Custom paint jobs...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM

mroneeyedboh is a decent person
Custom paint jobs...

I was getting my plastics ready for the coming spring, and I have already done all the prep work up to the first coat of paint. I did the wetsand on the primer etc.

I was thinking about doing a two tone paint job, and I was wondering if anyone have any tips on doing it. I'm going to be using spray bombs as I dont have access to a paint booth/supplies anymore. But from the looks of it, Dupli-Color makes decent results.

I'm not 100% sure on what kinda of paintjob I want but Im thinking black first and then maybe some lime green circles here and there?... Again not sure. Any ideas would be cool.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:57 PM

wyostunta is a decent person
Re: Custom paint jobs...

not sure if its 3m but theres like a sticky paper u can apply then dra what u want wher u want and then cut it out very carefully so its basically taped off already and spray
Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by mroneeyedboh
I was getting my plastics ready for the coming spring, and I have already done all the prep work up to the first coat of paint. I did the wetsand on the primer etc.

I was thinking about doing a two tone paint job, and I was wondering if anyone have any tips on doing it. I'm going to be using spray bombs as I dont have access to a paint booth/supplies anymore. But from the looks of it, Dupli-Color makes decent results.

I'm not 100% sure on what kinda of paintjob I want but Im thinking black first and then maybe some lime green circles here and there?... Again not sure. Any ideas would be cool.
1. if you have already laid down paint, when laying out/masking off graphics "lint" your tape. this means before applying the tape to the part to be painted, stick the tape to your shirt/pants (anything with lint) and then apply it. this takes away some of the tackiness of the tape, which keeps it from pulling your first coat of paint up when removing it.

2. usually, darker colors cover better (with the exception of black, black tends to be a transparent color), so lay down your lighter colors first because it will take less material to cover, giving you less chances to mess up.

3. its your bike, you have to look at it in your garage, look at it while you ride, etc, so do what you like.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by wyostunta
not sure if its 3m but theres like a sticky paper u can apply then dra what u want wher u want and then cut it out very carefully so its basically taped off already and spray

the only thing with masking film is you have to be careful not to cut through to the paint.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p..._mmc=undefined
Old 01-18-2009, 08:23 PM

mroneeyedboh is a decent person

Alpha thanks... so say I was to make a all black base coat and then go with lime green circles over the black.. what and how would you do that? as far as applying what colors first and using the masking technique.