Need help with a gsx-r... anyone?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:50 PM

Insane J is an unknown quantity at this point
Need help with a gsx-r... anyone?!

A buddy of mine just bought the 08 gsxr600. He tryd to mod. the oil pickup, but still, the light comes on every once in a while. He also added a whole liter extra of oil, but still...

He says the engine is the same as the 06/07 models (don't know if that's true ) and he really wants to know how you guys solved this problem.

I hope someone can help him out so he'll be rocking his new love very soon
Old 02-08-2009, 07:01 PM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Need help with a gsx-r... anyone?!

idk about the rest of the engine but the oil pan and pickup are the same in 08 as they were with 06/07 and do not need a modifcation. i never seen the oil light come on on my friends 06 that i rode a bunch and he never had it come on either with just the stock amount of oil in it. maybe he fucked something up when he tried to mod the pickup
Old 02-08-2009, 07:42 PM

Trock740stuntn is a decent person

I wouldnt run any more oil than needed. i did the mod on 03 gsxr 600 and had the fuel injections lights flashing and then i had oil burning through my exaust on long woolies producing larges amount of smoke from the exaust eventually i just got pissed off and sold that POS
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 AM

so you normally don't need to do anything about the pick-up?!?!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
STOPPIN FLIPPIES

THE GRUNDISH is a decent person

From experience on my 05 GSXR 750, the oil pickup comes down like an elephant trunk to the front of the oil pan. During wheelies, coasters and whatever it obviously runs dry. After blowing up 1 motor I got my hands on a stuntex oil pick up and it was one of the best things ive done for the ol GSXR.... the old engine lasted about 6 redline coasters and my new motor ill do em all day long!!! SOO the point is, if his old pickup went to the front like mine then it was a neccasary mod. also I would run oil to the top of the sight glass and thats about it. I wouldnt go over that amount cause you start getting into other issues... is he sure its the oil light coming on?
Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM

whauburger is a decent person

06-07's didn't need the mod the pickup was located in the middle and you didn't really need extra oil either like sdf said. im not positive about the 08's but if it was fine and he tried to move it he could have fucked up something with a sensor.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:19 AM

yeah this is what's up, he told me about his problems more detailed yesterday...

The bike runs fine, but when it's starting to get hot and the fan starts blowing, the oil light is coming on and his gauges say "check" The oil light stays on untill he starts his bike again... Also, the bike is stuttering when the oil lights comes on, like it runs out of gas

anyone an idea if this is some sort of safety issue that suzuki invented?!
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 AM
SEAT SPREADER COMBOS

burnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Insane J
yeah this is what's up, he told me about his problems more detailed yesterday...

The bike runs fine, but when it's starting to get hot and the fan starts blowing, the oil light is coming on and his gauges say "check" The oil light stays on untill he starts his bike again... Also, the bike is stuttering when the oil lights comes on, like it runs out of gas

J did try taking the speedo off?

get a stuntex oil pick up, its a must for all Suzukis
Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 AM

sdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of lightsdfkillz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Trock740stuntn
I wouldnt run any more oil than needed. i did the mod on 03 gsxr 600 and had the fuel injections lights flashing and then i had oil burning through my exaust on long woolies producing larges amount of smoke from the exaust eventually i just got pissed off and sold that POS
ur fuel injection lights and smoke in the exhaust wouldnt ahve anything to do with your oil pick up. you had some other **** going on there. sounds more like the kleen air mod youre talking about.
so you normally don't need to do anything about the pick-up?!?!
not for the 06 and up models.

Originally Posted by THE GRUNDISH
From experience on my 05 GSXR 750, the oil pickup comes down like an elephant trunk to the front of the oil pan. During wheelies, coasters and whatever it obviously runs dry. After blowing up 1 motor I got my hands on a stuntex oil pick up and it was one of the best things ive done for the ol GSXR.... the old engine lasted about 6 redline coasters and my new motor ill do em all day long!!! SOO the point is, if his old pickup went to the front like mine then it was a neccasary mod. also I would run oil to the top of the sight glass and thats about it. I wouldnt go over that amount cause you start getting into other issues... is he sure its the oil light coming on?
the 04/05 gsxrs need the pickup because their pan and pickup are different. the pick up is pointed towards the front and the shape of the pan keeps the oil in the back of the pan away from the pickup. on the 06 and up models, the pan is shaped to keep the oil centered where the pickup is. i posted in a nother thread awhile back the pictures of the different pan/pickup setups and you can see it clearly. and honestly i had issues with my 04 750 but my friend has an 04 600 and has never had a problem and he runs the stock pick up. its wierd. but for runnin a pre 06 model its always a safe bet if u can get a stuntex pickup.

suzukis in general are junk but these newer models have all sorts of wierd ticks to them. my friend had issues with his FI light comming on for no reason. and the damn thing didnt like to clutch up in a wheelie at over 55mph no matter what gear it was in and still even after we geared it up 7 teeth. those bikes are just **** bikes for stunt riding. but he seriously might have screwed up something when he tried to mod the pickup. id put everything back to stock and see if it straightens out.

Originally Posted by burnoutnut
J did try taking the speedo off?

get a stuntex oil pick up, its a must for all Suzukis
no its not thats why they dont make them for the 06+ models cuz they dont need them.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 AM
SEAT SPREADER COMBOS

burnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sdfkillz
no its not thats why they dont make them for the 06+ models cuz they dont need them.
i thought he wrote 05 my bad
Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by burnoutnut
i thought he wrote 05 my bad
you are forgiven
Old 02-10-2009, 05:19 AM

so nobody has an idea what it might be
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 AM

so nobody has an idea what it might be
its starving for oil, a bike thats not getting oil will sputter out and its prob causing some damage too. he needs to open the pan up and put his pickup back to stock and maybe test his oil pump and make sure that its working correctly.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:35 AM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

sounds like he may be over heating ...wire the fan to run all the time and make sure the coolant level is good
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 AM

stuttering from over heating?! never heard of that one before... doesn't sounds like the problem but thnx
Old 02-10-2009, 03:35 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

stuttering from over heating?! never heard of that one before... doesn't sounds like the problem but thnx
absolutely over heating can make your bike sputter , it can cause detonation and power loss and if it over heats enough it can cause the head gasket to go bad or in a worse case scenario warp or crack the head on the motor ...

another way over heating can cause your bike to sputter besides detonation is if the cooling system builds up enough pressure small amounts of coolant can get passed the head gasket into the combustion chamber and since coolant doesn't burn it will make the bike run bad
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM
CLUTCH IT UP BRRAAPPP!

dstb40 is a decent person

ok.... heres my two cents note im no certefied mechanic or pro at ridin but ive done this to mine an had no problems....
1 dont run extra oil ur gonna blow seals an **** if anything run not half of the lookin glass but maybe 3/4 it should be fine thats all i run in my bike.
second the fi light is cuz a lil motor an switch that controls the valve on the bottom of the exhaust. tell him the valve that is at the bottom by his cat can be an should be taken off anyways. under the rear plastics where the passenger sits there is a motor take it out http://www.wfsb.yuku.com/topic/431 we'll make that easy read that. the fi light will go away the oil light should stop comin on. even if it comes on he should be ok because no oil pick up is needed an it wont go dry. if u ever seen a dallas stunt riders vid they also run their bikes stock wit the normal amount of oil an ride 10 min long wheelies an motor stays intact...
lol sorry to be long but try that if it works good if not then maybe he should jus reset his cpu maybe its a glitch????
Old 02-10-2009, 06:54 PM
CLUTCH IT UP BRRAAPPP!

dstb40 is a decent person

i jus realized that link youll need to make a s/n or it wont let u on jus make up a name an make a post in the about me section so u can view everything go to the bottom an look at maint/modifications youlls see 06/07 set valve removal go from there pics for step by step. itll give you more top end torque an horse
Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

09isMINE is a decent person

dude only help i can offer is... buy a honda

and if you are going to wheelie that piece at all, you ABSOLUTELY need an oil pickup. all you die hard gixxers fans that are gonna get all butt hurt over this maybe hold your tongue before you cry because i know what i'm talking about. seen it a few times, i will never own because of what i have seen a buddy go through. NOT ONLY THE FRAMES ARE GABBAAAAGE, the motors blow too (literally). the main bearings just burn right up.

this is to all the "fans" that are gonna reply (squids that do pow pow's and pop a stoppies on the finance pos your mom co-signed for).... i been around, get an oil pickup, might not be your problem in this matter but it will be a problem later, that is all
Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

09isMINE is a decent person

Originally Posted by Trock740stuntn
dude that is awesome, never seen anyone on here from my hometown before!! (actually i'm from zanesville) but lived on buckeye lake for 2 yrs before moving to florida, but how's is goin buddy

congrats on gettin rid of your pos, ur bike smoked cause your airbox was filling up with oil, it happens when you overfill it, only thing that can save one of them "big pigs" is to get a pickup