Life in a Wheelchair....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 12:21 PM

Tony L can only hope to improve
Life in a Wheelchair....

I just started running these after a friend of mine who races supercross told me about this product thats mandatory for all riders in every race. Shock doctor a company dedicating all their research into improving safety in all motorsports has put out a cheap product that could make the difference weather you walk or spend the rest of the life in a wheelchair or worse, for $59.99 The Eject Emergency Helmet Removal System helps prevent further neck and spine injuries of crash victims. When any type of cervical spine injury is suspected, first responders can easily remove the helmet without causing further unwanted movement to the victim’s head or neck. The AMA (American Motorcycle Assoc.) and the IRL (Indy Racing League) now require it for all licensed professional riders and drivers to use this product at ever sanctioned event.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
The Eject helmet removal device is a small bladder (pictured) that sits inside your helmet. Following a crash the bladder is easily inflated by EMT/first responders by using a squeeze bulb or CO2 cartridge, lifting the helmet from your head reducing the risk of further aggravating any potential neck injury. This version comes complete with inflator bulb. make sure to check out this product and everything else at www.shockdoctor.com

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JBohCB_PtQ[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM
STUNTRIDE FRONTLINE

-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of-SKETCHY- has much to be proud of
Re: Life in a Wheelchair....

that looks sweet
Old 01-27-2009, 12:31 PM

John LegionST is a decent person

Nice find Tony!

Hey Thomas... something to think about, making this mandatory for XDL competitors next season. Work a deal out with Shock Doctor to make sure every competitor has or can afford one! although that is REALLY cheap to begin with
Old 01-27-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by John LegionST
Nice find Tony!

Hey Thomas... something to think about, making this mandatory for XDL competitors next season. Work a deal out with Shock Doctor to make sure every competitor has or can afford one! although that is REALLY cheap to begin with
Yeah i know they work pretty close with sx so i don't think there would be a problem making sure every rider has one and the EMT's have the pumps and are trained in the proper way to remove your helmet.... unfortunately in our industry wrecks happen twice and much and are normally twice as hard.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

looks cool, but I don't think it should be required in stunt riding personally..

What next? Requirment to wear a leatte brace? Then a requirement to wear a back protector, then a requirement to wear boots?
Old 01-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Valeska is a decent person

Originally Posted by Towlieee
looks cool, but I don't think it should be required in stunt riding personally..

What next? Requirment to wear a leatte brace? Then a requirement to wear a back protector, then a requirement to wear boots?
For professional competitions, YES.

Nobody is saying you have to have that stuff to go play in the lot or ride on the street.
But when competing in the large national events, YES, we do indeed have a minimum gear requirement to be allowed on track. Beyond personal safety & reducing event liability issues, we are expected to willingly contribute to setting a good example of wearing protective gear, and be smart about doing our part to help the sport-minded faction of us attain more professionalism, public acceptability & corporate support/sponsor backing for our sport.
You would push against that?
Please just stay off the track then, we have enough hurdles & obstacles to overcome as it is to deal with people who would rather undo the compromises & agreements we have made to help further the sport towards the level of others such as MX. I personally have NOTHING against a small, painless, unobtrusive device that would help keep me walking & riding, and has already been embraced by similar sports. Why shouldn't we step the eff up & close a little bit more of the gap between the level of our sport and theirs?

Last edited by Valeska; 01-27-2009 at 01:42 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by John LegionST
Nice find Tony!

yeah, def. in the stoppie comps
Old 01-27-2009, 02:35 PM

GAMstunts is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a good idea, but i dont think they should be mandatory. I did not know we had a sudden problems with neck injurys? As far as I know nobody has been paralized or had a serious neck injury that I know of (even tho im not a "super pro" ) I can see other requirements before that. Sounds like the biggest winner is shockdoctor with a $60 plastic bag. Is there any evidence that this thing even works? I mean lets not all jump onthe do-gooder train so quick. What if you inflate this thing and "IT" causes the spinal injury?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:38 PM
www.tobefast.com

YogiR6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by Valeska

Nobody is saying you have to have that stuff to go play in the lot or ride on the street.
But when competing in the large national events, YES, we do indeed have a minimum gear requirement to be allowed on track. Beyond personal safety & reducing event liability issues, we are expected to willingly contribute to setting a good example of wearing protective gear, and be smart about doing our part to help the sport-minded faction of us attain more professionalism, public acceptability & corporate support/sponsor backing for our sport.
Please just stay off the track then, we have enough hurdles & obstacles to overcome as it is to deal with people who would rather undo the compromises & agreements we have made to help further the sport towards the level of others such as MX. I personally have NOTHING against a small, painless, unobtrusive device that would help keep me walking & riding, and has already been embraced by similar sports. Why shouldn't we step the eff up & close a little bit more of the gap between the level of our sport and theirs?
good Post
Old 01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
www.tobefast.com

YogiR6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by GAMstunts
Its a good idea, but i dont think they should be mandatory. I did not know we had a sudden problems with neck injurys? As far as I know nobody has been paralized or had a serious neck injury that I know of (even tho im not a "super pro" ) I can see other requirements before that. Sounds like the biggest winner is shockdoctor with a $60 plastic bag. Is there any evidence that this thing even works? I mean lets not all jump onthe do-gooder train so quick. What if you inflate this thing and "IT" causes the spinal injury?

Like the add says. it is endorsed my many major morotsports already. Why would they endorse and REQUIRE it if it was unnecessary. this is a good idea, as shown there is little neck movement when the helmet is removed. also I have a very close friend that is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life due to riding motorcycles. you also have to remember that this sport is also very young at this level. anything can happen.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:43 PM

Raider9170 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea it might be a bit of overkill on the street because what are the odds that a normal EMT knows what that tube is for and has the stuff to use it????

As far as making it a mandatory addition in like XDL, absolutely. It's like $50 that guarantees someones safety and the longevity of the event...
Old 01-27-2009, 02:50 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Yes exactly. And I too was wondering how EMT's would know about the device, I wonder if the company has a label for the equipped helmet?
Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM

T'RIC'KY will become famous soon enough

you bring it on point, good post!

...and a good product of course
Old 01-27-2009, 03:04 PM

EmoSlayer47 is a decent person

Great post, I just recently got approval to stunt in a controlled area (military, motorcycle deaths is a huge issue) but I have to still sell the Idea to the base commander to get approved to stunt on base, the main thing I was advised to show in my presentation was the safety precautions I'm taking, this will help.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Squid Supreme

stick1300 will become famous soon enough

I'd rock it for sure. I'm all about being able to walk

Last edited by stick1300; 01-27-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM
WWW.IDOLRIDERS.COM

MikeOnTheBike is an unknown quantity at this point

great post. I agree
Old 01-27-2009, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by GAMstunts
If you've been around either the xdl or stunt wars events... there is almost always a catastrophic wreck. people are constantly wadded up. i'll take my chance and help the od's out by wearing one of these in my helmet... 50.00 towards my future or 500,000 in physical therapy. DR. Augistine who is the action sports medicine doc for Xgames, dew tour, and most of the super-crosses has been using this product for a few years now... the proof is in the fact more riders are still riding and not seriously injured. commons sense say's if you have a severe injury and they need to work on you fast they need to get your helmet off and you stabilized as quick as possible.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnZrm6jQp90[/YOUTUBE]

Yes exactly. And I too was wondering how EMT's would know about the device, I wonder if the company has a label for the equipped helmet?
yeah it comes with 2 logo's plus the cap is blue...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM

VerticalLimits is a decent person

So based off the demo in the video, it would be wise for the events to have these on hand for those who choose not to wear/purschase them and not make it madantory for the riders?

Pretty cool though!

Last edited by VerticalLimits; 01-27-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Cool. Thanks for the great find Tony!! I hope because of this we see something good happen as a result, and it will be thanks to you! =)
And thank you to everyone complimenting my post, much appreciated! *bow* lol
Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Roadrash = Exfoliating

Hey I wonder if any event insurance would offer a discount for this product being mandatory? Just as auto ins discounts for airbags, etc..
It would be great to have this carried by more motorcycle shops too!

Quick Reply: Life in a Wheelchair....