Powder Coating/Painting frame?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:02 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice
Re: Powder Coating/Painting frame?

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
If you want to strip powder coat, even thou you dont have to...You can easily scuff the old powder, spary with iron phosphate and recoat...But if you really want to strip old powder or any kind of paint for that matter, nothing works better then chemical stripping...

I drop off 2-4 complete bikes at a time, they put them in big basket dip them in chemicals and they come out clean as hell...And without removing any material from the parts like media blasting usually does...

Iron phosphate does nothing on top of powder....... if its a cleaner/phosphate it will remove light oils like finger oils but the phosphates purpose is to react with the iron in the substrate and an iron phosphate doesnt do anything on aluminum unless it has fluoride in it and its still not a true conversion coating.

a light sand blast and rinse with an alkaline cleaner or a phosphate with a cleaner is the way to go. +1 on chemical stripping to remove powder but I dont know what the dip tank acid will do to aluminum.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 PM

GORBO is a decent person

if he were to rattlecan everything, does it need to be done in a warm temp location?
(I heard something about paint doesnt stick right if its too cold or too damp in the area where its painted),

whats the cure time as well for rattle?

and whats the best spray paint for something like this, I was going to do spare frame flat black, does it need to be for metals or some of the high temp paint?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:48 PM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

i can tell you from experience i had an 03 gsxr 750 with that same hairline crack at the neck of the frame. if you do not get it proffessionally welded PRONTO! it will continue and your frame will snap. those bikes are notorious for that. just rattrapping one too many times creates those cracks. gixxer frames are weak so get it reinforced and be damn sure the dude knows his **** when it comes to welding or kiss your bike goodbye.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 PM

zxcraig is a decent person

go with the powder coat !!!!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 618.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	216584  
Old 11-12-2008, 11:49 PM

YSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really niceYSRRider is just really nice

the less humidity the faster it will dry, and yes, cold will slow the process.... the chemicals in the paint dont evaporate/dry quick when its cold.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by zxcraig
go with the powder coat !!!!!!!!!!
dude, that bike looks pretty sick except for those skank *** dirty rims!!!!!!!

go to auto zone and get a can of BRAKELLEN! you know what? get 2 cans... you're gonna need it!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:06 AM

jewlz is a decent person

what is this heat treat you speak of?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 AM
brabuhburbuh

Danger_Dave can only hope to improve

wow that blue and white bike looks ****!
how much does it cost for powdercoating anyways?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:22 AM

BIG BOZE is a decent person

Originally Posted by ATOWN1101
A crack is a crack one way or another its bad plus the fact you say your making it a street bike scares me even more. You cant tell me your not gona ride it and not pull some kinda woolie at some point . Plus it will be at a higher rate of speed if its a street bike. And if that frame is prone to break at that point a new frame might do the same in time. have a welder put some 1/4in thick plate aluminum on that bitch and weld away then have it heat treated. You can never be to safe when your on the road cause if you fall on the highway a car could hit you and kill you. And i dont want to come on hear and hear about you getting run over cause the advice was not taken. Just looking out for the fello rider

I appreciate the looking out. I will look into all this.
Wish i had some pics to post up because everyone seems to be talking about cracks at the neck and thats all good on mine.
The cracks are about an inch long kinda toward the middle. I was told by a very credible friend who owned it before me that it was from the gas tank vibrating agaist it because the rubber peice that goes in between the tank and the frame wasnt there for a while.

i will try to get a pic soon. It will be easy to explain that way.
Thanks for the advise everyone.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by YSRRider
dude, that bike looks pretty sick except for those skank *** dirty rims!!!!!!!

go to auto zone and get a can of BRAKELLEN! you know what? get 2 cans... you're gonna need it!!!!

the wheels didnt get powder coated. i spray painted them. im getting chrome wheels on it during the winter months !!!!!!!!! and i paid $250 for all the powder coating !!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:52 PM

the wheels didnt get powder coated. i spray painted them. im getting chrome wheels on it during the winter months !!!!!!!!! and i paid $250 for all the powder coating !!!!!
chrome is for squids, and chroming weakens the cast aluminum.

spray paint
Old 11-13-2008, 01:16 PM

chrome is for squids, and chroming weakens the cast aluminum.

spray paint

yea,yea,yea i know,,, but i do think it would look good,,
we'll see !!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:27 PM
is a squid

BIG-D is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn man, where at?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:49 PM

yea,yea,yea i know,,, but i do think it would look good,,
we'll see !!!!!
powder the center and polish the lips, that would look dope!

powder is the new chrome!
Old 11-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by BIG-D
Damn man, where at?

hit me up d !!!! i know a guy that owns his own powder coating company here in davenport !!!!!!!!!!! hooks me up with a good deal !!! tons of color options.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:07 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

Iron phosphate does nothing on top of powder....... if its a cleaner/phosphate it will remove light oils like finger oils but the phosphates purpose is to react with the iron in the substrate and an iron phosphate doesnt do anything on aluminum unless it has fluoride in it and its still not a true conversion coating.

a light sand blast and rinse with an alkaline cleaner or a phosphate with a cleaner is the way to go. +1 on chemical stripping to remove powder but I dont know what the dip tank acid will do to aluminum.
Maybe Im wrong about the Iron Phosphate, but I get my info from my powder coater and hes been coating for 18 years....They have an automatic line, and every part he does steel or aluminum goes through an iron phosphate wash before being coated..He says it does alot of things, but most importantly for the finish it promotes adhesion, and minamizes gassing and pin holes....

And I bought some Iron phosphate from the company Im buying fancy color powders from (Columbia Coatings) and they tell you to spay Iron Ph on everything steel, aluminum, raw or already powder coated....

Ive done parts with and without it, and it just comes out better with it IMO ...
Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
Maybe Im wrong about the Iron Phosphate, but I get my info from my powder coater and hes been coating for 18 years....They have an automatic line, and every part he does steel or aluminum goes through an iron phosphate wash before being coated..He says it does alot of things, but most importantly for the finish it promotes adhesion, and minamizes gassing and pin holes....

And I bought some Iron phosphate from the company Im buying fancy color powders from (Columbia Coatings) and they tell you to spay Iron Ph on everything steel, aluminum, raw or already powder coated....

Ive done parts with and without it, and it just comes out better with it IMO ...
technology is moving so rapidly in the powder coating industry because its "green", most all phosphates MAY have cleaners in them but there are so many different ones out there now and each one is slightly different from the other. yes, a phosphate gives the powder a better bond and will help keep the coating from falling off if the coating gets chipped and a rust spot forms. there is no iron in aluminum so an iron phosphate cant react with the metal, thats why they add fluoride to some phosphates, it gives the aluminum a small conversion coating... generally people dont even phosphate aluminum, a good soft sandblast with clean media is sufficient. There are a few things that can cause pinhole in coatings, moisture in the powder, moisture still in the part before it was coated, or inadequate coating thickness. Outgassing occures most on cast aluminum and cast steel.... I have never had a set of jap bike wheels outgas!

How are you applying the Iron Phosphate? how are you mixing it? One chemical that you may want to try is Carpenter Chemicals A447, it rocks!!!!! its a plaforization, not exactly a phosphate, but it works on all metals, the nice thing about it is it traps residual oils in the metals so you dont get fish eyes, out of the thousands of pieces that I coated I only had 2 pieces that came out looking like trash. Call them and they will send you a sample.... when you get it, hit me up, I'll tell you how I used it.

**** on Columbia Coatings and Eastwood! I'm pretty sure that they get all their powder from www.nicindustiries.com check them out, they are super hard to find if you are looking for people that sell powder. they sell the dopest of colors!

Last edited by YSRRider; 11-13-2008 at 05:30 PM.