Stunt parts inventions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 AM
AZ's Finest!

*Tanus* will become famous soon enough
Re: Stunt parts inventions?

Originally Posted by R6 dude
I have looked into getting a larger rotor on the rear. The pad dose not make full contact on the rotor there is not enough room. mine is clocked a little so it clears the wheel hub. It was not difficult to make a bracket to hold the 4 piston on my r6.
looks like it only grabs like half the rotor the stock caliper would probably work better
Old 01-20-2009, 03:30 AM

R6 dude is a decent person

I like the way it works just got to cut alittle off the pad. Theres just no room on the r6 wheel a little larger rotor would fix the issue
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 AM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by R6 dude
I like the way it works just got to cut alittle off the pad. Theres just no room on the r6 wheel a little larger rotor would fix the issue
when i get some time im goan dabble with some of this and see what i can come up with
Old 01-20-2009, 09:59 AM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Im trying something new as far as rear calipers on my 09 ZX6R....

Brembo 2 piston caliper, with a floating rear rotor, and a 13mm Magura master.... It looks the ******* part thats for sure, but I'll let you guys know how it actually works...
Name:  IMG_0664.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  83.4 KB
Old 01-20-2009, 10:01 AM
Thread Killer!!!

THORPE is a decent person

Found this on radial calipers:

Radially mounted brake calipers ("radial brakes") seem to be The Next Big Thing. Coming (eventually) to a showroom near you. Kawasaki's redesigned ZX-6R and RR models and Suzuki's King Kong GSX-R1000 will be sporting radial brakes for 2003.

Why radial brakes? Aren't the ones we have good enough? Is this a marketing gimmick? All are good questions . . . and there are probably more than a few of you who are asking other questions about radial brakes that I haven't thought of. Let's talk about the basics.

A radially mounted caliper is stiffer, and is better at maintaining alignment with the rotor. This means the pads stay in alignment better, making better contact with the rotor and exerting less lateral force on the rotor while generating less heat for a given pad pressure.

With traditional caliper mount points on the trailing end of the caliper, pad pressure at the leading edge of the caliper has considerable leverage to misalign the caliper in relation to the rotor. Radial mounting takes care of that. Putting a mount at both the leading and trailing end of the caliper, leverage at the leading edge of the pads is reduced to a level that it becomes insignificant.

Increased caliper stiffness can be achieved without radial mounting, but the costs can be high. Materials like high-tensile billet aluminum, magnesium, etc., can be used. Manufacturing processes, like CNC machining one piece calipers. Design details, such as adding a 'bridge' over the gap where the pads are inserted, as Brembo has done. All are effective, and in the racing world where cost is no object, these design and manufacturing elements are combined to maximum effectiveness, which may partly explain why Honda's AMA and WSB spec RC51s still use the traditional mounting method (though the MotoGP Honda uses radial mount calipers).

I recently read the opinion of an individual (one in the brake retailing business) that a street rider would not be able to appreciate the increased performance of radial brakes, saying the finer points of caliper stiffness would be lost on the street rider. Huh?! How can this person summarily dismiss the entire street riding public as being unable to appreciate the improved performance of radially mounted brakes?

The brakes we have are good enough, I suppose, since they get the job done, but the new ones are better. Applying the "average Joe can't tell the difference" logic would have halted motorcycle development long ago, and, moreover, radial brakes will make a difference for the average Joe.

For the price-conscious street-riding public, trickle-down race technology must be affordable, and so while street bike calipers will not be made stiffer via machined billet aluminum or magnesium (too costly), they are going to be stiffer due to more efficient, radial mounting. They will also employ another trick - for each caliper piston, there will be a separate brake pad. This means that there are four, instead of two, leading edges on the pads (of a four-piston caliper), creating more/better initial bite, and since each piston has its own pad, the need for differentially sized pistons to equalize pad wear on a "long" pad is eliminated, and power is increased.

So effective is this new design, Kawasaki saw fit to reduce rotor diameter to 280mm on the 2003 ZX-6R, down from 300mm on the '02 ZX-6R. Doing so reduces gyroscopic effect away from the axle centerline, reducing steering effort. Concerns about thermal capacity and warpage due to excessive heat are addressed with 1mm thicker rotors on the '03. In this day and age of 330mm rotors, making rotors smaller had better have more than marketing gimmickry behind it. As you have read from our Spanish counterparts, the brakes of the new middleweight from Kawasaki have already elicited excited comment from them, and the Japanese testers as well, so the performance is discernable and reality-based. Even average Joe on the street can benefit from this reduced turn-in effort, added power, and increased control (even though his knee won't end up on the pavement mid-corner) and, heck, it will be a lot easier to clean the front wheel with those small rotors.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM

h_lowder636 is a decent person

as far as "poor man subcage" what do you guys think would be a fair, suitable price for a bolt on system? or possibly send me your brackets, mod them, ship it back??? wats your opinion?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM

lee majors is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h_lowder636
as far as "poor man subcage" what do you guys think would be a fair, suitable price for a bolt on system? or possibly send me your brackets, mod them, ship it back??? wats your opinion?

omr already makes a good one for a reasonable price
Old 01-20-2009, 11:35 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

im probably gona make the bolt up setup for 95$ plus shipping
Old 01-20-2009, 11:44 PM

12oclocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
hay thanks man how is that foot bar workin out for you?? i got a 4 stroke Yamaha in my garage that needs a sub frame i think im gona make him a foot bar like yours as well
the footbar is sweeeet!
Old 01-20-2009, 11:50 PM
Thread Killer!!!

And it will be the new Hotness!!!!!!!

Good luck with it bro

Getting my '00 ZX6 back tommorow, won;t be much of a bike compared to the last ones but I think it will be pimpin some Atown Customs
Old 01-20-2009, 11:54 PM

2007r6 is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Im trying something new as far as rear calipers on my 09 ZX6R....

Brembo 2 piston caliper, with a floating rear rotor, and a 13mm Magura master.... It looks the ******* part thats for sure, but I'll let you guys know how it actually works...

looks ******* sweet and i dig the green chain i wantone for my bike in 525
Old 01-20-2009, 11:59 PM

Miltown is an unknown quantity at this point

I gotta see AJ's first ,but I def would be interested in one.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:03 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by *Tanus*
I had it like that but didnt like it, now its set just like front brake on most bikes,with a long line to 1 caliper(with a double banjo)and a short line from that caliper to the 2nd one
same concept.

now that sounds reasonable.

im probably gonna hop back on the stuntbike here shortly, i will be hitting you up sometime this week.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM
www.EndlessMoto.com

EndlessMoto is a decent person

Originally Posted by Miltown
I gotta see AJ's first ,but I def would be interested in one.
Hopefully my bike will be done by next weekend Jesse; I've got quite a few guys that want to see it as soon as I get it back to Milwaukee so I'll give you a call too.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:05 AM
bp chaser

MikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for repMikeM User spends way too much time asking for rep

You cant make anything decent for much less than omr does
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
What happened to my blox?

stock05 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by MikeM
You cant make anything decent for much less than omr does

atown's work is more than decent, he not making a living from it like omer.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Thread Killer!!!

Originally Posted by Alpha Chino
atown's work is more than decent, he not making a living from it like omer.
+1 !

The stay he made for me is a beast and was cheaper & stronger that anything out there.

Plus I'll put my PE stamp on that poorman setup any day
Old 01-21-2009, 12:15 AM

xxshiftrxx is a decent person

i personally would LOVE to see a durable brake master res cup. i actually used a stock f4 front master and sealed the outlet, took the lever off, mounted it in the center of the db bars and drilled and tapped two barbbed fittings one for each master.....works greaaaaat. I also fabbed a bracket like r6 with a stock f4 front caliper (4 piston) and make it fit, contacts roughly 85% of the pads, works tiiiittts as well. I also made a longer clutch release arm for a suppppa easy pull, all good ideas for production parts. its a 98 ninja zx6r btw, with every ******* mod you can think of accept the circle training wheels.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bike4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	219441   Click image for larger version

Name:	2dhxvsk.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	219442   Click image for larger version

Name:	erbecx.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	219443   Click image for larger version

Name:	zkhcax.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	219444  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Thread Killer!!!

Originally Posted by xxshiftrxx
i personally would LOVE to see a durable brake master res cup. i actually used a stock f4 front master and sealed the outlet, took the lever off, mounted it in the center of the db bars and drilled and tapped two barbbed fittings one for each master.....works greaaaaat. I also fabbed a bracket like r6 with a stock f4 front caliper (4 piston) and make it fit, contacts roughly 85% of the pads, works tiiiittts as well. I also made a longer clutch release arm for a suppppa easy pull, all good ideas for production parts. its a 98 ninja zx6r btw, with every ******* mod you can think of accept the circle training wheels.......
How does the foot brake feel on that 4 piston?
Old 01-21-2009, 12:22 AM

xxshiftrxx is a decent person

touchy, i really dont play much with the footbrake but i have a cbr 1000rr handbrake rean inline with the footy, and i USED to need two finger a some serious pull to lock it up, i can to a one finger easy lockup without even warming the brakes up!........

Quick Reply: Stunt parts inventions?