Gearing for 954

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2003, 03:45 PM

C.T. is an unknown quantity at this point
Gearing for 954

Just wondering what people are running on their 954's? I have stock gearing and it'll wheelie just fine, but curious if i maybe went 1 tooth bigger in the rear (44), if it would give the bike a little more torque and maybe require less bounce to bring it up in second. I've ridden a friends 02 GSXR 1000 and you just stand up and roll on the gas and it'll wheelie without bouncing it. I don't think i need to go smaller on the front sprocket because i don't need that much more torque. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2003, 03:48 PM

ftrain is a decent person
2 down in front and 9 up in the rear is the only way to rock the 954.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:00 PM

DLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to beholdDLISH is a splendid one to behold
STOCK= SMOOTH coasters!!!
Old 07-09-2003, 05:42 PM

I know it will come up easy if i clutch it, but i'm talking about just gas no clutch. Right now it will come up if i down shift into 2nd, bounce it and gas it. I want it to come up off of just gas with no bounce like my buddies GSXR 1000. You just roll on the gas and it comes up.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:55 PM

GixxerPete is an unknown quantity at this point
Add 20 HP to your 954, and it will come up like a GSXR 1000.
Old 07-09-2003, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the info, but that doesn't answer my question on the gearing, plus i like out breaking the gixer and r1 and having a better balanced bike.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:15 PM

bump
Old 07-11-2003, 05:40 PM
A Few Loose Screws - DVD

CRAZY DAN is a decent person
im up 16 in the rear

basicly down 2 up 10
Old 07-14-2003, 01:57 PM

How much will i sacrifice if i gear it 2 down in the front? How will this affect my 2nd gear wheelies? Right now i can bounce it at around 35-40 mph, and ride it around a 1/4 mile. When i set it down i'm going about 100mph in 2nd. I've been told that the higher up you get the bike the slower and longer you can ride the wheelie. My problem is that the bike always goes to the same spot, even if i have my left foot on the rear peg. It also seeme i have to chop the throttle alot to keep the bike up. I figured that lower gearing would require less throttle chop, and would automatically reduce the speed of my wheelies. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2003, 02:09 PM

954John is an unknown quantity at this point
I still have stock gearing on mine, but I also have so mods done. IE, Full system Micron, PowerCommanded PCIIIr, and a Matris dampner.

I'm no pro but I can 'bounce' up second and even third.

On the highway second will come up as slow as 25mph and I usually rock third at 50-55mph.

I can clutch second around 30mph.

I am usually going about 100-110 in third when I set down, but that is after about a mile.

Just my two cents.

Later,
954john
Old 07-14-2003, 02:43 PM
I Enjoy Posting At StuntLife!

RR_Rick is a decent person
wow now thats some gearing for a bike with some big nutts
Old 07-14-2003, 03:23 PM

Are you clutching third on the highway? I've tried bouncing it in third and it will not come up. Also in second are you clutching or bouncing? If i bounc e it on the highway at like 50-60 my wheelies run out of rpm fast. What are you doing differently?
Old 07-14-2003, 04:19 PM

ftrain is a decent person
Originally posted by AMSOIL dude
wow now thats some gearing for a bike with some big nutts
<----- I had so much gearing my 954 blew up
Old 07-14-2003, 04:33 PM

Can someone post a pic. of a stand-up wheelie on a 954, that was ridden far distance so i can see how high up the front of the bike should be? Right now on the freeway in 2nd my front end is about 3.5 ft off the ground. I.ve been told that the bike is not far enough back, but no matter what it always goes to that same spot when i lift it. What am i doing wrong that it isn't coming back farther? Same thing happens when i put my left foot on the rear peg. I currently have stock gearing.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by C.T.
Are you clutching third on the highway? I've tried bouncing it in third and it will not come up. Also in second are you clutching or bouncing? If i bounc e it on the highway at like 50-60 my wheelies run out of rpm fast. What are you doing differently?

I do not clutch on the highway, unless it is completely clear and I feel like splitting my legs; ie left leg on the rear peg.

In second, I try to be around 25-30 mph and I bounce twice and it comes up. The problem with second is that it tends to wind out really fast, meaning that it hit redline.

In third, I found that the best speed is 55-60 mph and again I bounce twice and bring it up to my chest.

If your unsure of the height, I recommend finding a spot to pratice. Once at the spot, do the second gear and the legs split thing. It feels weird but you can then see how high your going and you still have the rear brake covered. Once your comfortable with the height, the rest will come naturally.

Also, have you changed the suspension settings at all? Mine are still set at stock.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:36 PM

The only thing i did to the suspension was i put the rear shock collar on the stiffest setting thinking that would allow the bike to lift and come back faster, aside from that my bike is stock except for a yosh. slip on and a ohlins stabilizer. Also i would like to be able to keep the freeway wheelies at about a steady 65-70 mph.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:46 PM

The only thing i did to the suspension was i put the rear shock collar on the stiffest setting thinking that would allow the bike to lift and come back faster, aside from that my bike is stock except for a yosh. slip on and a ohlins stabilizer. Also i would like to be able to keep the freeway wheelies at about a steady 65-70 mph.
You are along the right path with the rear suspension, I have a buddy that rides a giggy 1 and he allow softened the front as well a tightening the rear.

To keep the wheelies steady, you are going to have to learn throttle control. Mine will stay steedy around 80 mph and then start to slowly accelerate to the 100-110 mark.

Good Luck and Be Safe,
954john

Any other questions, feel free to PM or email me.
Old 07-14-2003, 05:49 PM

Can someone post a pic. of a stand-up wheelie on a 954, that was ridden far distance so i can see how high up the front of the bike should be? Right now on the freeway in 2nd my front end is about 3.5 ft off the ground. I.ve been told that the bike is not far enough back, but no matter what it always goes to that same spot when i lift it. What am i doing wrong that it isn't coming back farther? Same thing happens when i put my left foot on the rear peg. I currently have stock gearing.

I am working on getting pics. Right now I do not have a source that will keep up with me to get a decent pic.

Quick Reply: Gearing for 954