Powder Coating/Painting frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM

BIG BOZE is a decent person
Powder Coating/Painting frame?

Was going to Powder coat my 03 GSXR frame but it has a small hairline crack that happened years ago and never got any bigger since. Not worried about breaking or getting bigger but im thinking if i Powder Coat it the high heat of the process might make it worse. ????
Anyone have any good advise on painting a frame/swingarm instead?
Anyone have luck with it holding up over time?
Wanting to do it all FLAT BLACK.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Naarden Bike Super Store

NAARDEN INC is a decent person
Re: Powder Coating/Painting frame?

The problem if you powdercoat it and it starts to chip you cant powder coat over again without removing all of it, but paint you could skimp and feather in if you wanted, id go paint on this one.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

...it wont make it better!

if you are gonna leave the crack, then rattle can it because theres no sense in putting money or time of powdercoating into a frame that will eventually snap!

but if your gonna be smart.. and get the frame repaired. haha. then have a good welder repair the frame and properly heat treat it. most people dont heat treat and then you have a soft frame that is just as bad as a cracked one. powdercoating alone wont weakn a frame enough to make a diffrence, but why waste money on a cracked frame ya know... cause we all know them gixxer frames are weak like stock05s mom
Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 AM

krazykyle85 is a decent person

Originally Posted by NAARDEN INC
The problem if you powdercoat it and it starts to chip you cant powder coat over again without removing all of it, but paint you could skimp and feather in if you wanted, id go paint on this one.

hahaha hmmm worry about powdercoat chipping or frame cracking
hahaha weld that **** son
Old 11-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by krazykyle85
...it wont make it better!

if you are gonna leave the crack, then rattle can it because theres no sense in putting money or time of powdercoating into a frame that will eventually snap!

but if your gonna be smart.. and get the frame repaired. haha. then have a good welder repair the frame and properly heat treat it. most people dont heat treat and then you have a soft frame that is just as bad as a cracked one. powdercoating alone wont weakn a frame enough to make a diffrence, but why waste money on a cracked frame ya know... cause we all know them gixxer frames are weak like stock05s mom
i know those frames are weak and prone to cracks but havent heard of a proper repair technique. thought about having it welded but figured it would weaken the frame.
Thanks for the advise on getting it Heat Treated. Ill look into that.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Embrace the Hate

EZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to beholdEZEC is a splendid one to behold

If you want to flat black just rattle can it.

Mine is all paint.....it really is the prep work....plus if you get tired of it you can repaint it....try repowder coating its not fun.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:25 PM

punishmentcycle is a decent person

listen,get the frame welded by someone who knows what they are doing.like a really good tig welder.then bring it in and have them powder coat it.it gets sand blasted anyways so you wont even see the weld if the coaters are good.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Kelm
+1

get it powdercoated.

NICE bike! i woulda went with platinum silver plastics though.. very gangster regardless
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 PM

couple of my old rides all powdered out
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	l_59ac0e39dd7b4d4dd7bf049044d11d8e.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	216532   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_634561ecd5b070b1c61c32cd15ba346c.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	216533   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_e7c5a16f2c5c7ded06f9b63f2165bd0b.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	216534   Click image for larger version

Name:	l_f2a352010069d272cc83c07b4572d907.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	216535  
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Talk to ysrrider on hear he has his own powder coating shop he will give you the run down on this. As for what i think I would have it welded and wile you are at it have the welder reinforce the frame on both sides to prevent it from happining again.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:37 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

get it tig welded and it should be fine... make sure its someone that knows what they are doing.

as far as the powder coating.... you can re-coat over powder coating, there are a few methods of doing this. personally, I would get some paint stripper from Menards, the stuff that removes up to 5 layers of paint. it works well on powder coating, strip the powder, power wash the frame and have it media blasted ASAP I suggest 80 mesh or finer aluminum oxide at no more than 60PSI in a blast room. that will give you the sexiest blasted finish to either paint or powder coat over. I wouldnt leave the remover sit on the aluminum long before blasting.

those are your options, do what you will.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

If you want to strip powder coat, even thou you dont have to...You can easily scuff the old powder, spary with iron phosphate and recoat...But if you really want to strip old powder or any kind of paint for that matter, nothing works better then chemical stripping...

I drop off 2-4 complete bikes at a time, they put them in big basket dip them in chemicals and they come out clean as hell...And without removing any material from the parts like media blasting usually does...
Old 11-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Dude sell that bike to some unsuspecting person not mentioning the crack, or get a new frame..

What are you gonna do when you mouse trap a coaster at 40mph and your frame busts??

Crack in the frame of a bike that's known for the frame sheering off?? FORGET THAT! Get rid of that death trap.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
listen,get the frame welded by someone who knows what they are doing.like a really good tig welder.then bring it in and have them powder coat it.it gets sand blasted anyways so you wont even see the weld if the coaters are good.

if you weld it and don't heat treat it, wont you just make it brittle and prone to breaking again?

Last edited by Towlieee; 11-12-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 PM

dippah is an unknown quantity at this point

theres some chemical spray you can use to prep the surface really well for paint. if you wanna do it yourself ill find out what its called again. i dont have the money for powder coating so i was gonna use that and some wrinkle black, its kinda like a low gloss black with snowflake type wrinkles in it, on my frame when i have the time. but you should be ableto find both at your local auto store or maybe home depot. heres a pic of that the wrinkle black looks like

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0WTefjgGx...nkle_black.jpg

Last edited by dippah; 11-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:48 PM

jbstunts is a decent person

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
If you want to strip powder coat, even thou you dont have to...You can easily scuff the old powder, spary with iron phosphate and recoat...But if you really want to strip old powder or any kind of paint for that matter, nothing works better then chemical stripping...

I drop off 2-4 complete bikes at a time, they put them in big basket dip them in chemicals and they come out clean as hell...And without removing any material from the parts like media blasting usually does...
how much does that usually cost? and someone said your makin a stay to fit with the hohey tripple?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
Talk to ysrrider on hear he has his own powder coating shop he will give you the run down on this. As for what i think I would have it welded and wile you are at it have the welder reinforce the frame on both sides to prevent it from happining again.
Thanks for the advise guys.
So there is a way to weld and reinforce the frame properly?? Starting to get a little paranoid about a welder anywhere near the frame from all the talk of it weakening.
The frame has been through hell and the crack never got bigger so it seems pretty strong still. Its no longer going to the lot. Still kinda in the back of my mind though if you know what i mean. Redoing the whole bike for a cruiser bike now. Still got the 900 for the lot.

Last edited by BIG BOZE; 11-12-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:36 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BIG BOZE
So there is a way to weld and reinforce the frame properly?? Starting to get a little paranoid about a welder anywhere near the frame from all the talk of it weakening.
The frame has been through hell and the crack never got bigger so it seems pretty strong still. Its no longer going to the lot. Redoing the whole bike for a cruiser bike now. Still got the 900 for the lot.
ya you can weld it, but you MUST heat treat it properly...

Definitely fix it, get a new frame, or sell it!

especially if your ognna ride streets! Don't wanna pick your wheel up at 70mph, and set it down and have your forks separate from the bike..
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

ATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud ofATOWN1101 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BIG BOZE
The frame has been through hell and the crack never got bigger so it seems pretty strong still. Its no longer going to the lot. Still kinda in the back of my mind though if you know what i mean. Redoing the whole bike for a cruiser bike now. Still got the 900 for the lot.
A crack is a crack one way or another its bad plus the fact you say your making it a street bike scares me even more. You cant tell me your not gona ride it and not pull some kinda woolie at some point . Plus it will be at a higher rate of speed if its a street bike. And if that frame is prone to break at that point a new frame might do the same in time. have a welder put some 1/4in thick plate aluminum on that bitch and weld away then have it heat treated. You can never be to safe when your on the road cause if you fall on the highway a car could hit you and kill you. And i dont want to come on hear and hear about you getting run over cause the advice was not taken. Just looking out for the fello rider
Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
ATOWNCUSTOMS

Originally Posted by JohnnyP

and god damn johnny so many parts yet i see no complete bike

Quick Reply: Powder Coating/Painting frame?