nuts to mushroom it out not the tool. seems like a good idea but then if you have to take the chain off then what?

ill stick with the clip on type
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM

MIKE_SR is an unknown quantity at this point

then you cut it off, just like a press on.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
unemployment anonymous

wheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the roughwheelburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by MIKE_SR
i figured that already lol it was more like a why is it superior to a clip on . . i like being able to change sprockets and add links
Old 03-17-2009, 05:08 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by MIKE_SR
thats what was thinking when i saw his post ..lol
Old 03-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

there is no "mushroom" about it. You use the screws provided to "press" the outside of the link on. And then you snap off the access thread. And put 2 little o-rings on.

I just couldn't trust it. Besides being pressed on there is nothing holding that outside link on. The 2 o-rings are there but they're not gonna stop **** when you dump the clutch to pull a wheelie.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:49 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old man roger
i thought the oring held it on , how does it rivet it self ?
I'm 95% sure it rivets itself, and the 'screw part' snaps off

I asked on cbrworld.net I think it was a while back, because I thought they were actual bolts you could remove, and they said it snapps the heads off and rivets them on
Old 03-17-2009, 09:14 PM

DeanD is a decent person

if you look at the pics in the second link he posted it does look like slightly mushrooms it, but for the extra cost **** it just use the clip style
Old 03-18-2009, 01:48 AM
"Keep Your F4i's IDIOTS"

50slut will become famous soon enough

ok now im confused, there is no way that the 2 nuts mushroom those last 2 threads down because they would snap off long before that due to the pressure it would take to do that, and WTF is the purpose of putting the 2 o-rings on the outside i still want 1 though
Old 03-18-2009, 02:08 AM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

I don't see Ek selling somthing that was not safe, but I think I will need to see 1 installed and used for a long *** time before I put 1 on any of my bikes...

And by long *** time I'm thinking life of the chain..
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 AM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

thats what was thinking when i saw his post ..lol
i just put one on my bike on friday. you put the x-rings on the inside like normal. then when you put the sideplate on, the threads stick out. you use the nuts on there, and just keep tightening them down one side at a time at about a sixth of a turn at a time, in which you are pressing the sideplate on. within like 3 minutes, you have both sides screwed on to the point of where you cant make it any tighter.at that point, undo the nuts. take your 2 mini o-rings, and slide them into the groove between those last two threads and the sideplate. that notch above the two threads is where you snap the long end off.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by jebova2301
i just put one on my bike on friday. you put the x-rings on the inside like normal. then when you put the sideplate on, the threads stick out. you use the nuts on there, and just keep tightening them down one side at a time at about a sixth of a turn at a time, in which you are pressing the sideplate on. within like 3 minutes, you have both sides screwed on to the point of where you cant make it any tighter.at that point, undo the nuts. take your 2 mini o-rings, and slide them into the groove between those last two threads and the sideplate. that notch above the two threads is where you snap the long end off.
thats what i thought when i saw the picture and if the interference fit was good enough to hold the link together then why do they have you put on the last two little orings ? <<< retorical question
Old 03-18-2009, 12:29 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

thats what i thought when i saw the picture and if the interference fit was good enough to hold the link together then why do they have you put on the last two little orings ? <<< retorical question
extra security? **** if i know. all i know is that its holding good on mine after a quick 250 miles. couple passes at 130+ and its still on there. im happy with it
Old 03-18-2009, 12:32 PM

Mr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud ofMr. Hooligan has much to be proud of

2nd ??? if an interference fit is good enough why do the clip-on links need the clip??? You press on the side plate on the clip-on ones with a tool then put on the clip to make sure the side plate don't fall off....Same basic install as the bolt on in practical trems...both side plates are pressed on but 1 uses a clip and 1 uses rubber O-rings....
Old 03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Life is a Risk so Live It

OnPoint is a decent person

Originally Posted by r6-hooligan
2nd ??? if an interference fit is good enough why do the clip-on links need the clip??? You press on the side plate on the clip-on ones with a tool then put on the clip to make sure the side plate don't fall off....Same basic install as the bolt on in practical trems...both side plates are pressed on but 1 uses a clip and 1 uses rubber O-rings....
True, but the screw type seems like it takes a lot more pressure to press the outer plate on therefore making that much less likely to fall off. Based on the guys extensive write up, he couldn't even pry it off and had to grind it and punch it like you would with a rivet style. With the clip type, you can remove the clip and remove the master link no problem.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

these links are a genius invention.....about time somebody made a decent master link!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:03 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by OnPoint
True, but the screw type seems like it takes a lot more pressure to press the outer plate on therefore making that much less likely to fall off. Based on the guys extensive write up, he couldn't even pry it off and had to grind it and punch it like you would with a rivet style. With the clip type, you can remove the clip and remove the master link no problem.
he was using a screw driver the size of a human hair and he was trying to take it off right after he put it on , i wonder how hard it would be to get off after riding it for a while ?

the little rubber orings make me think they know it wont stay pressed on
Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM

brokenstunter is a decent person

^that's what I thought^
when I had to take mine off I couldnt pry them off, had to grind the heads off
I dont know, they work great for me?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by brokenstunter
^that's what I thought^
when I had to take mine off I couldnt pry them off, had to grind the heads off
I dont know, they work great for me?
i like the concept but im just not feeling it ...lol
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 AM
Group Moderator

StrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for repStrictlyStunt User spends way too much time asking for rep

buy one, put it on yourself.

Guarantee you'll stand there for 10 mins just staring at it going "no way that's gonna ******* work"

i did!... i'll wait for someone to post real feedback about it.