klr650 motard conversion ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM

BON3Z is a decent person
klr650 motard conversion ???

Hi all i'm new to the stunting scene been riding bikes since i was a kid but never attempted stunting, well seriously at least.

I'm looking at a few different bikes a a starter platform but with real world useability(klr650,sv650,fz400,gsr600,ninja 250r)

I'm quite keen on taking a klr 650 and converting it to a motard as living in south africa we don't really have many cheap as chips bikes like you guys seem to have in the states etc. and its really cheap has decent torque and spares are not a problem (cheap and available everywhere over here) obviously i plan on improving the way the motor performs lighter fly wheel ,performance pipe and basic gearing,fuelling etc.
reason i'm posting this thread is to find out if anyone has done something tlike this and if anyone knows of any other problems i might encounter have heard that they spit oil out the airbox if held up for extended periods and that the forks are not up to scratch for endos/stoppies etc. will be upgrading the brakes so not really worried about the bite or feel that i can adjust if neccessary.

if anyone has a opinion about this idea i would be eager to hear it and any suggestions will help me make my final decision thanks for your time well anyone who actually read this essay i call a thread
Old 01-30-2009, 08:44 AM

dogger is a decent person
Re: klr650 motard conversion ???

it can be done however the honda xr650 (little lighter and more power and as reliable) in the platform of choice when it comes to jap bikes. it'll be a little harder to find part's for the kawi to convert to motard. if you can find a drz they make good motards as well they are very reliable but are not super powerful.
I personally ride a ktm 625 smc. I like the bike but they are more expensive however when you figure in the motard conversions on other bikes and what it would take to get the same hp I think I came out ahead.
if your looking for more info go over to supermotojunkie.com for the most part just about any bike you can think of has been motoarded just do a search and see what comes up. there are is a lot of good information to be had there.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 AM

da Liks is a decent person

get a suzuki drz!!
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 AM

BON3Z is a decent person

must admit i do like the dr-z 400sm is only bout R8000 more expensive, only problem is i need the bike to do a bit of distance work too the xr650 is a great bike used to have a old 1990 model on the farm but it is no longer available in this country and the dr650 is almost R20 000 more costly than the klr650 as for the ktm stunning motorcycle love ktm's all of them even the teeny weeny one's but god they are expensive over here same goes for spares hence why i sorta settled for the klr I know its a bit of a dog but all dogs bite right lol will be doing a lot of the engineering work etc myself and picking up a old set of wheels for it doesn't appear to be to expensive a exersise all considered add to that the fact that i can just bolt on the old wheels and tear up the dirttrack whenever the mood strikes makes it all the more appealing to do the conversion