MMI vs. Wyotech

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough
Re: MMI vs. Wyotech

Originally Posted by Scott982
Those schools are a big waste of money. If your going to spend $30,000 go to a real college, working on cars and bikes for a living sucks...imo
+1 alot of guys I know where there and they sell bike parts.. 20k for a year to sell parts??? Get a real degree for sure.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 PM

Hazen is a decent person

There has been 7-12 threads in the last 2 years asking this exact same question. I gave lengthy responses in several of them.

Bottom line - don't waste your time or money at MMI. Period.

I went there, paid the money, invested the time, and got laughed at by every manager of every shop down here when I looked for a job as an MMI students. Cops will hate you, shops will laugh at you, and most apartment complexes will turn you away.

My roomate did all the MMI electives and happens to be a great wrench - not a skill that he aquired at MMI. Even with his $26,000 education he can't get a job down here making more than 9 dollars an hour. 9 friggin dollars.... are you kidding me? I on the other hand left MMI after taking the basic required courses to attain "In the Field Experience" and make more money in 2 days than he does in a week. Needless to say, he's not happy about the 2 years of his life that he invested.

Yes you can go there and learn alot. Yes alot of the teachers are straight up ********. Grumpy, bitter old men - that think they were the greatest thing on 2 wheels "back when bikers were really bikers" Every one of them will tell you they won races and did wheelies and rode with the Hells Angels and drag raced corvettes with their 1888 KZ-400's.... it's a great place to hear stories - but if you already know which end of a wrench to pick up, then go get a job at a shop. Sweep the floor, wash the bikes, and watch the good techs. The Techs that make 60, 70, 80 grand a year! Get on their good side and learn from them. This way you're making money as you gain knowledge and experience, as apposed to paying for an empty education.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Jtr32s is a decent person

Originally Posted by Hazen
There has been 7-12 threads in the last 2 years asking this exact same question. I gave lengthy responses in several of them.

Bottom line - don't waste your time or money at MMI. Period.

I went there, paid the money, invested the time, and got laughed at by every manager of every shop down here when I looked for a job as an MMI students. Cops will hate you, shops will laugh at you, and most apartment complexes will turn you away.

My roomate did all the MMI electives and happens to be a great wrench - not a skill that he aquired at MMI. Even with his $26,000 education he can't get a job down here making more than 9 dollars an hour. 9 friggin dollars.... are you kidding me? I on the other hand left MMI after taking the basic required courses to attain "In the Field Experience" and make more money in 2 days than he does in a week. Needless to say, he's not happy about the 2 years of his life that he invested.

Yes you can go there and learn alot. Yes alot of the teachers are straight up ********. Grumpy, bitter old men - that think they were the greatest thing on 2 wheels "back when bikers were really bikers" Every one of them will tell you they won races and did wheelies and rode with the Hells Angels and drag raced corvettes with their 1888 KZ-400's.... it's a great place to hear stories - but if you already know which end of a wrench to pick up, then go get a job at a shop. Sweep the floor, wash the bikes, and watch the good techs. The Techs that make 60, 70, 80 grand a year! Get on their good side and learn from them. This way you're making money as you gain knowledge and experience, as apposed to paying for an empty education.

same reason why i didnt go to MMI. The getting the job at the shop is the hard part.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Call me *Point Blank*

cbr_stunt is an unknown quantity at this point

The only reason im thinking of going there is for learning more about internal parts and electrical
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM

rrsquid is a decent person

dont plan on making any cash if fl period, pay attention to the instructors and dont **** around and you will make good cash in the long run thoughs who are haters on eigther school can't follow instructions or show up to class anyways and fail or they are to cool to ask ? so if your going to go and spend the money dont **** around and ask ? and it will be worth it.
good luck!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
Stuntride.com

R1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of lightR1wonder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Scott982
Those schools are a big waste of money. If your going to spend $30,000 go to a real college, working on cars and bikes for a living sucks...imo
i agree, i think that **** can be stressful and alot of times they dont make alot of money. go to school for something medical. cheap and they pay sooo good. **** a nurse starts out here in NY around 50k a yr or more
Old 11-15-2008, 03:14 PM

I have been talking to a couple of dealers in the northern states and they said starting pay was around 45k-50k average fresh out of school you can make a lot more if your motovated most dealers will only hire factory backed techs. so do your research before you pick your school.
I will agree half the instructors expect you to know everything the first day and they do over cram the ratio between students and instructors @ MMI which is bullshit but some times in life you have to just deal with it
Old 11-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

ehhhh my 2 cents

you either know bikes or you don't.. If you don't feel like you already in the position to all basic maintenance to a bike, I wouldn't waste time with school..

All my local dealers have idiots working there, they are lucky to properly change oil and adjust your chain..
Old 11-15-2008, 03:52 PM

kwebb is a decent person

i worked at a dealer and the head tech didnt go to school anywhere. the they fired a couple guys who came from mmi. i was gonna go but the more i looked into it you better off just worken on bikes on the side and learning that way.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:24 PM

zeerider is a decent person

Seminole Community College between Orlando and Daytona offers automotive service technology certificates for 3K a year. That sounds like a much better deal. It's not motorcycle specific, but most shops wouldn't really require that for a entry-level tech anyway. More likely they would just want someone with some proven mechanical aptitude.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:27 PM

zeerider is a decent person

You could go to the aviation institute of maintenance, that way, you would be bankin', and you'd have access to plenty of airport asphalt to practice on.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Whitetrash

JEFF4EZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CORUPTEDSPEEDTX
.... learn from hands on training and read what you can. all service depts have service manuals to walk you through any problems...
Originally Posted by rrsquid
dont plan on making any cash if fl period, pay attention to the instructors and dont **** around and you will make good cash in the long run thoughs who are haters on eigther school can't follow instructions or show up to class anyways and fail or they are to cool to ask ? so if your going to go and spend the money dont **** around and ask ? and it will be worth it.
good luck!

and either way it doesnt' matter because you will either end up in o town or daytona doing power wheelies at our spots
Old 11-15-2008, 11:01 PM
UDOWN?

I <3 wheelies is a decent person

**** mmi you pay them to treat you like a moron thats still in high school

i grad that place with a 3.5 gpa and i didnt even try...i saw them pass people i wouldnt even trust to put a sticker on my bike......all they care about is making money....MMI= MORE MONEY INISTUTE,the orlando campus anyways...cant speak for te one in az

when i got a job in my first shop everyone there could of cared less that i went to mmi they all called it the mickey mouse inistute.....
Old 11-15-2008, 11:10 PM
UDOWN?

Originally Posted by rrsquid
good luck!

thats bull ****.....i never fucked around and missed class.......the made me take a course over because i forgot to sign out the last friday of the clinic..had a b in the class..and i was sick the week b4 so i was at 8 hrs already and i forgot to sign back in at luch and then again at the end of the day...the teacher knew i was there...i was working on my bike till well after the ******* bell...but nope.....and guess what they did...put me on a 12 week leave..were i just had to chill in ******* orlando...pay rent and scrap by in that **** hole..which is when i got arrested for wheelie's on the fl turn pike..... .......i seen then **** so many people over with that kinda ****..they dont care that half the students are barley surviving .....the only good teacher are gone..doc.j and jim.p
Old 11-16-2008, 01:04 AM
KYD
Retarded

KYD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stuntsteel
there is a place in OHIO i forget the name of it.. met them at IMS last year...
supposed to be a lot better than MMI or Wyo....

P- (484) 494-3136
yeah its called Ohio Technical Institute. But the powersport class is called PSI(PowerSports Institute) i went there and came out with full certification in Yamah, Honda, Kawi, Suzuki, Victory/Polaris, Ski-Doo, and Harley Davidson. Some reall good teachers there. But when i went it was just startin out and they didnt have all the kinks worked out quite yet so it was a bunch of bullshit for me. But now PSI is in its own building seperate from OTC. Its in an old mall in Randall, Ohio. They have a good # of tools and training aids. the condition of some of the bikes werent that great but you learn a lot. Even how to use some of the newest diagnostics equipment like HDS. I went for a lil under 1 year at a tuition cost of 16,900, but i included room and board for an entire year so the grand total was 26,900. but tuition went up to 18 and some change i believe. all in all not a bad school. im sure its improved since then.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:55 AM
injured

purcy89 is a decent person

Originally Posted by I <3 wheelies
thats bull ****.....i never fucked around and missed class.......the made me take a course over because i forgot to sign out the last friday of the clinic..had a b in the class..and i was sick the week b4 so i was at 8 hrs already and i forgot to sign back in at luch and then again at the end of the day...the teacher knew i was there...i was working on my bike till well after the ******* bell...but nope.....and guess what they did...put me on a 12 week leave..were i just had to chill in ******* orlando...pay rent and scrap by in that **** hole..which is when i got arrested for wheelie's on the fl turn pike..... .......i seen then **** so many people over with that kinda ****..they dont care that half the students are barley surviving .....the only good teacher are gone..doc.j and jim.p
which teacher did that **** to u, i attended from 7/24/06- 9/21/07, and btw, i heard from my buddy, Dr. J came back, and when did Jim paylay leave?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 AM
UDOWN?

Originally Posted by purcy89
which teacher did that **** to u, i attended from 7/24/06- 9/21/07, and btw, i heard from my buddy, Dr. J came back, and when did Jim paylay leave?
i dont remember the teachers name...was clinic #9...dyno.....wasnt less tho...was some other dick....thats awsome if doc j came back he's the man...he called me once after i grad like 6 mths later to c how i was...and as for jim im not actually 100% for sure he left...when i grad i saw him at the ceremony and he told me he was teaching his last clinic and had put in his notice......i never went back to the campus after i grad i was there from dec 2005 till june 2007
Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by I <3 wheelies
yea that is some bull ****!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:12 PM

h_lowder636 is a decent person

i graduated from mmi in 06, its good but if you dont have a pretty good idea of whats going on b4 u get ther, then u mite miss out. ther not guna make a master tech, but it gives you a good basic all around experience. and it does help to have some training behind you. and yes its pricey for a low starting out income, but i mean, come on yur workin on bikes that you get to ride tha **** out of when you get done with tha job!!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:02 PM

smokeymcpot is a decent person

I went to mmi in az. I thought it wuz well worth it.