Vortex Gas Cap No check valve? wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 01:16 PM

undercvr_skank is a decent person
Vortex Gas Cap No check valve? wtf?

just got mine in today and theres no check valve for it to breathe. whats the deal. some have them and some dont...ill have to send it back now

Old 02-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Lot killer

bortner636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Vortex Gas Cap No check valve? wtf?

it dont matter if it does or not those valves suck mine has one but still builds up pressure and throughs my fi light if im really hammerin on it.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

what year bike?

how much u want for it

what color is it
Old 02-14-2009, 05:45 PM

undercvr_skank is a decent person

yeah. they say youre supposed to take that allen out. the ball. and the spring. then cut 2 coils off the spring cause its too stiff and wont relieve the pressure. whats going vortex. why do some have them and some dont.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by mike bee
it dont matter if it does or not those valves suck mine has one but still builds up pressure and throughs my fi light if im really hammerin on it.
just take out the set screw and the ball thingy and it will vent better ..

as far as some not having it that just doesn't make any sense at all , the cap has to vent , must hve been a **** up
Old 02-14-2009, 06:38 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

It really doesn't matter if there's a vent hole or not, IMO. I've gotten them with and w/out. The caps I've had w/ vent holes, I've had to JB weld the hole shut to PREVENT leaking(my current F4i cap). Its been JB welded for a year w/ no problems. My FZ1 cap came w/ out a vent, also. No problems there, either.......I'ld rock it.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:58 PM
FYF

motopsycho231 is a decent person

vortex sucks with those caps. mine had a vent and still built up pressure, I had to use a set of damn plyers to get the cap off if I was low on fuel. **** vortex caps, run a stockie!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM

murdercove is an unknown quantity at this point

the one on my 02 F4i dosNT have a vent either
and it never really builds pressure

my buddy just bought a knock off one on ebay for $35
and his doesNT have a vent either
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

why would it matter if your cap vented? bikes already have 2 hoses for venting( large for overflow and a small for vent). seems to me like they would be more than enough.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:01 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

Originally Posted by lee majors
why would it matter if your cap vented? bikes already have 2 hoses for venting( large for overflow and a small for vent). seems to me like they would be more than enough.
i was thinking along the same lines. if there is a hose for fuel to run out if i overfill it, couldnt vapors/pressure get out through there
Old 02-14-2009, 08:28 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

Originally Posted by mike bee
i'd say
Old 02-14-2009, 10:02 PM
hate practitioner

-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough-Nasty- is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by -Nasty-
what year bike?

how much u want for it

what color is it
Old 02-14-2009, 10:22 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by jebova2301
i was thinking along the same lines. if there is a hose for fuel to run out if i overfill it, couldnt vapors/pressure get out through there
the over flow tube on most bikes are connected to the well around the filler hole so if the cap doesn't allow the pressure to vent to the well then there is no vent and the tank will build pressure from the gas sloshing around
Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by old man roger
the over flow tube on most bikes are connected to the well around the filler hole so if the cap doesn't allow the pressure to vent to the well then there is no vent and the tank will build pressure from the gas sloshing around
i see, i shoulda known this. i feel like such a dumb ***..thanks rog
Old 02-14-2009, 10:34 PM
www.frontiercycle.com

jebova2301 is a decent person

alrght...that makes it about clear as mud. im gonna head back to the fridge tho. my friend smirnoff is callin
Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by jebova2301
alrght...that makes it about clear as mud. im gonna head back to the fridge tho. my friend smirnoff is callin
if you look at your tank with no cap on it you will see your filler hole and around the filler hole there is a well where the hole for the over flow is , if the filler hole is sealed from the well and the cap doesn't vent then the tank will build pressure ..
Old 02-14-2009, 10:40 PM
WWW.Sickinnovations.com

Suicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to beholdSuicidl is a splendid one to behold

if you look at your tank with no cap on it you will see your filler hole and around the filler hole there is a well where the hole for the over flow is , if the filler hole is sealed from the well and the cap doesn't vent then the tank will build pressure ..
mine builds pressure but it does not leak

so **** it
Old 02-14-2009, 10:45 PM

so when you say "pressure", you mean "vaccum"? in that case wouldn't it make it harder for the fuel pump to work?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:46 PM
also known as OMR

so when you say "pressure", you mean "vaccum"? in that case wouldn't it make it harder for the fuel pump to work?
no i mean pressure
Old 02-14-2009, 10:55 PM

i'm confused...but thats normal... so, if it wasn't venting what happens when you take the cap off. does air rush in or out.

Quick Reply: Vortex Gas Cap No check valve? wtf?