636 gas tank splash guard

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:46 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light
636 gas tank splash guard

So I'm about to dent my new tank, but I'm curious how much I should cut down this splash guard. I seem to remember hearing I could cut it wrong and shaft myself, any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep
Re: 636 gas tank splash guard

wait till your done denting it then just cut as little as possible
Old 10-17-2008, 02:51 PM
Brap

T-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the roughT-Dubby is a jewel in the rough

That's why I love F4i tanks..
Old 10-17-2008, 02:59 PM

TL MILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

just cut it out before you dent it and pull it out through the fuel pump hole
Name:  DSC01138.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  76.4 KB
Old 10-17-2008, 03:15 PM

inolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of lightinolen is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by old man roger
wait till your done denting it then just cut as little as possible
Just enough to be able to fill it up? If I cut too much will I end up leaking gas out everywhere?
Old 10-17-2008, 03:17 PM
also known as OMR

old man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for repold man roger User spends way too much time asking for rep

Originally Posted by inolen
Just enough to be able to fill it up? If I cut too much will I end up leaking gas out everywhere?
mine looks like millers ,just try not to get too close to the top
Old 10-17-2008, 03:19 PM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

i wish i would of known this trick when i did my tank job
Old 10-17-2008, 03:20 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by atl freestyle
i wish i would of known this trick when i did my tank job
it can be done after the fact
Old 10-17-2008, 03:25 PM

TL MILLER is an unknown quantity at this point

it can be done after the fact
^+1 i have 2 tanks the 2nd one i have was already dented with the splash guard in.. just used a dremel.. and took it out through the fuel pump
Old 10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
ROWDY'S WHEELIES

atl freestyle is an unknown quantity at this point

next time my tank comes off the bike i am gonna do it. what about getting any metal shavings in the gas tank from cutting it out???

i am about tired of the 5 minutes before a session that it takes to fill my tank up
Old 10-17-2008, 04:03 PM
dedrater

verticaljay is a decent person

I used a hammer and a chisel and just tapped all the way around after cutting it in half and pulled it out.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
also known as OMR

next time my tank comes off the bike i am gonna do it. what about getting any metal shavings in the gas tank from cutting it out???

i am about tired of the 5 minutes before a session that it takes to fill my tank up
you will get metal and grinding dust in your tank it's unavoidable , just wash out the tank before and after cutting it [before so you don't blow up..lol]
Old 10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Bacons Hot, Need a Spot

cjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud ofcjoec01 has much to be proud of

Waiting on a rear set I was goin to cut me out to get ready to hammer it, but i filled up before getting home, 4.5 gal. gas is a lot when you got no where to put it.
Thought about the explosion factor also, drain it let it dry completely grind then rinse with some gas? Try keeping water out? Rust?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:01 PM

DIRTYJEFF636s is a decent person

you will get metal and grinding dust in your tank it's unavoidable , just wash out the tank before and after cutting it [before so you don't blow up..lol]
good point
Old 10-17-2008, 05:11 PM

Johnf is an unknown quantity at this point

when i did a buddy's,, there was a lot so i rinsed it out a few times and there seemed to be a lot of metal still in it so i used a magnet on a stick at the at the lowest point,,, swished it around a few times and most of the crap i could not get over the lip was stuck to the magnet,,, worked great,,, like a drain plug on you oil pan,,,,,,
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I Love To Post!

Compton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud ofCompton82 has much to be proud of

Just make sure you dont cut the entire thing out or it will leak.

that may have been said already, I didnt read the entire thread
Old 10-17-2008, 05:22 PM

JohnnyP is a decent person

You just have to watch out for the drain tube that runs from under the cap area through the tank and out the back where the black hose attaches....If you look aournd the cap area there is a little hole on the left side, thats the tube...So when your cutting on that side try your best not to go to far cutting into the tube thats inside the tank...If you do cut it anything split ontop around the gas cap (like rain water) will mix into your gas tank, and when you wheelie gas will **** out....

Leant that the hard way, bought a used tank that was already dented and had the splash guard cut out. And whoever did it cut the tube, so rain water was getting into my tank and gas split out.....I plugged the hole and everything was good, but from then on I knew to watch out for the tube when cutting the splash guards out..
Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Compton82
Just make sure you dont cut the entire thing out or it will leak.

that may have been said already, I didnt read the entire thread
It looks like TL MILLER cut most of it out, can you even cut anymore out?

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
You just have to watch out for the drain tube that runs from under the cap area through the tank and out the back where the black hose attaches....If you look aournd the cap area there is a little hole on the left side, thats the tube...So when your cutting on that side try your best not to go to far cutting into the tube thats inside the tank...If you do cut it anything split ontop around the gas cap (like rain water) will mix into your gas tank, and when you wheelie gas will **** out....

Leant that the hard way, bought a used tank that was already dented and had the splash guard cut out. And whoever did it cut the tube, so rain water was getting into my tank and gas split out.....I plugged the hole and everything was good, but from then on I knew to watch out for the tube when cutting the splash guards out..
Thanks man.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:17 PM
also known as OMR

Originally Posted by inolen
It looks like TL MILLER cut most of it out, can you even cut anymore out?

Thanks man.
no need to cut any more then that out
Old 10-17-2008, 06:42 PM

Righteous 1 has a spectacular aura aboutRighteous 1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cjoec01
Waiting on a rear set I was goin to cut me out to get ready to hammer it, but i filled up before getting home, 4.5 gal. gas is a lot when you got no where to put it.
Thought about the explosion factor also, drain it let it dry completely grind then rinse with some gas? Try keeping water out? Rust?
Drain it, rinse w/ water, grind, rinse w/ water, let it dry, fill her up. Water won't hurt your tank unless it's left to sit, then it will rust. As long as the project is done in a timely fashion, you'll be good. DON'T try to grind it w/out rinsing w/ water....we like you, Joe....want to keep ya around!

Quick Reply: 636 gas tank splash guard