F4i fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:55 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice
F4i fan not working

Thought there was a mechanic section but cant find it... oh well, I guess posting here will have to work.

last time I had my bike out in November I noticed it was running hot.... fan was mysteriously unplugged... plugged it in and its still not kicking on, fuse is good, what/where else do I check? I blew my clutch basket up in October and one of the pieces cut the wire to my pulse generator which was giving me and FI code, in the manual it mentions how to reset the ECU but since replacing all the parts the FI light is no longer on, do I still need to reset the ECU? Would that cause my fan to not go on?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:19 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: F4i fan not working

Originally Posted by YSRRider
Thought there was a mechanic section but cant find it... oh well, I guess posting here will have to work.

last time I had my bike out in November I noticed it was running hot.... fan was mysteriously unplugged... plugged it in and its still not kicking on, fuse is good, what/where else do I check? I blew my clutch basket up in October and one of the pieces cut the wire to my pulse generator which was giving me and FI code, in the manual it mentions how to reset the ECU but since replacing all the parts the FI light is no longer on, do I still need to reset the ECU? Would that cause my fan to not go on?
ground out your temp switch wire. if the fan turns on then its your temp switch
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 PM

Sikgixxer750 is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 on grounding the temp switch. Also check that you have enough coolant and no air in the system.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:06 PM

Big Float is a decent person

could be a long shot but ive seen a F4i get up to about 260 and it melted the center out of the plastic fan blade piece. so the fan motor would still kick on but it would turn the blade because the teeth on the piece were melted

i would grab one of the fan fins and shake it around, see if its moves around alot it could be melted
Old 03-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Not guilty

villa76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to beholdvilla76 is a splendid one to behold

It could be tweaked and not turning Ive had that happen on my gixxer a couple of washers and youre money.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
crunchy buckets!! oh ****

whitehendrix is a decent person

the ecu has nothing to do with the fan.. it's independant of that.

it's loop consists of power from the fuse to the temp switch, from the temp switch to the fan, then to gound.

jump the switch. that rules out the fan, ground, wires and fuse IF it turns on.

if not, check the wiring and fuse.

good luck!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:28 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

Interesting suggestions........... Thanks for all of them..... I'm going to try grounding out the switch first and see if that is the cause. The fan spins freely so I dont think its bad. do the switches commonly go bad? I will also check the coolant level.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM

I just had to replace the thermo switch on my f4i a few weeks ago. Before it went bad sometimes the fan would kick on at 225 and than other times it wouldn't work at all. Grounded out the fan and it would kick on. Replaced the switch and it has worked perfect since. Even added a toggle switch when putting the thermo switch on that allowed me to turn the fan on when ever I wanted. And if I didn't use the switch it would still come on as normal. Might be something you want to do while your replacing the switch.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:35 PM

if i recall correctly, it a positive feed to the fan thru the switch.

grounding the sensor will pop a fuse.
EDIT.. the more i think about it.. the more i think i'm wrong..

i could be wrong tho.. it's been a while.

don't have a manual here to look it up for sure.

just jump the 2 wires at the switch together.. fan on? switch bad

fan not on? motor or fuse is shot.

Last edited by whitehendrix; 03-05-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by whitehendrix
if i recall correctly, it a positive feed to the fan thru the switch.

grounding the sensor will pop a fuse.

I have grounded that black plug that plugs into the thermo switch to the frame a lot of times without it blowing a fuse. All you do is push the rubber back to expose the metal and touch the frame. The fan turns on and I never popped a switch use to do it at the lot when my bike temp would rise before I replaced the switch.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:41 PM

right on.. i am thinkin of somethin else.. everyone does something different.. no consistency!

sorry or the misinformation.

battery-->fuse-->fan-->switch-->ground
Old 03-05-2009, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Sikgixxer750
I just had to replace the thermo switch on my f4i a few weeks ago. Before it went bad sometimes the fan would kick on at 225 and than other times it wouldn't work at all. Grounded out the fan and it would kick on. Replaced the switch and it has worked perfect since. Even added a toggle switch when putting the thermo switch on that allowed me to turn the fan on when ever I wanted. And if I didn't use the switch it would still come on as normal. Might be something you want to do while your replacing the switch.
ATOWNCUSTOMS made me a dual fan radiator cage, I havent put it on yet. The second fan will be wired separate to a toggle switch for hot days in the parking lot and as a back-up for situations like this so I dont have to stop riding. I also want to try that engine ice coolant, I've heard good things. All last summer my bike was running 220+ in the parking lot.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 PM

jono mono is a decent person

post up pics of your dual fan radiator cage!!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:46 PM
HAVE U SEEN MY BANANA?

sol5269 is an unknown quantity at this point

ATOWNCUSTOMS made me a dual fan radiator cage, I havent put it on yet. The second fan will be wired separate to a toggle switch for hot days in the parking lot and as a back-up for situations like this so I dont have to stop riding. I also want to try that engine ice coolant, I've heard good things. All last summer my bike was running 220+ in the parking lot.
sweeet... i need to get one of those...
Old 03-06-2009, 02:07 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

220+ is fine, its a motor, it gets hot, and it runs

as long as your not getting over 235 your fine..

Also your fan should NOT come on tell 225-230
Old 03-06-2009, 02:13 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Towlieee
220+ is fine, its a motor, it gets hot, and it runs

as long as your not getting over 235 your fine..

Also your fan should NOT come on tell 225-230
my bike runs at 230 it runs so nice till the temp goes above 210 then i notice a power decrees big time in the low end.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:20 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
my bike runs at 230 it runs so nice till the temp goes above 210 then i notice a power decrees big time in the low end.
Then you need to fix whatever is wrong with your bike, dirty injectors, throttle bodies not synched, valves out of adjustment, spark plugs?

210 is operating temperature, it should run fine there..

edit: also do you run your fan on a switch?

If you don't, then your bike will ALWAYS run at 225+ on the parking lot...

If you run your fan always in the lot, as long as your just doing idle and stuff, you should stay around 200-215 (at least mine does).. Mine only gets hotter if I run it HARD

Last edited by Towlieee; 03-06-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:22 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

i would try some engine ice or something similar. might help
Old 03-07-2009, 10:45 PM

thats because you're a squid and you did the clean air mod all fucked up and didnt use the "T" like everyone else.

post some pics of the dual fan cage for sol5269
Old 03-07-2009, 11:00 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

thats because you're a squid and you did the clean air mod all fucked up and didnt use the "T" like everyone else.

post some pics of the dual fan cage for sol5269
shhhhhhut the **** up squid you need to keep **** like that to your self Did you get gas for the welder yet?????

Quick Reply: F4i fan not working