Oil light

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 AM

motosikel is a decent person
Oil light

I just put my cage on. Today I was just seein what hit when it lays over. So I GENTLY laid it on its side. Left it for a second amd picked backup. Well abt 30 mins later go to start up and leave. When start it up, the oil light stays on. I check the little oil window and its full (with a 1\2 quart over). Not sure what it is... I read the manual and it said it might be the oil pressure, but like I said I'm not sure. Any suggestions? BTW I have the peri mod, dont know if that would contribute anything or not.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:18 AM

Re: Oil light

****... I know... This goes in maintenance...
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 AM

My Bad...
Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

dude I dunno what the deal is, but on my f4i, if I lay it on the side for more then like 10 seconds, then it takes 30 seconds to a full minute to rebuild oil pressure!

I checked the oil pump, its in spec, and the pickup and pickup screen, all are fine...

It scares me everytime its sitting there idling for 20+ seconds with no pressure, but I just make sure to always restart the bike real fast after laying it down, that way it can rebuild pressure while the parts are still covered in oil.........

btw 33k miles on my motor, rev limiter daily, still running strong :YEAH :YEAH
Old 10-13-2008, 03:58 AM
SEAT SPREADER COMBOS

burnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura aboutburnoutnut has a spectacular aura about

i seized a motor doing that excact thing dude

my oil light didnt go off and then a small ticking started then it got louder and louder and louder
Old 10-13-2008, 10:37 AM

so should I just let the motor run for a full min or what? Ya'll are starting to worry me...
Old 10-13-2008, 11:50 AM
****s Top Secret!!!

BrianD is a decent person

Well that sounds like a common problem that happens with the 636 motors. When ever I lay my bike down on the right side or even just change my oil, it creates an oil pocket between the pump and the filter. No oil will run through the engine. So what I do is slowly tip my bike to the left side and lift it back up a couple times while its running and that usually alleviates the problem. I blew a motor up last year doin chain saws and not realizing my oil light had went on. Good luck with everything.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:22 PM

So basically I should let my engine run? Is that what ya'll are sayin? Or should I go ahead and buy an oil pressure gauge and f*ck with that.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:00 AM

C'mon now....
Old 10-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Towlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of lightTowlieee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by motosikel
So basically I should let my engine run? Is that what ya'll are sayin? Or should I go ahead and buy an oil pressure gauge and f*ck with that.
well if your wanna get technical

what you SHOULD do is drop the oil pan and make sure the oil pickup is clean and clear, and the pickup gasket is fine.. And you should also pull the right side case cover and remove the clutch and oil pump and inspect the oil pump..

Or you can just start your bike, run it, and see if you build pressure. But if you don't get pressure, your engine is fucked
Old 10-14-2008, 01:07 PM

keithk76 is an unknown quantity at this point

here is what you need to do: loosen the oil filter just slightly and turn the motor over a couple times. oil is going to shoot out of the filter base but so will the air pocket. then tighten the filter and start it up and the oil light will go out. do not run your engine at all if the oil light is on shut it off immediately.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I Chose to No Longer Post

Ryan S is a decent person

my 636 does the same, i think it's because the tip over switch is still operational.......light turns off after a few rev limits....
Old 10-14-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by keithk76
here is what you need to do: loosen the oil filter just slightly and turn the motor over a couple times. oil is going to shoot out of the filter base but so will the air pocket. then tighten the filter and start it up and the oil light will go out. do not run your engine at all if the oil light is on shut it off immediately.
ya like I wanna get soaked in oil 2-20 times a day when I lose pressure